Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > In Honor of Our Warriors > In Memory of SOCNET Members Who Gave All

Old 28 May 2016, 15:30
Authorized Personnel

There are those whose light burns so bright that one can't help but be burned when in their presence -- physically or via the Internet -- to where the scar they leave is a permanent reminder of the encounter.

He was one of those rare people! I sorely miss him and our talks via PM's already.
Old 28 May 2016, 22:51
Confirmed User

It has beens months since I've been on Socnet. For Those of you who knew SOTB personally, I can only imagine the impact of his passing and I am sorry for the loss you feel. For those, who like me respected his wisdom, frankness and honesty, SOTB was the constant and consistent voice of "reason." As a woman, I didn't always agree with his positions, but I could tell that he was the loving father of a daughter, and that was enough.
Old 29 May 2016, 01:12
Awaiting the Terrologist?

I found out from another source about SOTB. Even though we never met face to face, he was and will remain important to me and had an impact on my life outside the internet. He made me a better forum user because, as others have testified, SOTB was one of the first people to correct your dance step when you had decided to dance on your own junk, hell, he'd beat the admins to it at times!

What I value most about SOTB is two separate incidences. First his chastisement when I stepped on my not-so-considerable dick in a thread here early on. Second is when he in a position to speak up for me later, he said but one word "Si" thereby showing that he never took things further than they needed to be taken.

What strikes me as I process things is that, although he was larger than life in these forums, and as I reflect on the words of those who knew him IRL, is that as amazing as he was, he was but one of the remarkable individuals found in this forum. His value was his unique take on things and his loss only magnifies what value individuals have.

I hope that he would view these next words favourably, even from an Aussie.

RIP Andy. You will remain one of my standards for behaviour.

Lest We Forget (the Dead) but fight like hell for the living!

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 29 May 2016, 03:48
Confirmed User

Came on the board tonight after a really long time to read & reflect Memorial Day. After posting in the Memorial day thread I scrolled down & read the title & my heart sank. GTFO. I, like most never met Andy in person but met him on-line over at another site about 12 years ago & early on during my time there someone used his first name, the only time I actually saw it during the 5 or 6 years I frequented that site.

At FMSS, as permanent personnel I served with former FR Sgt who had a crazy friend named Andy he had served with. Although I was intimidated by his on line persona I needed to know if he was the same Andy & once I was able to finally get the nerve after getting his FR time frame calculated I PM'd him to ask if he was the same "ANDY". I used his name in my opening line & he responded with "no i'm not that Andy & how the fuck do you know my name, I never use it on here & you better not be someone I know fucking with me". Once I explained that I wasn't messing with him & who I was he replied back "sorry man I apologize". Obviously no apologies were needed from him but he gave me one anyway.
Through the years I would pm him every once in a while to ask questions about this or that. I always appreciated his honest answers & always thought that his on-line gruff personality was nothing like what it would actually be in person.
Would have loved to have met him face to face because i'm sure he was an awesome dude in all respects.

RIP Andy
Old 29 May 2016, 07:48
Registered Lurker

Rest in peace SOTB

I remember most about your post of arriving in country in Iraq years back and quitting the gig, just to ride around and take pictures. That's always stuck with me and now on contract I always try to take pictures of the most ridiculous shit I see, just for the memories one day when I'm old

Prayers and thoughts go out to your family in their time of grief
Old 29 May 2016, 17:45
Been There Done That

Any post past a paragraph in length was well thought out and deliberate. One could find philosophical differences with him, but his presentation of facts was typically correct and he argued his case cogently. A pretty smart guy whose presence will be missed on these boards greatly.
Old 29 May 2016, 20:00
BTDT

RIP

Rest in peace, Brother.
Old 30 May 2016, 15:31
#BlackRiflesMatter

Long time reader of many SOTB posts and threads, enough to know what a loss this is, and always appreciated his subtle wry humor, mixed with a sincere caring and advice. His posts always made me consider what was real and practical, and what may have been "marketing" hype to be avoided. It is an honor to be here (these Memorial Days,) to wish RIP.
Old 31 May 2016, 03:06
Moderator Weapons & H2H

I have known Andy since 2002 and we have PM'd, e-mailed and traded information over the net. Then I finally met him in 2007 when he came to Texas to visit me,Rat and Finger at ArmorGroup.He certainly didn't look like I had envisioned from all the SOCNET and internet talking we had done over the years.As many have already mentioned he reminded me more of a Hawkeye Pierce than a steely eyed Recon Marine lol. WE didnt have much time to chat but it's always good to meet SOCNET brothers in person. RIP Andy you are a legend and someone that I will always call friend!!

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 3 June 2016, 12:19
Chicks dig scars

I just saw this.
RIP SOTB, Thank you for sharing your knowledge and humor with us.
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 3 June 2016, 20:11
Confirmed User

In continuing with the stories of Andy's impact to us here on SOCNET - I had a dream a couple nights ago that I was with Andy working an EP gig. Then, as dreams do, it got a bit strange and we wound up on Pendleton and then at a bar with a bunch of other Marines, some of whom I knew and others I did not.

What made this unique for me: I don't dream. Or I very rarely remember any dreams. This one was vivid. I have never met Andy in person, but it felt like I knew him well in this dream. When I woke up I felt a deep sense of loss. I'm sure a psychologist would say something about the residual subconscious blah blah blah. But for me it just confirmed how much of an impact he had on me.

I am sure if Andy could read this post he would say that it was GAY.
Old 8 June 2016, 11:36
Confirmed User

I read many of his posts here. To me, he seemed a little bit larger than life. I am so sorry for the loss to you all here as well as his family and other friends.
Old 9 June 2016, 07:18
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I miss everything SOTB. Fuck cancer!, it cheated all of us.

It is good to see everyone's posts on how that dude affected (still affects!) us here.

..and I cant help but to think if he really didnt look like the part, just how dangerous he really was, as I am sure the mil or whatever gov agency took advantage of his non recon type looks for certain work.
Old 9 June 2016, 21:43
Confirmed User

Sad to hear this. Thanks for all the memories.
Rest In Peace, SOTB.

Minus one, but more symmetrical...

Daddy Like- Dark Helmet
Old 11 June 2016, 06:08
Grumpy Bastard

RIP SOTB. Thanks for help and guidance over the years.
Old 11 June 2016, 22:05

RIP SOTB. Made me really think about current affairs regarding Law Enforcement.
Old 12 June 2016, 00:06

So sorry to hear. Thanks for all of the advice. I'm sorry I never got to tell you that what I learned from you from saved my life in the end.

Don't EVER give up. It's a lesson I will carry forever.
Old 16 June 2016, 02:06

Sad to hear. I lurked for years before I registered, SOTB was one of the main reasons I looked more often than spoke. I also initially assumed his acronym stood for "Son Of The Beast".

You shall be missed.
Old 16 June 2016, 16:14
Confirmed User

RIP Andy.

He was very helpful to me when I was working on a project in Mexico a few years back and never asked for anything in return.
Old 16 June 2016, 16:39
Secure The Victory!

RIP, Marine. You will surely be missed.

Fuck cancer!!

Our new posting rules