Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 15 December 2015, 13:49

Ranger School

Does anyone have current insight into what the likelihood of getting a ranger school slot after CAQC is? In recent years these slots have been harder to get in the big Army. Curious to know what it's like on the SOF side. Thanks.
Old 15 December 2015, 14:04
Not quite right...

Slim to Very Slim

Good luck
Old 15 December 2015, 14:09

Additionally, what's the culture like in CA in terms of having a tab? For example, if you're an infantry officer in an infantry battalion you better have a tab if you want to go anywhere in life. Does that sentiment exist in CA?
Old 15 December 2015, 14:11
Not quite right...

For an O, there is no benefit, nor is there any expectation for 38's to be tabbed. If you were enlisted, that would be different, you'd be considered a stud.
Old 15 December 2015, 14:15

I can see a scenario where you're briefing some ambassador or something and he doesn't take you seriously because you're not a Ranger. It's amazing how much credence people pay the tab. I'm an officer and don't care about being tabbed unless it gives me more credibility with people I work with both inside the CA branch and with state department and NGO types. It really doesn't matter?
Old 15 December 2015, 14:21
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I have worked with senior officers, politicians, ambassadors, religious leaders, and senior business/executive leadership of US and foreign nations and have NEVER heard anything remotely supporting the above comment....
Old 15 December 2015, 14:27

That's great to hear. Thanks for your knowledge.
Old 15 December 2015, 16:49
Not quite right...

I was a 38 officer from 1992 to 2009, tabbed since 1980, and the only issue of credibility was from the Chief of Surinam's air force, who wanted to know if since I was a Ranger I had the mental agility to approach the problem set we were wrangling with. He was joking, of course, but it goes to show just how far out of kilter some thinking can be.

You want a tab, are an officer, and yet profess to not caring about getting it unless it gives you more credibility with CA, DoS, and NGOs?

I'd like to modify what I said in my initial post...

"Slim to None"

Even if you were to get a shot, you likely would be one of those who fall by the wayside.
Old 15 December 2015, 17:21
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I was a 38 officer from 1992 to 2009, tabbed since 1980, and the only issue of credibility was from the Chief of Surinam's air force, who wanted to know if since I was a Ranger I had the mental agility to approach the problem set we were wrangling with. He was joking, of course, but it goes to show just how far out of kilter some thinking can be.

You want a tab, are an officer, and yet profess to not caring about getting it unless it gives you more credibility with CA, DoS, and NGOs?

I'd like to modify what I said in my initial post...

"Slim to None"

Even if you were to get a shot, you likely would be one of those who fall by the wayside.

LMMFAO BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Choke yourself.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 15 December 2015, 17:39

HAHA!! oh this is great, really enjoy this forum. No really, I enjoy these comments. I don't pretend to be as impressive as a lot of people in the Army, or on this forum. But I'll keep trying my best. We'll likely never know if I'd fall by the wayside, since apparently I'm not getting a slot. I'll keep working to get one regardless. Choking myself out doesn't sound like a great alternative.
Old 15 December 2015, 17:56

I think no matter what anyone says people want a tab for credibility. If they say they don't it's a lie. So yeah, I'll admit to that. But I also want one because I like those hard, crappy things that you gotta get through. It's a rewarding feeling personally.
Old 15 December 2015, 18:01
Authorized Personnel

A tab should be "wanted" as a reminder and insignia signifying a personal accomplishment...regardless of what anyone else would think about. YOU earned it...THEY didn't. Again, it shouldn't be a sign of credibility...that should rely upon your honor and integrity as a leader.

Also, there are times one must grow thick skin and then there are times one must go beyond that and grow scales. As a leader, you should grow scales.
Old 15 December 2015, 18:04
Been There Done That

Any credibility gained by uniform bling is meaningless.

Real credibility is gained thru competence, integrity, and leadership.
Old 15 December 2015, 18:07

Totally agree with you Gavin, I've also learned that people in the army seem to lose their minds and do anything for people with some bling. It's utterly embarrassing and curious, but it's a thing.
Old 15 December 2015, 20:56
One jump chump

I think you're missing the point and I wouldn't be laughing at some of the things that these experienced gentlemen are saying to you. Go to school if you are sincerely interested in testing/bettering yourself, your Soldiers, and your organization. If you go because you think that it is expected of you, or is just a piece of bling to be had, then you'll have a high likelihood of failure.

Concerning getting slots while serving under 1st SFC... Not difficult at all. Just don't waste a slot and our tax dollars for the wrong reasons.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”

Last edited by 37F5V; 15 December 2015 at 21:00. Reason: Removed inadvertent quote... Bourbon.
Old 15 December 2015, 23:10
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled eggs View Post
I can see a scenario where you're briefing some ambassador or something and he doesn't take you seriously because you're not a Ranger. It's amazing how much credence people pay the tab. I'm an officer and don't care about being tabbed unless it gives me more credibility with people I work with both inside the CA branch and with state department and NGO types.
LMAO, I'm not gunna hop on the beat down train (actually I might after reading that), but if an AMBO is only going to take you seriously if you have a short tab there are far greater issues at hand. At the end of the day, No. One. Gives. A. Fuck.

But yeah, you're a fucking douche for saying you don't want a short tab unless you get something out of it. It's kind of the antithesis of going to school, but whateves, us enlisted swine are just here to get your promoted...
Old 15 December 2015, 23:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
...but whateves, us enlisted swine are just here to get your promoted...
Speak for yourself, man. I am here for the quality healthcare and sense of purpose I gain from serving my country!!!

Murica!
Old 16 December 2015, 00:09

Hey a lot of good info here. Genuinely appreciate the input. I don't mean to disrespect others comments, certainly not those of people who have tread te path I'm trying to go. Ultimately I want to go to ranger tab for myself. I see it as doing something that is hard and being gratifying because I didn't give up. I posed the original question because I have a fear that Id be entering an organization where a tab is expected and I don't have one. I very much want to measure up to my leaders expectations and do a good job. It's easy to consider an anonymous guy in here a "douche" based on questions asked. Sorry if that's your opinion of me, I guess that's the nature of online forums.

As for the idea that enlisted are just here to get officers promoted. Saddens me to hear that enlisted feel that way. I've loved my enlisted guys I've served with. It's felt like a genuine effort on my part and theirs to move the mission forward. I know that they and I have collectively felt that we are helping each other along in our careers. They've told me as much. Hopefully you have some positive experiences with officers that change your thinking on that topic.
Old 16 December 2015, 00:11

Shoot. Typing on my phone, sorry for the typos and general idiocy.
Old 16 December 2015, 09:38
Been There Done That

Considering half of the people in the State Dept. are Mormons, and the other half are Homosexuals - you may gain more credibility being associated with either one of those demographics than having a Ranger Tab.

For credibility with NGOs, during the initial conversation just hint that you may have access to future donor funding resources. They will be pawing all over you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our new posting rules