Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Introduce Yourself With Your First Post Here

Old 22 September 2016, 19:36

Hello,
Served in the 204th MP Co, Stuttgart 88-91
Deployed DS/DS 90-91
DST Ft McClellan 91-92
Texas LEO since 93. Currently Investigator in East Texas.
Old 22 September 2016, 19:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Hello, I am retired active duty after 24 years. I served in the 7th SFG, 25th ID, 82nd, 1st ID and the 3rd SFG. I have 27 years experience in electronics engineering and circuit design. I look forward to contributing to this community as well as learning from you.
Congrats on retirement. THX for your service, served in a couple of the same units you did.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 22 September 2016, 21:47
Did...did I do that?

Good to see another MP here. Just missed you in Germany.
Old 23 September 2016, 07:09
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun893 View Post
I am a retired AFSOC Flight evaluator and Instructor on MC130 Variants, AN-32b and AN26b (ANTONOV Aircraft), Former Air Advisor (F.I.D.S). Great being a part of the community and thankful for being accepted into the group.
Welcome
Old 23 September 2016, 07:11
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by beandogger View Post
Good Morning from Hawaii. Brief intro.....retired US Army 2011. Served in Army Security Agency after BCT and one year at DLI studying Chinese-Mandarin. Served in Okinawa, Japan, Thailand, ROK, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and several state side posts. Deployed to Desert Storm with 3rd Army, OIF with 1 CORPS and again with DIA. Never made it to Afghanistan. Only time away from MI was with 191 INF BDE (Training support) in the late 90s at FLW. Interested in what everyone has to say about any subject.
Now this is a small community. Did DLI for the same in 83...first duty station was Torii, till we shut it down. I just missed ASA by a hair...it turned into INSCOM. When were you there?
Old 27 September 2016, 11:28
Confirmed User

Greetings

Proud and honored to be a part of this community.

FMR 0311 2/2 Golf Co Marine Raider

I currently live in Coronado Ca.

Semper Fi
Old 27 September 2016, 19:11
Been There Done That

Semper Fi and welcome...you're in good company.
Old 27 September 2016, 22:23

I am honored to be on this forum, I am a 19f was stationed at Ayers kaserne formerly known as The Rock. Defenders of the fula Gap West Germany.
Old 28 September 2016, 23:14

introduction

I'll keep trying this. Eventually it'll post in the proper space.

Closest I've ever been to this type of environment was with the United State Naval Sea Cadet Corps. 1980 - 1984 CPO Dahlgren Division, Washington Navy Yard. Around 1981 we had a young sailor join. John Rottger was working his was to BUDs and he created the first SEAL program for the Corps. There were a handful of us who learned a great deal from him. Lt.Rottger took us to Little Creek to meet and run the various O courses with Team Two operators. They showed us gear, answered many questions, and taught us many things.
Old 29 September 2016, 16:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Semper Fi and welcome...you're in good company.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Respect.
Old 1 October 2016, 06:47

Hi all I currently am a DOS/DOD PSS/PSD Medic. Former LEO SWAT& EOD Medic
Old 1 October 2016, 07:52
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicFL View Post
Hi all I currently am a DOS/DOD PSS/PSD Medic. Former LEO SWAT& EOD Medic
Good medics are always Welcome.

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 1 October 2016, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichael View Post
Yes sir. I began doing research, crunching numbers, and weighing out my options about a year ago.
I first made the mistake of starting my law enforcement career with a sheriff's office. That means that every 4 years there is a high probability that a new sheriff and entirely new command staff will come in from the outside. The moves and changes that go with that are pretty drastic! By the time things settle down, it's time to do it all over again.

I am still young, but I have been fortunate enough to excel at my job and work in just about every position available. (Jail, patrol, street crimes, undercover narc, marine patrol, SWAT team, SORT team, ect)

I sat down and came up with a 5 year plan..
My goal is to eventually get into a PSS position; however, I need to be the rook again and work my way up to it. So, I've decided to start with KBOSSS and complete the full contract for a year. Hopefully after that year, I will be able to move up within this company. If not, it'll at least give me a year over there and a DOD clearance.
That should make me more appealing for the same position under WPS.
If I get that the next year, then I'll have the 2 years and DOD/DOS clearances.
Hopefully once I've got that, I can move into a PSS position.

As a police officer, I made about $62k last year. After expenses/taxes, that doesn't leave a whole lot to put in the bank.
So if I can do contracts for 5 years, bank enough to pay off all debt, pay cash for a house, and set some aside for retirement, then I'll be happy.
That isn't a bad position to be in at 35 years old.

Our current "retirement" where I'm at now is a 401k that they match up to 6%. I've had that maxed for 9 years and it'll stay with me. I also have a perfectly clean professional record and personnel file, so it will be easy for me to maintain my certification and get back into law enforcement in 5 years if I choose to do so.

(And thanks for looking out! 😉 We look out for our troubled vets equally. Jail doesn't exactly help them, so we're able to force the VA to initiate treatment in lieu of charges when applicable)
62k a year plus benefits is pretty good. Especially since KBOSS is about 75-90k no benefits and 14-16 hour days..
Old 4 October 2016, 00:47

Introduction

New to Socnet, thanks for authorizing me to post admins. I do not have any prior military experience but actually have my MEPS appointment this week with plans to join the Coast Guard. Originally I was going to join the Navy, however I couldn't get the job I wanted with them. The main reason I joined this site was for information about Coast Guard AST. There is not too much information on the web about this rate and was hoping to get in contact with someone who went through training or is currently enlisted as an AST.
Old 4 October 2016, 01:51
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
The main reason I joined this site was for information about Coast Guard AST.
Welcome aboard, and congrats on raising your right hand.

Not sure how many Coasties we've got here. You might also want to glance at https://www.reddit.com/r/uscg
Old 4 October 2016, 09:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Welcome aboard, and congrats on raising your right hand.

Not sure how many Coasties we've got here. You might also want to glance at https://www.reddit.com/r/uscg
Iraqgunz comes to mind. He's a former Coastie.
Old 4 October 2016, 12:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
New to Socnet, thanks for authorizing me to post admins. I do not have any prior military experience but actually have my MEPS appointment this week with plans to join the Coast Guard. Originally I was going to join the Navy, however I couldn't get the job I wanted with them. The main reason I joined this site was for information about Coast Guard AST. There is not too much information on the web about this rate and was hoping to get in contact with someone who went through training or is currently enlisted as an AST.
That's USCG Rescue Swimmer right? I haven't seen any on here, but there are probably folks who can help you prepare physically for a swim school.

Welcome

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 4 October 2016, 21:20

Yes it is. I'm very comfortable with swimming because it was my main sport for many years. I was hoping for insight into what to expect for running mileage!
Old 4 October 2016, 23:10
Been There Done That

JPK, welcome and thank you for crossing the line, and volunteering for a job in the military that will be one of you risking your life on a daily basis to recuse others in dire need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 October 2016, 10:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
JPK, welcome and thank you for crossing the line, and volunteering for a job in the military that will be one of you risking your life on a daily basis to recuse others in dire need.
Well stated. Some of us has-beens on this site may be living vicariously through you JPK. Don't disappoint.

Our new posting rules