Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 20 April 2015, 12:06
Authorized Personnel

PJs in Butte

Dropping In

Pretty cool picture from last week from some guys doing training with a local company, The Peak, Inc.
Old 20 April 2015, 13:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Dropping In

Pretty cool picture from last week from some guys doing training with a local company, The Peak, Inc.
Interesting. Just wondering what "The Peak" though is doing that is any different than they could learn at Fairchild. Of course understand since the Peak is ran by a comer career PJ, he may understand how to implement better what PJs specifically need?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20 April 2015, 13:42
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Rod is good people. Whenever we would send our CCT/PJ there for training I'd provide Bourbon for him.... he likes it
Old 20 April 2015, 14:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Interesting. Just wondering what "The Peak" though is doing that is any different than they could learn at Fairchild. Of course understand since the Peak is ran by a comer career PJ, he may understand how to implement better what PJs specifically need?
Not sure. I know they were jumping into the Highlands - 10,000'

Looks like they have a team of pros running it.

http://www.thepeakinc.com/
SATCOM I'd be glad to drop a bottle off for him if you want.

Looks like they are always looking for pros. And it's cheap to live here and all the outdoors you could handle.
http://www.thepeakinc.com/employ.html

Last edited by KidA; 20 April 2015 at 14:17.
Old 20 April 2015, 15:18
Old and Broke

Quote:
I don't recall any DZ's at Fairchild, and getting recurring training from the SERE School may not be possible.

It's often cheaper to get it from a civilian school then work through all the AETC BS.
Old 20 April 2015, 20:19
Been There Done That

Who would teach at Fairchild? The reason for Montana is the access to 10K high altitude DZ training, all skills for that are being taught internally.
Old 20 April 2015, 20:34
Authorized Personnel

First and last round on me if any SOCNET members come out to train.
Old 20 April 2015, 22:24
Authorized Personnel

Peak is somewhat of a "fixer"; you tell them what kind of training you want and Rod will bring in SME's to provide it.

We spent about two weeks there a few years ago doing high angle and white water rescue, a three day high altitude traverse and drops to high altitude DZ's - good training, all around.
Old 21 April 2015, 14:04
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
I don't recall any DZ's at Fairchild, and getting recurring training from the SERE School may not be possible.

It's often cheaper to get it from a civilian school then work through all the AETC BS.
There's a couple on Fairchild, but of course it's much lower than what's out in Butte.

And dealing w/ AETC BS is definitely motivator to go w/ civilian schools...ask me how I know.
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 26 April 2015, 11:42
That Others May Live

Rod is a great guy and was a very, very good PJ. Ask him to tell you about his Christmas in Panama.
Old 29 April 2015, 10:54

Quote:
I have never heard of any kind of advanced free fall or any other PJ specific tng (other than SERE) being taught at Fairchild.
Old 29 April 2015, 15:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
It's not so much AETC BS as it is more cost effective and more course being available pertinent to units being able to reconcile scheduling conflicts with deployments and other Operational demands.

For example te Pararescue School had two operating locations from the mid 1980s to mid 1990s. The OL at Nellis was a foreign weapons/tactical shooting course and at Little Rock was a small team tactical skills course for lack of a better description. All the instructors were PJs and with manning and OPS tempo being as it was becoming it was becoming too manpower and other costs expensive combined with units getting too undermanned and stressed with increasing OPSTEMPO to get sufficient numbers of students to keep it cost effective.

Further, particularly with anything concerning ground munitions and weapons or any thing that had appearances of being Pre Ranger or a Ranger type course the USAF Security Forces and CATMS mafia would get their panty's in the a wad over if it isn't the Security Forces way.
Old 21 May 2015, 09:30
Been There Done That

Rod / Peak are pretty active, as was mentioned, they can tailor courses / training as needed.

Ran into him twice a few years ago, once at Ft. Harrison outside Helena when I was at the Mountain States Tactical Officers conference. Pretty sure he helped a former PJ turned CAG guy I know land / run the pistol and carbine course they were running. I'm pretty sure the second time was in Eloy, AZ.

As I get older, my memory fades but I'm pretty sure Peak and some University in Montana were working the specs for this PJ simulation system we were going to bid on as well.

Our new posting rules