Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > Recon Marines

Old 5 April 2001, 18:39
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

Thank you for that Daredevil. It brought a tear to my I and was very inspirational.
Old 5 April 2001, 22:01
One Mean Moto Scooter

Damn, good post DD.

Casey
Old 6 April 2001, 02:05
Rogers990813
Visitor

Gunnery Segeant Paige is the meaning of Semper Fi.

Taps.
Old 29 December 2004, 09:52
Confirmed User

This is a little late.

Brothers we will not forget you...

It was great knowing most of you and you all have paved the way for the Marines coming to the Rally Point now.

SSGT. VINCENT A. SABASTEANSKI, 1ST FORCE RECON - CUMBERLAND, ME

SSGT. DAVID E. GALLOWAY, 1ST FORCE RECON - OREGON CITY, OR

SSGT. JEFFERY R. STARLING, 1ST FORCE RECON - SOUTH DAYTON, FL

HM1 JAY J. ASIS, 1ST FORCE - QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES

CPL. MARK A. BACA, 1ST FORCE RECON - JEFFERSON CITY, CO

GYSGT JAMES P PAIGE, JR, CREW CHIEF, HMM 166 - MIDDLESEX, NJ

SSGT. WILLIAM C. DAME, EOD, MSSG-15 - YUMA, AZ

RAT OUT!!!
Old 29 December 2004, 11:01
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

RIP dudes....
Old 29 December 2004, 11:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RAT
This is a little late.

Brothers we will not forget you...

It was great knowing most of you and you all have paved the way for the Marines coming to the Rally Point now.

SSGT. VINCENT A. SABASTEANSKI, 1ST FORCE RECON - CUMBERLAND, ME

SSGT. DAVID E. GALLOWAY, 1ST FORCE RECON - OREGON CITY, OR

SSGT. JEFFERY R. STARLING, 1ST FORCE RECON - SOUTH DAYTON, FL

HM1 JAY J. ASIS, 1ST FORCE - QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES

CPL. MARK A. BACA, 1ST FORCE RECON - JEFFERSON CITY, CO

GYSGT JAMES P PAIGE, JR, CREW CHIEF, HMM 166 - MIDDLESEX, NJ

SSGT. WILLIAM C. DAME, EOD, MSSG-15 - YUMA, AZ

RAT OUT!!!
Amen!
Old 29 December 2004, 15:03
Authorized Personnel

Starling was truly a great guy. He wound up in Hawaii for awhile and shacked up with our platoon while he was there. Silly bastard busted up his ankle when he wore some platform shoes to Moose's for 70's night, and refused to go to the Doc because he was too embarrassed to tell the corpsman how it happened.

He made and donated a paddle for our STA shack before we left, which meant a hell of a lot to us, he was sorely missed when this happened, and still missed today.

God bless and keep them all.
Old 29 December 2004, 15:50
Violent Social Worker

(Now Gunny) Schmidt was one of our instructors in the SOTG Security Element Course. He's the guy who jumped through the hell hole and lived, if you're ever seen the video. A great instructor and very laid back, ask-any-questions type of guy. I believe SSgt Mueller was also with SOTG as of 2002.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 January 2005, 04:09
Confirmed User

It's really been 5 yrs.... R.I.P.

I'm pretty sure it was Archer that went out the hole. I was on that MEU and my team had swam ashore for some scud hunting at Pt.Mugu when they told us over the radio. I remember thinking"Not Baca, not Baca" (I only knew the other members of his Plt. in passing/through work, not that their loss was any less tragic) and was relieved when they didn't read his name as one of the dead. The next day we found out that someone at MEUComm had the wrong list and initially dispersed the wrong names. Mark had a tattoo of Nightcrawler on his head, it was great. Funny guy, everybody liked him, never too cool to hang out with the new guys or just plain shoot the shit with whomever. Although I only knew him for a couple of years, he was one of the friendliest guys I ever met. He stood out in the crowd of "unique individuals" that made up 1st Recon Co. at the time. R.I.P. and we're lucky to have known those guys, even if it was for a brief time.
Old 4 January 2005, 12:20
Violent Social Worker

I'm sure you guys are right. Gunny Schmidt didn't say that, someone else did. His only comment was that both pilots were promoted and still flying.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 January 2005, 21:00
Probationary User

Yeah Baca was a good guy. He, Javier Obleas and I were in the same BRC class... Hard damn PFC that is for sure and goofy too. That tatoo on his head was pretty funny, we used to ask him why he had a rat on his head (no pun intended John....)
Old 5 January 2005, 17:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally posted by JPT
we used to ask him why he had a rat on his head (no pun intended John....)
JT,

No problem Bro... None-taken...

Hope all is well.

RAT OUT!!!
Old 17 February 2005, 11:22

" They will find the streets are guarded by UNITED STATES MARINES !"

Semper Fi Bros.... RIP
Old 2 February 2011, 16:49

I dont know if I will get flamed for a bringing back this thread. But the hell with it...

I knew Jeff Starling. He came to ANGLICO one training platoon class after me, the last class before they went all pc and canned the indoctrination platoon. He was a solid dude and a hell of a stud thus his move over to Force.

I will never forget Corporal Vesey checking out the newbies and peeking at his "lifes a beach" tattoo with the bad boy guy and him saying "so you think your a bad boy huh?". Something about that moment captured a snapshot of that point in my life in my brain.

Much respect to all that perished on that training op.

I will see you later Jeff....
Old 8 February 2011, 01:46
Been There Done That

Never Forgotten

Crispy, I am with you. That happened a long time ago, that tragic event still haunts me. Such a great loss to all, they will never be forgotten.

Ski was my ATL in the first Recon team I served in, at 3rd Recon BN. We were pretty close, him from Maine and I Vermont. I learned a lot from Vince, Great Man, Marine, and friend.

As a Pfc I watched him Jump out the third deck window several times one night at Dickey Barracks, only one other Marine attempted that act; he broke both his ankles and a leg. Ski actually grabbed the water pipe next to his window as he went out and scooted to the ground. After the party ending fall, Ski told us boots; only a moron would jump out of a window that high. And ended it up by saying if your going to be Recon, you got to be slyer than your enemy and razor sharp. I remember that night as clear as glass (even as toasted as I was) I was glad he was my ATL, I would follow him anywhere; he was Godlike. Yeah I miss him, I miss them all. God bless them and there family's.

Yarg out
Old 8 February 2011, 21:51
On the Extract Bird

Jay Asis was my student at the Med Lab and he set the standard for Recon Corpsmen. As a Corpsman....smart, damn good, always caring for his Marines and always looking for the next challenge. As a man...smart, funny and committed to his Marines.

Our community is less because of his and the others passing.

RIP Brother.
Old 9 December 2016, 12:58
Been There Done That

09 December 99

Probably the worst day of my 24yr career. RIP Brothers, not a day goes by that I don't think of you. Until Valhalla.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15349626_10211428353728646_7404556891037219336_n.jpg (68.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 9 December 2016, 13:02
Authorized Personnel

May you continue to rest in peace, brothers!
Old 9 December 2016, 13:12
Dulce et Decorum est...

RIP

Thread title edited to add the year of the crash
Old 9 December 2016, 13:46
Confirmed User

I've lost track of how many times I've seen that crash as a GIF or video. I knew it was fatal, but never read the names.

Grace and peace today to friends and family.

Our new posting rules