Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 16 December 2015, 12:04
Dulce et Decorum est...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledeggs
anonymous
LOL... you're the ONLY 'anonymous' person in this thread. All other posters are vetted / well-known veterans. They certainly aren't hiding behind any moniker of anonymity.
Old 16 December 2015, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
LOL... you're the ONLY 'anonymous' person in this thread. All other posters are vetted / well-known veterans. They certainly aren't hiding behind any moniker of anonymity.
Well, we all have to start somewhere.
Old 16 December 2015, 13:47
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

se -- if you're an officer, then the common thinking is that you are educated and a trained decision maker. As such, take a step back and realize that some of your posts are simply digging holes -- like the one above.

You received an answer(s), it/they was sincere, and you could even find more sincere answers awaiting you if you cease the hole digging. OK, the hole digging won't change the sincerity of the answers, but it might change the flavor....
Old 16 December 2015, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
se -- if you're an officer, then the common thinking is that you are educated and a trained decision maker. As such, take a step back and realize that some of your posts are simply digging holes -- like the one above.

You received an answer(s), it/they was sincere, and you could even find more sincere answers awaiting you if you cease the hole digging. OK, the hole digging won't change the sincerity of the answers, but it might change the flavor....
Got it, thanks. I don't mean to dig holes or disrespect. This was my first question in this forum, I'm learning fast.
Old 16 December 2015, 15:35
Cry havoc

Just curious, are you male or female?

Two eyes from the east.
Old 16 December 2015, 16:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
if an AMBO is only going to take you seriously if you have a short tab...
I'm going to guess that most ambassadors couldn't even explain the difference between a Ranger Tab and an EGA, nor do they care. In most cases, you're just another guy in funny clothes interfering with their "diplomacy". Or you're a servant there to fix things for them so they can get back to "diplomacy".
Old 16 December 2015, 17:36
Dulce et Decorum est...

Re: Ambassadors

Chances of a CA bubba actually briefing an Ambassador: Slim to nearly zilch. If you're a COL, then your chances are better. As a bubba... LOL.

I did brief a DAO on a couple of occasions, in a tiny embassy (Suriname), and got to meet the assistant to the Ambassador, so maybe that counted?

Actual Embassies (note the big E) with layers on layers of staff, and an Army puke of almost any flavor is just that... a bag of puke... to be avoided at all costs.

ETA: That's my experience after being a CA officer from 92 - 09. Many, many deployments, and from what I've seen, DoS folk are generally antimatter to DoD. The oppose us like matching poles of a magnet.
Old 16 December 2015, 19:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled eggs View Post
I think no matter what anyone says people want a tab for credibility. If they say they don't it's a lie. So yeah, I'll admit to that. But I also want one because I like those hard, crappy things that you gotta get through. It's a rewarding feeling personally.
Not even in your wildest dreams does anybody from DoS (Or anywhere else for that matter) give a rat's ass about a Ranger tab. Most in DOS probably have no idea what it even is, and if they did, would gasp and think you were some kind of fucking retard and neandeal for volunteering to go to a school where you don't get to eat or sleep for 8 week. Don't worry about trying to impress those guys- they are the most worthless individuals you will come into contact with downrange. But if you do want to impress people in an embassy or whatever, the #1 thing you can do is to communicate in an articulate and thoughtful manner with them.

Just try to focus on what you need to do to not be a burden to the SF teams in the country. That is all.
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 16 December 2015, 22:07
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Considering half of the people in the State Dept. are Mormons, and the other half are Homosexuals -
Man, you can't beat that Mormon Mafia. Those bastards are dug in like Alabama ticks. But I will say this, they love America.
Old 16 December 2015, 23:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Man, you can't beat that Mormon Mafia. Those bastards are dug in like Alabama ticks. But I will say this, they love America.

I never met a Mormon until I got to DLI. Boy did I learn quick. A good quarter of the 229th at that time was from the Mormon Militia. Good folks.
Old 17 December 2015, 01:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Not even in your wildest dreams does anybody from DoS (Or anywhere else for that matter) give a rat's ass about a Ranger tab. Most in DOS probably have no idea what it even is, and if they did, would gasp and think you were some kind of fucking retard and neandeal for volunteering to go to a school where you don't get to eat or sleep for 8 week. Don't worry about trying to impress those guys- they are the most worthless individuals you will come into contact with downrange. But if you do want to impress people in an embassy or whatever, the #1 thing you can do is to communicate in an articulate and thoughtful manner with them.

Just try to focus on what you need to do to not be a burden to the SF teams in the country. That is all.
Who took over Mako's account? Or are you overdosing on the Prozac again?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 17 December 2015, 02:13
Authorized Personnel

Gotta learn to ignore the wannabe trolls.
Old 17 December 2015, 08:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Who took over Mako's account? Or are you overdosing on the Prozac again?
What now? You find this to be an uncharacteristic statement?
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
Old 17 December 2015, 08:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
What now? You find this to be an uncharacteristic statement?
It was to the point, factual, and without a hint of sarcasm. Are you okay?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 17 December 2015, 09:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
It was to the point, factual, and without a hint of sarcasm. Are you okay?
You mean making profane and degrading comments about an entire governmental organization, as well as making a dismissive comment about an entire branch of the Army, and basically insulting the OP in a backhand manner is not in keeping with my usual MO?

I mean it was factual and contained good advice in it as well, but it was still wrapped in an awful package.
Old 17 December 2015, 09:38
Been There Done That

I was just an enlisted guy in a non-high speed role that traveled 250-300 days per year for 4 years and interacted routinely with Embassy mil groups, country team types, and admin folks given that we even drew money from embassies for every mission that we did and settled with the embassy upon return. If you do work end up working with embassy guys, tab or no, they think in terms of "presence" instead of "mission" and they'll frustrate you quickly.

In my experience in the 1990s which is somewhat dated now, we wore suits while onsite as a vistor at most embassies. This could be for any number of reasons but, there is much to the gay/left comment above, and you'll quickly learn State folks don't like uniformed guys running around. I can recall only a few embassies in which we wore uniforms and, in both of those cases, the milgroup had a physically separate facility form the embassy meaning we wore uniforms to the milgroup and suits to the actual embassy.

The embassy size and overall importance of your mission will determine who you brief. As an enlisted guy I routinely briefed the milgroup and often the country team but the CTs only in the smaller embassies or more backwater countries. The MILGROUP staff will take care of those briefings in larger embassies. Ambassadors? Not so much particularly if they are political appointees. I think that I briefed ambassadors 3-4 times in 4 years on that job but at least 2 of those were because I was also briefing the President of the host nation involved.

So most people had no idea of my background. Again, this wasnt to hide it for some high speed reason, it was because the uniform of the day was a suit.

Where tabs will get some level of traction is with the host nation militaries which interestingly you seem to have excluded form your comments. I hardly wore my tab downrange and usually only for briefings with the host nation military. We'd wear suits for briefing host nation civilian orgs again due to the "scary factor" of uniforms.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 17 December 2015, 11:38
Confirmed User

In a previous life I spent quite a bit of time briefing DCMs and RSOs in the ME and SE Asia. DOS has a well earned rep in line with everything mentioned above IMO.

They become much easier to work with once you understand what their mission is. And realize that in their world, uniformed people are for guarding gates and opening doors typically.

Last edited by DC; 17 December 2015 at 11:46.
Old 27 December 2015, 10:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
Just curious, are you male or female?
Considering the content of this conversation an answer to this question could prove interesting...
The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards. -William F. Butler
Old 27 December 2015, 16:01
Been There Done That

I worked for an officer who asked me, in private on multiple occasions, if going to Ranger School would help make the other soldiers respect him. I told him no, but told him that the reasons he was wondering about that (the self-doubt, the misguided thought that respect was based on what you've done and not what you are doing, and the idea that it could be fixed by a tab) were certainly parts of the reason why they didn't respect him.

I would add if the concern is respect from embassy-types then you should ensure that you can handle your liquor (physically and mentally) and do not accidentally throw the remote controller for the Wii into their flat screen.
Old 27 December 2015, 17:48
The Sagacious One

Gents, the OP has not signed in since his last post here.

Maybe he is on vacation.

Our new posting rules