Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Snipers

Old 18 October 2016, 07:22
Authorized Personnel

Fads that have come and gone

Been awhile since we had any action over here. Let's discuss some fads that have come and gone in the sniper/long range shooting arena.

I'll start it off with moly coated bullets. Remember when it was all the rage back in the mid 90's?
Old 18 October 2016, 14:34
Authorized Personnel

Gsniper,

Thanks for getting this thread going again. I do remember the moly craze. I was in charge of the sniper team at my department then. Lucky or dumb, I did not have the budget to spend testing those bullets as we spent all of our budget on Fed 168 gr HPBTM. I had guys loading them and bringing them to training and telling us it was the big thing and we were all in the dark. I agreed and stayed with what we were using because we were such a small team and I could not afford to make a bad purchasing decision. Some guys never understood that you can't jump on every fad wagon.

CG
Old 20 October 2016, 19:49
Authorized Personnel

Cryo treated barrels.
Old 21 October 2016, 08:39
Make a desert and call it peace.

I think, and several personal barrels seem to indicate, that moly could improve barrel life....but the huge issue with sniping is the variability it introduces, especially with CB shots. Another case of target shooting stuff being mindlessly parroted for sniping...

How about the rapid bolt manipulation being preached over grabbing the casing as the ejector pivots it out?

How about the M40A3 tactical tankbar being designed almost exclusively off combat experience that consisted of banging shitheads from extreme range hard positions like embassy's and tall buildings to replace the M40A1, which was already arguably overweight. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 21 October 2016, 14:52
Been There Done That

Ghillie suits...I see at least one hunter per month wearing one in a store, on his way to bow hunt (or so I'd like to think). I fucking hated wearing those hot fuckers....
Old 21 October 2016, 15:08
Administrator

Stalking while wearing a road guard vest, because you are just that badass.

Or it could have been to make a point about route selection being more important than relying on a ghillie.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 14 November 2016, 10:27
No Title

Anyone heard anything about folding stocks? I am wearing a reflective belt as I read this, so it is safe to discuss.
If they advance against me, I shall retire before them, accepting battle if they give me a favorable opportunity, for the missile action of my lines is superior to the shock action of their columns . . .
-Sir Arthur Wellesley
Old 24 November 2016, 19:04
Authorized Personnel

Mil dot master. Or are they still in use?
Old 24 November 2016, 23:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Mil dot master. Or are they still in use?
When I was a pfc designated marksman, I had a mil dot master. I even bought the knights armament bulletflight ballistic calculator program for the old iPhone and tried to use it in country...yeah. Money down the drain lol
Old 29 November 2016, 08:04

The mildot master was kinda useful as I recall; then real life happened, I bought an LRF and it's now sitting in one of my boxes of old shit out in the garage. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 29 November 2016, 13:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
When I was a pfc designated marksman, I had a mil dot master. I even bought the knights armament bulletflight ballistic calculator program for the old iPhone and tried to use it in country...yeah. Money down the drain lol
A childhood friend of mine was a SEAL and had been a sniper. He said his first deployment he took everything, the next one, a little less, and so on. He said he has a seabag of useless tools and items he had been led to believe were indispensable as a sniper. He says that the sniper community, mostly the younger and inexperienced snipers, is second only to golfers who buy the next widget in belief it makes them a better shot.
Old 30 November 2016, 15:06
"One shot"...you know the rest..

Tripods?
Old 30 November 2016, 15:10
Authorized Personnel

Holy shit, it's the ghost of snipers past. We thought you joined a cult or something.
Old 30 November 2016, 16:23

They call me "the wind"...
Old 1 December 2016, 09:46

Hey Gooch, we heard you was dead....were you just in Nebraska? S/F....Ken M
Old 1 December 2016, 13:03

Been in SE Oklahoma for about 6 years now. Selling guns and trying to get back into training. I think the tumbleweed has run into a major fence...
Old 1 December 2016, 13:42
Authorized Personnel

Good to hear you're doing well. Don't be such a stranger around here. As for the tripod question, they're still widely used and the quality of the equipment has really come up since back in the day. Manfrotto is making some really good stuff and there are several good quality rifle rests for tripod use on the market. Quite the improvement over the dowel rods and 550 cord we used to use.
Old 1 December 2016, 13:57
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Good to hear you're doing well. Don't be such a stranger around here. As for the tripod question, they're still widely used and the quality of the equipment has really come up since back in the day. Manfrotto is making some really good stuff and there are several good quality rifle rests for tripod use on the market. Quite the improvement over the dowel rods and 550 cord we used to use.
Or the old video camera tripods with a rest made of iso-mat
Old 1 December 2016, 14:04
Authorized Personnel

Yeah, the old puss pad and duc tape rest. Used many. I even had a fancy one that was 3" PVC cut in half to make a cradle. Still have it out in the shed somewhere with the rest of my old shit that won't see the light of day again till they shovel dirt in my face.
Old 1 December 2016, 15:05

I use a Hog Saddle a lot still

Our new posting rules