Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 3 December 2016, 16:22
FIDO

Purple, I have used a massage therapist for tennis elbow (tendinitis). She used deep tissue massage to strip the tension in my forearm and into my elbow. It hurt like hell, and was sore for about a week after. I have not had an issue with it since and that was about 5 years ago.
Old 3 December 2016, 21:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Tumeric interacts with anticoagulants (WebMD). I take an aspirin everyday so am wondering if I start Tumeric should I dump the aspirin?
See GWAG's post above yours. Insightful and IMO is the way to ingest tumeric. Or Jimbo's recipe. . .food!
That said, do you take ibuprophen? On a personal level I'd be more concerned about it's interference (at large doses or prolonged/continuance) with the coagulation cascade vice tumeric along with a daily 81mg aspirin. All in moderation of course. And if your MD prescribed the aspirin, then I'd ask them.

tangential but. . .
These subjects are or can be/get pretty deep (Omega 3's? what about 6's and 9's?). I've take/n lots of differing things to aid me over some acute problems. And I keep Chinese medicine handy myself. But overall for me at least, nothing trumps a decent diet, proper rest & exercise.
Old 3 December 2016, 22:02
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Tumeric interacts with anticoagulants (WebMD). I take an aspirin everyday so am wondering if I start Tumeric should I dump the aspirin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
See GWAG's post above yours. Insightful and IMO is the way to ingest tumeric. Or Jimbo's recipe. . .food!
That said, do you take ibuprophen? On a personal level I'd be more concerned about it's interference (at large doses or prolonged/continuance) with the coagulation cascade vice tumeric along with a daily 81mg aspirin. All in moderation of course. And if your MD prescribed the aspirin, then I'd ask them.

tangential but. . .
These subjects are or can be/get pretty deep (Omega 3's? what about 6's and 9's?). I've take/n lots of differing things to aid me over some acute problems. And I keep Chinese medicine handy myself. But overall for me at least, nothing trumps a decent diet, proper rest & exercise.
Tumeric (curcumin is the active ingredient) affects bleeding by both the intrinsic & extrinsic pathway of the coagulation cascade via activation of Factor Xa (thrombin).

Aspirin is an anti-platelet agent.

Factor Xa and Platelets are integral parts of hemostasis.

The bad bleeding that I've encountered tends to involve meds that affect both.

Easy bruising can be an early indicator.
Old 3 December 2016, 22:44
Life is simple, not easy.

Ironically the wife and I went to Winnco today and I was specifically looking for Tumeric in bulk. Both bins empty.

:-(

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 3 December 2016, 23:05
<3>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Ironically the wife and I went to Winnco today and I was specifically looking for Tumeric in bulk. Both bins empty.

:-(
I order the 2 lb bags (powder) from Healthworks on Amazon, it's about $17.50 a bag.
Old 3 December 2016, 23:08
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Purple, I have used a massage therapist for tennis elbow (tendinitis). She used deep tissue massage to strip the tension in my forearm and into my elbow. It hurt like hell, and was sore for about a week after. I have not had an issue with it since and that was about 5 years ago.
Thank you, it's a daily non stop pain...I will give it a shot, at this point...seems to be nothing to lose. I had dry needling once..other thank being very sore the next day...not sure it helped. I'm on Prednisone for a post flu lung thing going on and the pain in my elbow is less! But I can't live on steroids.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 3 December 2016, 23:13
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
This is just one study but it suggests that turmeric is most beneficial when it is added to food rather than consumed separately or taken as a supplement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37408293

So, more curry and masala for everyone! Or just add turmeric to your avocado toast.
I've started adding a chunk of fresh T. to a smoothie I make..but I've not been doing it daily, so do capsules on other days. I have to say, when I stopped taking it for a couple days the pain worsened...so, I figure there is something to it!

I bought the fresh root at a Korean/Asian grocery in town.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 3 December 2016, 23:15
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
I order the 2 lb bags (powder) from Healthworks on Amazon, it's about $17.50 a bag.
That'll work. Thank you.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 3 December 2016, 23:26
<3>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
That'll work. Thank you.
You're welcome. I also recommend getting some magnesium chloride while you're at it, and bundle any other supplements to get free shipping. Do some research on the magnesium chloride for joint pain and other issues, most people are running at an extreme deficiency, and just like the lack of B12, D, etc. there are dozens of problems associated with a magnesium chloride deficiency. I use the Greenway Biotech brand and have been very pleased with it. It will come as a bag of flakes to be mixed with distilled water.
Old 7 December 2016, 12:02
Russian Tycoon

One of my foodie friends shared this link and I thought it could be helpful. Some of the recipes are pretty intuitive (like carrot/ginger/turmeric smoothie), but other combinations of ingredients caught me by surprise:

30 Turmeric Recipes
Old 7 December 2016, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I had dry needling once..other thank being very sore the next day...not sure it helped.
Hi Purple,

Acupuncture takes a few appointments to make progress and feel a difference. It took 3 or 4 sessions on my neck before I felt a reduction in my pain and an increase in movement. With all of the opening shocks that I sustained in group my neck is completely fecked.

Now I feel the pain coming back if I miss a two acupuncture appointments. So as long as I get treatment a few times each month I am almost pain free in the neck.

Now I am having her work on my busted ankles as well.
Old 8 December 2016, 04:10
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Thank you all, that is encouraging. I have both ground tumeric (which tastes like ass when added to a fruit smoothie) and in capsule form.
Turmeric is good & so is massage, however, sometimes none of it works from time to time. Steroid injections into the joint for me is a downright miracle. The pain goes away within 15 mins and lasts for a month or longer.

Though you can't beat Father Time you CAN detour him a bit.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 9 December 2016, 21:03
Been There Done That

Just started a regimen with the stuff a few months back. Definitely notice improvement in joint pain. I also have more energy while still dealing with my insomnia issues. I am not too concerned about the earthy taste to it, I mix it with fresh squeezed lemon, grapefruit, oranges etc, some honey if necessary.....it's all good. I have also in just the last two years been planting more herbs around here and have dried some of the native medicinal plants in our area......its all well worth the effort and therapeutic as well. Great thread here as many of us FOG's are guinea pigs for the VA drug doctors~
Old 10 December 2016, 10:19
Been There Done That

I ordered a five pound bag from Monterrey Bay Spice Co. last night for a bit under $5 bucks a pound, plus shipping. Will keep my fingers crossed that it is not cut with a bunch of yellow looking fake powder!
Old 14 December 2016, 22:56

I live in N Tx and listen to The People's Pharmacy on NPR occasionally. The hosts are pharmakokineticists. Below is a link to their website regarding turmeric
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012...-strong-drugs/
Old 15 December 2016, 14:31
Been There Done That

This stuff is junk, ya'll quit going into my Walmart and buying it all.

Stop it....ya'll got it.
Old 23 December 2016, 17:34
Been There Done That

Our stock pile is now replenished, it's good stuff again....you may proceed.

Thank you for your compliance.
Old 29 December 2016, 20:57
Been There Done That

I cook solely on the wood stove in winter. Tonight I popped my first batch of turmeric popcorn.....I crank the stove to full throttle, oil in the pan, get it hot enough to pop a couple a kernels, add a spot of butter and a generous spoonful of turmeric.....some good chewin there folks. Only thing that could have made it better is a tablespoon of bacon grease!
Old 10 January 2017, 13:42
Confirmed User

I started taking turmeric in capsule form late last June. One month later I went on a week long canoe trip at Algonquin in Canada and was interested to see how I fared with the hours of paddling and portaging every day. I had packed a daily supply of generic Motrin but don't think I ever took anything for pain during that trip other than my nightly 8-hour Tylenol. I was encouraged by my lack of pain and then scheduled a September backpacking trip of the Pictured Rocks Lakeshore Trail with my daughter and niece. My last last backpacking trip had ended with extremely sore feet due to my arthritis, and I had previously decided that after 40 plus years, I couldn't carry the pack anymore. Well, then my 40-mile September trip went well, and my feet and other painful joints didn't hurt at all. It appears that backpacking is now back on my list of outdoor activities so I'm currently planning a summer trip to Killarney in Canada. I'm normally very skeptical about herbal medicine claims and leery of the placebo affect. However, I'm definitely now a believer in turmeric.

I should add that one other thing that contributed to my pain reduction was switching to a Hennessy hammock. It was wonderful for my normally aching back and neck although that couldn't have contributed to my lack of foot pain.
Old 10 January 2017, 20:18
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I live in N Tx and listen to The People's Pharmacy on NPR occasionally. The hosts are pharmakokineticists. Below is a link to their website regarding turmeric
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012...-strong-drugs/
I just spent 2.00 to download their .pdf on alternative treatments for arthritis...a pretty much worthless document. Dissapointing. Poorly written, not evidence based and simply anectodotal..."so and so reported that gin soaked raisins helped their pain."

Our new posting rules