Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > How Not to Post

Old 16 February 2002, 06:02
BenningBOUND
Visitor

Thumbs down Worst day of my life...EVER

I have been taught an important lesson. I have learnned that I cannot block a earthmover drivign at 30 mph. Peraps a explanation is in order...I went on my daily run. 7 miles with a ruck packed with 70 pounds of wieghtlifting wieghtds. I run hills, so I was on a fire trail that runs up mt. uminum. here I was trucking along when I come around a corner ad SMACK right into this fukin bulldozer! Okay, maybe not a bulldozer, but a meduim size earthmover's bucket. The impact through my ass off the fire road, down a hill and I ended up (so i am told) in the creek about 150ft down. I am unconscious and my hip is slashedd and brojen. They call a "lifeflight" in to get me, I am still unconcsoius. i wake up in the orthopedic ward at o'connor hospital with the worst pain of my life and a huge fukin cast from my waist to my ankle. Come to find out that the orthopedic surgeon is on holiday and will be back on monday. Luckily for me, mt sister is an administrator at this very hospital ans she convinces the docs to let me go home ater almost two days in the hospital. have a appointment on monday witht the ortho surgion to see if they will have to put my leg back together with meata; pins.....I haven't talked to my recruiter yet, I know my plans are definetly on hold but what I want to know is if they put pins in me, will thay be an atuo matic DQ? I am not looking for sympathy, jist an honest answer...I can't sleep right now, the pain and percocet are conspiring against me.
Old 16 February 2002, 06:49
Doc
Visitor

This doesn't belong here.

Moving to General Military.
Old 16 February 2002, 08:53
Quick1
Visitor

Sue them,
Anyways I hope you are joking but I know you are not. I can't belive that this has happened to you, I feel very bad for you :-(. I don't really know what to say......
Old 16 February 2002, 08:55
Quick1
Visitor

You do deserve sympathy...... Was it federal land?
Old 16 February 2002, 11:17
para325air
Visitor

Huh? 7 mile cross country run with a 70 lb ruck and up hill to boot. You turn a corner and run into an excavators bucket that knocks you down a hill. What was it that obscured your view and your hearing of this excavtor? Its not like walking around a corner in the hallway and running into someone.

I am in construction. Ever driven an excavtor? They don't drive 30mph. Maybe 5mph and they can stop on a dime.
Old 16 February 2002, 12:16

If you are joking, then I truly hope that someone bans your ass.

If you are serious, then I am sorry for your accident. You have a long road ahead of you.
Old 16 February 2002, 13:29
Fenom
Visitor

BenningBound, if that really happened then it truly sucks to be you right now. Get well soon dude.
Old 16 February 2002, 13:32
Confirmed User

Cross-country run, up hills, 7 miles with a 70-lb ruck in boots????!!

How come whenever these guys post their PT it's always amazing...?? While I admit the above is possile, my BS meter is still ringing...
Old 16 February 2002, 14:24
BTDT

Quote:
7 miles with a ruck packed with 70 pounds of wieghtlifting wieghtds
Daily? My BS meter is pegged.

Ran into a earth mover? And you leave for Basic in what, 3 or 4 days? R I G H T. Dude, be smart... don't go fucking up your body before you even get to 30th AG.

Geesh.

WANNABES! DO NOT RUN WITH RUCKSACK! It is damaging to your body if you are not properly conditioned for it! And even then, it's damaging.

Weigel
Old 16 February 2002, 14:27
BTDT

Quote:
I haven't talked to my recruiter yet, I know my plans are definetly on hold but what I want to know is if they put pins in me, will thay be an atuo matic DQ? I am not looking for sympathy, jist an honest answer...I can't sleep right now, the pain and percocet are conspiring against me
Dude, sad to hear you fucked yourself up. But honest answer is you best heal really good, because hip injuries are often recurring and stick around to haunt your ass for a while.

If you're bullshitting about this, then FUCK YOU.

If you're telling the truth, sad to hear it. Hopefully you'll heal quickly and well... and god willing maybe you'll be able to find another shot at the military.

Weigel
Old 16 February 2002, 15:21
BenningBOUND
Visitor

Guys,
I wish I was joking about htis...god almighty do I wish I was kidding...I would cut off a testicle just to be joking...I CAN"T EVEN TAKE A PISS ON MY OWN RIGHT NOW (in case no one has had this pleasure, it is one of the most humiliating experiences you can have). To explain what happened with complete detail, I will have to wait for the police report but I can tell you all what I know. I run with an walkman, when I was on the last portion of the run, I came around a swithback in the fire road. The earthmover was coming around that same bend, admittedly, it was NOT moving at 30mph, I do not know how fast it was moving. But i can tell you all this, it sure as HELL felt like it. The land is government land, a "nature" preserve, with the very top of the mountain containing a retired SAC sattelite relay station. I usually reun 5 miles 4 days a week without a ruck and do 7 miles with a ruck and weight only one day (fri, sat rest days, sun-wednesday 5 miles no ruck, thursday 7 miles +ruck+wiehgts) My recruiter seems kind of pissed off at me, giving me a ration of shit for not watching the road, for being a fukin "hardhead" and for not keeping my eyes in front of me. I can tell you guys, THIS FUCKING SUCKS! I haven't shaved, I have to get my GF to give me a sponze bath so I don't reek like aas, I CAN"T HAVE SEX! This is by far the worst thing I have had happen to me. I really appreciate ya'll words...they mean alot to me. I do have to ask you all for one small favor, to keep me in your prayers...I almost could have died and I really feel like the man upstairs was watchin out for me, so please give him praise.

To all- I want to thank everyone who has taken thr time to give this dude advice. I don't know if I will be DQ'd or not for this but just the same, THANK YOU.

BRO-Dude, call me. Our plans for this weekend are fucking
shot.

I am getting alot of motivation by watching the best ranger challenge on RSPN, it is keeping me sane :)
Old 16 February 2002, 15:58

I'm out.

Last edited by mdb23; 17 February 2002 at 02:07.
Old 16 February 2002, 16:14
para325air
Visitor

OK...so let me get this straight.

First, you admit that you where in the hospital for almost 2 days, plausable. Preform a search on your name and you post almost 48 hours apart. Now times are on GMT if I am correct. That means your last post prior to this thread was at 1933Hrs on Wednesday and posted this thread at 1902Hrs on Friday. You post your exercise schedule and state that you preform your ruck runs on Fridays, yet your first post puts your ruck run and this accident on Wednesday night or Thursday.

Next, you are hit by an excavator, I am assuming a 125, on a switch back with a 150 foot drop on oneside. I know its not an earthmover. They are way to big and do not have the turning radius to be on a switchback. Now, one of you is going uphill and the other downhill. I am gonna have to assume you are the one coming downhill, because you ain't running uphill with a 70lb pack. But the issue revolves around the excavtor. They are going to be 8 feet wide, with the arm and bucket down the center. As he is traversing a switchback with a drop off, at 150 feet. The only reasonable way to make that turn is whats called a pivot steer. This is preformed by the tracks moving in opposite direction to change the direction of travel. He is going to be in the center of the switchback itself and going to have zero forward motion. Now, having driven them myself, I can understand how is attention may have been deverted to watching how close he is to the edge and not the road where you are. But to be hit by soemthing with zero froward motion is the equivilant to walking into a wall. Ever not been paying enough attention that you walk into a wall. It isnt sufficient force to throw off the road and down the hill.

Now, in your first post you state you have yet to speak with your recruiter, but yet your first thing is to get online and tell your "buds" at SOCNET what happened. Now, obviosly you have spoken to your recruiter sometime between 1902Hrs on Friday night and Noon today (Cali time).

Then there is the LifeFlight. LifeFlight, at least here in Seattle, another major metropoltian, is reserved for incidents of Critical Care that involve loss of life, limb, and/or eyesight. It does not make routine runs like this that would then have assets tied up for a real emergency. So your situation is that you are unconcious with a slashed broken hip. That is ambulatory ground transportation. But, given that you where LifeFlight'd out, that means situation is critical, and yet your sister, a hospitol administrator, is able to convince the medical professionals, i.e. doctors, to release you and you do not need further monitoring.

Dude, you have pegged my BS meter so hard. If I am wrong, I truely am sorry. Do me a favor and send me your name. I would like to call O'Connor Hospitol and check your admitance status. If your story holds up, I will more then be happy to verify it, retract my statements, and offer an apology.
Old 16 February 2002, 16:45
Fenom
Visitor

WOW!

Para are you sure you aren't in the FBI or something? Awesome post!
Old 16 February 2002, 17:15
para325air
Visitor

So talkin with a buddy of mine. I mean, BB, you got me thinking on this one. Anyways.....just to play Devil's Advocate....an unresponsive patient after having suffered a 150 ft fall with broken hip (if this was uncovered in the patient survey by EMS personel) and assumed C-spine injuries may warrant LifeFlight services. It would depend on the vitals. One could be in shock with low respirations and low BP.... I wasn't there, so don't know what the particulars where.

What really strikes me as wrong is O'Connor is not listed as a Level I or Level II Trauma Center. According to a quick internet search (which admittedly could be inaccurate) San Jose does have a Level I and Level II Trauma Center. Not sure but I find it unlikely that LifeFlight would drop off a patient at a ER that is not a rated Trauma Center........hell where would it land?

I also find it a little hard to believe that one would be waking up in the Ortho Ward....wouldnt think a patient would be transfered there so quick...
Old 16 February 2002, 17:31
War on Christmas veteran

It could happen. I actually saw this happen once...
...Wile E Coyote was just about to catch that damned Roadrunner and BAM! right into an Acme earthmover.
Old 16 February 2002, 17:37
Quick1
Visitor

Once again, I'm sorry to hear about your misfoutune. If it went down as you say get a good Personnal injury attorney, take pictures, lots of them, have lots of people take lots of pictures. Your looking at a TON of money, they are insured so don't put feeling into it, just purse them with no end.....
Old 16 February 2002, 17:47
Quick1
Visitor

Para,
We do need to realize that he is heavily sedated at this time.... He could easily have his facts a bit wacked plus just the trauma is enough to make memories skew a bit :-)
Old 16 February 2002, 17:52
Banned User

I'm not going to get into whether or not the accident really occured but as far as encouraging BB to file what I see as a frivolous lawsuit is just plain WRONG. What happened was an accident, plain and simple. He was wearing a walkman and running up a fire trail. There were probably construction signs posted in plain sight.
I see no reason to sue.
Our legal system is abused enough as it is and it makes me sick when people abuse it over shit like this.
Old 16 February 2002, 17:56
Quick1
Visitor

So what if their was a sign? He got wasted, this isn't hot coffee on the lap, this isn't defimation of character, this is a maming of a able body young man, he will be hurting forever. You don't over drive a curve much like you don' over drive your headlights.

Our new posting rules