Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > How Not to Post

Old 30 April 2006, 01:09
Been There Done That

username93 you should just calm down and see things how they are and not how you think they should be.
If you really want to serve pick something you can do and do it, the rest will fall into place and doors will open once your eyes are open. Just because youíre not in a combat MOS doesnít mean you sit behind a desk. Jessica Lynch was ďjust a truck driverĒ and other chicks have seen some shit but I bet they didnít have poor attitudes or a chip on their shoulder. Youíll gain a strong family in the Military that wonít let you down.
Read the signature line I have I love it.
Old 30 April 2006, 01:13
Going back

I'll be the bad guy.

You need to stay out of the military. It is not the place for you to repair whatever issues you have, it will not be the locomotive to help you pull your baggage.

These men and women have walked the path you wish to and yet you are blowing them off?

"Help me, Obi Peace-Corps, you are my only hope."

Your desire to serve has, IMO, less to do with your country and more to do with you and your image of yourself. You've been given your options, you were offered some of the best advice that you'll find ANYWHERE and yet you don't want to hear it?

Good luck with your endeavors as a civilian. Give Dr. Katz or Dr. Melfi a call, maybe they can help. We're spent here.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 30 April 2006, 03:12
Whatever Sucks the Most

Nah. No offense, but she is 18.

I was pretty fucked up when I was 18. (I still am, yes, but that is another topic).

I think that a tour in the MPs would be just what you need. You would get some of the starch kicked out of you. You would get some organization and some discipline, and after your first tour, you would know better what you really want to do.

Be warned, though, that MPs do paperwork, and they sit at desks, too.

They also ride convoys in Iraq. And women carry guns, and they man the crew served machine guns.

Do not worry so much about what others think or say. Visualize your goal, then just go do it.

Good luck.
Old 30 April 2006, 03:38
username93
Visitor

I have issues for not wanting to sit at a desk?

(man this all going to hell)

Alright. You tell me what I'm supposed to do. I'm not going to say anything.

Girls in Canada can fight for their country.
Old 30 April 2006, 03:42
Going back

Magic Man, coming from you, none taken. It is a fair criticism and rebuttal. Even if I were to take offense, it is your house, not mine.

You know as well as I that there is a fine line between dragging your baggage to the service and becoming a stud vice dragging your baggage and becoming a shitbird. The opportunities to go either way are presented in combat arms units and CS/ CSS units (though one could easily argue that CA units do a better job at "rehabilitating" soldiers).

My beef is that she came in and played some coy type of game/ banter/ rapport with us and then asked a question (so far, so good I guess if you are into SOCNET.match.dating.com) and THEN when you and others presented their opinions she came back with a "Yeah, I know that but that isn't what I want to do so someone help me find this job" type of reply.

In short, she blew all of you off AND sought a shoulder or 20 to cry on.

I can't fathom helping someone like that and we've seen firsthand what happens to individuals with that tendancy in uniform. Typically, they become a burden on their unit. You deal with your issues and move on OR you let them slow you down and hinder you (and by default those around you).

Maybe she'll have an epiphany and see the light one day.

Based on her posts my gut tells me she won't. If she does she'll have emptied her luck bucket in the process and I'll eat crow when it is time. To me, she isn't making a strong case for herself or for our assistance.

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 30 April 2006, 03:50
Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by username93
(man this all going to hell)

Wench, Compforce, Mottbomb, Magician, Winnie, Steve 1/75, and Queen Beach laid it out for you. You cannot be an 11 or 18 series. The closest the Army will allow to get to an Infantry MOS is in the MPs. All other MOSs are getting shot at and returning fire and doing great things. They also sit behind a desk from time to time.

WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? 7 posters gave you WORLD CLASS advice IN YOUR OWN THREAD asking for it.

Old 30 April 2006, 04:01
username93
Visitor

I don't need anything else. That's all. Forget it. I knew this would happen.

Look. I want to be a f-ing infantry soldier. BUT since I can't I asked if there was anything I could get that would get me closer to the job I want. If MP is the closest I can get then hell that's what I asked! I didn't ask my question strait out because I knew you guys would jump all over me like you've done with so many other GUYS who've come on this board asking similar questions. I needed to ask for myself. I don't get it, I try to give you loads of respect and it still didn't work. I don't know what else to say guys, thanks for everything.
Old 30 April 2006, 04:25
Going back

The rules are the rules whether we agree with them or not. Some even offer a waiver. You are in a no-win, un-waiverable situation. Thousands (maybe more) are turned down every year at their dream shot because they are in the same position, and some are (gasp!) men.

The board (yes, this one) has gone above and beyond to help younglings in similar circumstances as yours. So much so some of those became a Sticky or we tell them (younglings) to go search for it. You have no idea how many times I’ve seen an officer or NCO place a phone call or send an email on the behalf of someone on this board. As a result, some of those success stories are in uniform and doing great things with great units.

You have been, and still are, treated no better or worse than any other member finding themselves in the same circumstances. They gave you answers, you declined them for your own reasons I guess. Sometimes the truth is a horrible burden to bear.

Get over yourself and stop throwing the pity party. We hate confetti anyway.

Old 30 April 2006, 12:01
Been There Done That

No one has flamed you, you asked and you received.
You have heart but thin skin, if you only wanted to know if thereís anyway you can get into a combat MOS you have your answer if you want to serve this site can help but youíre the only one that can decide to take the red pill or the blue pill.
Old 30 April 2006, 12:33
Pre-Chill

So join the IDF if all you want to do is be a grunt. My bet is they will have some action in the near future.

If you want to serve this country in combat arms,then MP is just about as close as you can get. You want an even harder challenge, go Marine MP :) Hell, maybe you can talk your way onto a base SRT team, and you have a VERY high chance of going to the sand box. I have a good buddy that is a MSGT MP in the Corps. His op tempo is very high. I would be happy to give you some contact info for him and he can tell you no-shit what you can expect in a Jarhead MP outfit.
gf
Old 30 April 2006, 14:11
username93
Visitor

I'd appreciate that.
Old 30 April 2006, 14:28
Pre-Chill

PM out. Call him Top.
gf
Old 30 April 2006, 15:59
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Perfect. Since I am going to tell you to STFU, you should be way ahead of the power-curve.
Quote:
So vote differently in the next election or move north. Until things change, all of your whining will only appear like whining. You've received good advice, and NO -- you did not deserve it. Now follow that advice or go flip burgers -- no one here will lose an iota of sleep over your choice. Your next post few posts are likely to define your time here -- and it is already noted how you whine about how we treat wanabes on the board and in case you failed to notice -- WE DON'T CARE....
Old 30 April 2006, 16:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
blah blah blah 120lbs blah blah.
I know quite a few people wearing the green beret and the black, er, tan, beret who fit quite well with the description you gave of the guy you claim you could break over your knee. It's not always the muscles - it's the drive and dedication.

The ONLY thing you should have taken away from that little scenario?

He signed on the line. You got up and walked away. In other words? You quit.

P.S.
Quote:
I first looked into EOD since it was supposedly the second toughest school in the military and I’m very dexterous with my hands, but I don’t know if they have a combat mission.
Quit looking for shit based on whether you heard if it was "tough" or not. A challenge? Yes. But the interest has to be there. If you aren't genuinely interested in a school you're wasting the slot for someone who is just so you can tell bar stories about how "tough" your school's MOS is. Yawn.

Last edited by KidA; 30 April 2006 at 16:08.
Old 30 April 2006, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I first looked into EOD since it was supposedly the second toughest school in the military and Iím very dexterous with my hands, but I donít know if they have a combat mission.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and throw out something on EOD school. I know of quite a few FEMALE EOD techs, most are Navy, one holds an instructor billet. I know one female Marine tech and another female soldier who is on her way to getting her crab. IT IS ONE OF THE TOUGHEST SCHOOL'S WE HAVE IN THE MILITARY!!!!! I hope you find what your looking for anyway you look at it. Everyone here knows their shit! Good Luck!
Old 30 April 2006, 20:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
Perfect. Since I am going to tell you to STFU, you should be way ahead of the power-curve.So vote differently in the next election or move north. Until things change, all of your whining will only appear like whining. You've received good advice, and NO -- you did not deserve it. Now follow that advice or go flip burgers -- no one here will lose an iota of sleep over your choice. Your next post few posts are likely to define your time here -- and it is already noted how you whine about how we treat wanabes on the board and in case you failed to notice -- WE DON'T CARE....
SOTB beat me to it.

Username93 - it isn't about what you want, or what you can do. Fact is that right now, there are no chicks in combat arms MOSes.

Knowing that, looks for ways to serve if that is what you want to do, if not. Don't join the military. Not much discussion in between there.

On one hand, you annoy the shit out of me since you know the constraints that you are in but won't shut up about it. is it unfair that you can't get a shot at the title? maybe. but talking smack on the internet isn't going to change US DOD policy re: females in combat any time soon.

On the other hand I admire the fact that you just want to serve and are not looking a free ride on Uncle Sugar's dime.

Your 3 'best bets' as a female are MP, MI, or EOD. You've been given that advice several times in several posts. Pick a job, sign the paper, get trained, do your job the best you can, and doors will open up for you if you have your shit together.

Bottom line: You can sit on the sidelines and pout because they won't let you play QB or you can get in the fucking game and help out.
Old 30 April 2006, 23:18
Confirmed User

Username 93,

Quit your sniveling. Life ainít fair and the Army isnít run to suit your whims. Females donít get to do everything that men do in the military. Your physical prowess doesnít change that a bit. Itís a fact of life and it probably wonít change soon, not in my lifetime, much less yours. Be glad you can get into the MOSís that are available to you and go to a hot zone.

EOD is extremely tough, ever think about what will happen if you canít cut it once youíre in the school? Thatís right youíll get an MOS of the Armyís choice, and theyíre always needing more clerks and cooks. That being said, the BTDTís on this board, who have done so much that I have never done, have told you MORE THAN ONCE that just because you arenít an 11 or 18 series doesnít mean you wonít be seeing lead projectiles heading your way, or an IED blowing up in your face. Pay attention to whoís giving you advice, one of them is an active duty female and Iím sure all the males have worked around females in the sandbox. They know what they are talking about and you should be more respectful of the advice they are giving you.

You got issues, girl, and having you in the military sounds like a REALLY bad idea. I worked with female MPís with your same attitude and they were NOT exemplary soldiers. Lose the chip on your shoulder, be grateful to be serving your country in ANY capacity and work your damned butt off to be the best in your field whatever it may be.

I served almost 20 years ago for five and a half years, never saw combat, Iím glad I did my time and in a heartbeat would do it again. I held a support role, I was a Veterinary Technician and proud of it.

**BTDTís Ė Iíve never butted into something like this before, but I REALLY have a problem with females with this attitude about the military.

LL
Old 1 May 2006, 00:47
BTDT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady
I served almost 20 years ago for five and a half years, never saw combat, Iím glad I did my time and in a heartbeat would do it again. I held a support role, I was a Veterinary Technician and proud of it.
Thank you for your service, LL.
Old 9 May 2006, 14:36
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA
A lot of hoorah stuff will likely be posted. If that's what you want to do then do it.

Cooks are fighting the war, admin clerks are fighting the war, finance guys are. Fighting the war isn't just shooting bad guys.

People here at home are fighting the war: they're giving blood, they're donating to food kitchens, they're arranging events for wives left behind, and soldiers who come home injured. They're sending care packages, they're writing letters. They're soliciting donations for the USO, and etc and so on.

Without all of that the war, as it were, would be lost.

Good luck.

KidA, this may be your finest post ever. This thread had been fun to read just for your post and Doogie's.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 May 2006, 22:49
BTDT

username- by your heartfelt pining for war- it sounds like you want to be a Ranger more than a "Green Beret" :)

I don't know how- but I've seen RTB females wear the Ranger beret- but it's not really close to the "Green Beret", so that might not satisfy you.

On a serious note: your emotions, while charming for a female wrestler, would not get you far if you were allowed to go to the Q. That is one reason having the 18X program stirs up so much emotions here: because young people are more prone to emotions. Emotions will usually get people killed, therefore I'd recommend you get some other experience before going SF IF you were a male.

On options: to hell with intel and MP's. Go psyops or civil affairs. That's real close to the GB....... club. Ha, ha- seriously, they're in Army SpecOps and deployed constantly and are armed (usually). And people may look for you there too- if you shine. There are always opportunities for those who are very good at whatever they have been trained to do.

Oh, and one other thing: no matter where you go, Ranger, SF, CA, Psyop, MP, Intel, 82nd, etc- you will eventually do paperwork. And you may never see a battlefield. What if you were a guy, got sent to SF and spent your entire time deployed to Thailand doing FID? Then got sent to HQ to monitor AAR's from the guys in combat? What would you do then, internally combust? You better not, because those guys are counting on you to square away their AAR's so that lessons are learned by the next group coming over. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't sign on the dotted line- no matter your sex or combat dreams.

Our new posting rules