Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 7 October 2016, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Is there a way to do what you describe, but make it taste acceptable?
If you add the oil of oregano it actually cuts down on the heat from the ginger a bit. Other than that you can increase the amount of pineapple juice. You can also use it as a base for a smoothie and put the formula in a blender, add frozen cherries, touch of molasses, dash of cardamom, kaffir lime leaf, touch of raw local honey, and dash of vanilla. I used to make the blended version for an ex gf who had it everyday which helped her ulcerative colitis quite a bit but hated the heat from the ginger. All of which are great for inflammation.
Old 7 October 2016, 22:26
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sct4a View Post
... 2 oz of turmeric...
Weight or volume? I just dumped a 1/2 oz volume into a glass of water. It tasted like water to me. 2 oz weight of ground turmeric is probably close to the size of a football bat. If I turn into an umpa lumpa tomorrow, I will be orange!!!
Old 7 October 2016, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Weight or volume? I just dumped a 1/2 oz volume into a glass of water. It tasted like water to me. 2 oz weight of ground turmeric is probably close to the size of a football bat. If I turn into an umpa lumpa tomorrow, I will be orange!!!
2oz of fresh turmeric juice from the fresh root not powder. If you must use the powder i'd start with 1tsp of it. I'd also skip out on grocery store turmeric powder. Here is a good source for powdered version if you must go with that over juicing the fresh root. Ultimate superfoods owns the brand Ojio so this is their list price. You can def find it elsewhere on the internet from resellers a bit cheaper

http://ultimatesuperfoods.com/Store/Products/Supplements/ayurveda/TURMER?t=True
Old 8 October 2016, 07:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
What dosage, and how many pills, do you take a day? Just bought a bottle, 450 mg tablets and says 1 - 3 per day.
The prescribed dose for my wife is 1 - 500mg cap twice a day.
Old 8 October 2016, 07:48
Been There Done That

Thanks 24/7....Good info and glad to hear your wife is doing well on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 October 2016, 11:08
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sct4a View Post
2oz of fresh turmeric juice from the fresh root not powder. If you must use the powder i'd start with 1tsp of it. I'd also skip out on grocery store turmeric powder. Here is a good source for powdered version if you must go with that over juicing the fresh root. Ultimate superfoods owns the brand Ojio so this is their list price. You can def find it elsewhere on the internet from resellers a bit cheaper

http://ultimatesuperfoods.com/Store/Products/Supplements/ayurveda/TURMER?t=True

We travel approx 180,000 miles per (international) on United, alone. So I have neither the inclination, nor the means to do what you suggest as the best way.

I am at the above site, are you suggesting extract or tablets?

Thank you.
Old 8 October 2016, 14:42
Confirmed User

In my experience...
1) Turmeric is great for colds or sore throats. A warm tea before going to sleep helps loosen up and soothes the throat.
- Mix half to one teaspoon of turmeric powder, a quarter teaspoon of a good fat like pure ghee or coconut oil, a dash of salt with a cup of warm water (green tea warm) and drink before going to sleep. You can also use a teaspoon of honey instead of the fat.

2) Works well for any inflammation, particularly those of the bacterial kind in conjunction with meds prescribed by the doctor. Pill or powder works, I've generally used powder. I've used in on infected sores, minor cuts, etc. An uncle once sliced a small part of his finger off, slapped some turmeric and bound the sliced flesh off. ER doc took a look and decided not to mess with the dressing; it healed up quite well.

3) Recently my father was diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer's. He and I both are taking Longvida (UCLA link) which is Curcumin extract from Turmeric designed to cross get to the brain more effectively.

The UCLA link above has lots of more information on options related to Curcumin, dosages, FAQs.
Old 10 October 2016, 20:53
Confirmed User

Went to a continuing education course recently, and the MD presenting talked a lot about supplements to counter inflammation. The two primaries were fish oil (he recommended 2-4 grams/day of EPA/DHA, taken with Vit D to enhance absorption. That level of fish oil can thin the blood some and make you bleed, tho) and tumeric, ~1000mg/day. As mentioned by others here, it absorbs better with bioperine, or a 1/4 tsp black pepper, as well as with hot liquid and fat (so maybe coffee with half and half, or smp52's suggestion above)
Old 10 October 2016, 21:37
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Lactic acid from the sugar - insulin battle causes inflammation of connective tissues as well as muscle cramps.
You just described my last 12 mos.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 16 October 2016, 21:36
Been There Done That

My Pakistani Doctor is in to turmeric & lots of natural remedies. He has a few books on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&pag...Hassan%20Amjad

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 20 October 2016, 02:02
Orbi tertio spumae

Got hold of some tumeric yesterday. Powder, not the real stuff unfortunately. So I'm about to chug my first dose.
I carry pain from head to toe 24/7, and have done for so long that I've become kinda masochistic about it, so this thread got me curious to see if any changes take place for me. If it works well then I'll have nothing to moan about but I'll cross that bridge
Looked up this thread to recap on what other muti I'm supposed to chuck into the mix with it
Old 3 November 2016, 20:28
Very Deplorable

So I bought some powdered and pill form turmeric. Been taking it for about three or four days because my back is fucked off from lifting people out of awkward positions and those damn gurneys in my EMS career.

Looking for something natural, so I am trying this out before I go to pharmaceuticals. I'll report back in a few weeks.
Old 3 November 2016, 23:07
Scoundrel

Chicken Rice Pilaf
Prep 25 min ∙ Cook 1 hr ∙ Makes Servings: 3 (Scaled) ∙ Source Foodandwine.com
INGREDIENTS

1/8 cup ghee (see Note)
1/2 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
3 cardamom pods, cracked
1 1/2 star anise
Salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoons turmeric powder
1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/8 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
3/4 cups basmati rice
Golden or green raisins
chopped cilantro
chopped toasted almonds, for garnish
DIRECTIONS

In a large saucepan, heat the ghee. Add the onion, cardamom, star anise and a big pinch of salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the onion is softened and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and turmeric and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the chicken and
cook over moderate heat for 4 minutes, stirring to coat it with the aromatics.

Add the stock to the pan and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Stir in the rice and return to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steam, covered, for 15 minutes.

Fluff the pilaf with a fork and season with salt. Transfer to a bowl, discarding the cardamom and star anise. Garnish with
raisins, chopped cilantro and chopped toasted almonds and serve.

It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really. -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 3 November 2016, 23:15
Scoundrel

X2 the turmeric powder. It does not change the flavor much and it's a much more delicious way to get your turmeric

I included turmeric pills in my recovery from surgery. No idea if it helped, but it did not hurt.

It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really. -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 3 November 2016, 23:21
<3>

Turmeric powder works and it can be purchased in bulk on Amazon. Along with the turmeric you should take MSM for the joint pain from OA. MSM can be found in the vitamin section as well.
Old 12 November 2016, 13:45
The atomic zit

Thumbs up Fresh turmeric root

Tastes like a spicy carrot...

Saturday Durham Farmers Market at a parking lot on Hwy 55, south of Hwy 40.

http://www.southdurhamfarmersmarket.org/

Last edited by Stretch; 18 November 2016 at 00:59.
Old 14 November 2016, 07:58
Orbi tertio spumae

So far the only change Ive experienced since taking turmeric is my piss smells like I'm dying of something
Old 14 November 2016, 22:01
Russian Tycoon

This is just one study but it suggests that turmeric is most beneficial when it is added to food rather than consumed separately or taken as a supplement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37408293

So, more curry and masala for everyone! Or just add turmeric to your avocado toast.
Old 1 December 2016, 10:19
Been There Done That

Went to go see Orthopedic doctor yesterday for knee problem. He actually recommended I take Tumeric. Told him I already was, and he was surprised and said, "That is great! keep on taking it. One capsule a day." Also told me to keep on taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 1 December 2016, 11:33
Confirmed User

Tumeric interacts with anticoagulants (WebMD). I take an aspirin everyday so am wondering if I start Tumeric should I dump the aspirin?

Our new posting rules