Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Introduce Yourself With Your First Post Here

Old 14 April 2009, 13:23
Newbie shooter

No personal Mil or LEO experience.

My father left the private sector and is now the top civilian scientist at NUWC-NPT, working every day to keep us one step ahead of everyone else in signals intelligence.. I admit I was a bit of an embarrassment to him (and possibly could have cost him his security clearance) when at 13 I got caught hacking air force web pages and the DOD and local FBI showed up at our door. If any of you ever worked at Moody air force base (www.moody.af.mil), sorry, mea culpa.

Thankfully they were understanding and I learned my lesson. They gave me a summer job instead of a jail sentence. I cleaned up my act quick and stayed out of trouble ever since.

I'm currently a Law student, recently I had an opportunity to sit in on a panel of military justices discussing the issue of habeas corpus and what changes now that GITMO is closing.

As you might expect most of the students there just wanted to cry about violating these guys "human rights", the horrors of water boarding, and possible criminal prosecution for the people involved.

My questions forever earned me the stink from some of my classmates, were mostly dismissed, but largely couldn't be answered.

1. Examining the Geneva conventions treaty from a contract law standpoint (I know, its a treaty, and therefor subject to different rules, but bear with me) why are we bound by it against non-state actors? In basic contract law in order for a promise to be binding there has to be consideration. In the case of a treaty, the consideration is effectively a promise for a promise. If you do this so will I. If the other side doesn't hold up their side, that is commits a material breach, the other side is no longer bound by the terms of the contract.

2. The argument boils down to: If they do don't follow any of the rules, why should we?

3. With regards to the moral high ground standpoint: No we shouldn't stoop to their level. But that doesn't mean we should have to be so worried about hurting their delicate feelings either.

4. Invariably, the council representing the GITMO guys brings up the argument: But we are risking our soldiers lives! If we use so called "ehanced interrogation" techniques on them or lock them up without trial, just think what they will do to our guys! I asked for any data to back up the theory that treating their guys like kings does anything to make our service men safer. Infact the data would seem to suggest that treating them so well makes our guys less safe by giving them the impression that even if they are caught they need only sit while getting fed three square meals a day on our dime for our public to rise up and free them.

The definition of stupidity to me is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result. I didn't get a very warm reception for my arguments.. but I wasn't counting on one.

I teach muay thai part time at a local MMA gym. I just started work for a fighter management company, idealy I'd like to see if I can't become an agent or fight promoter in the fast growing sport of MMA. Unless you come to the local NE promotions the only fighter we rep you might have heard of is John "Doomsday" howard, who took fight of the night (and an extra 65k ontop of his 8k contract fee - woot!)

Anyway, I'm a hell of news junkie. I ran across this place looking for sort of an insider/different perspective, CNN, the BBC, and a lot of the major news outlets set off my bullshit detector a lot, or at least seem to lack perspective.

I was born in America but have lived in London, Thailand, and Israel for extended periods of time.

I hope I can learn a lot here, and will do my best not to open my mouth without having something interesting to say.

-J

PS: sorry for the book and a half.
Old 14 April 2009, 23:11
Been There Done That

Greetings

Hi All,
My name is Nick. I'm still active and flying 60s at Ft. Campbell. I've been lurking here for some time, and chances are I'll go back to doing so save the occasional post. Its always good to read the thoughts of the like-minded (for the most part) individuals here.
Old 15 April 2009, 13:25
CEO, Peanut Gallery

I'm a retired Navy guy; 1974 - 2007. Six years enlisted doing ECM stuff, the rest was spent as a officer teaching CSAR and other survival courses....that is where/when I got to know some of the SEALS in Nevada. Also did time investigating aircraft mishaps.

Last edited by Dozer; 15 April 2009 at 13:36.
Old 15 April 2009, 14:02
Confirmed User

I am a long-time lurker on this site. I've never been in the military nor in LE.

I have a nephew who has been in Army Special Forces (Green Beret) and have known several former members of NSW (SEAL) community.

I do volunteer work in Mexico in teaching and in construction.

In my paying job I am an engineer.

Now back to lurk mode.
Old 15 April 2009, 15:18

New here

Was in the Navy back in the cold war days. Navcomsta Morocco was my duty station.

Great admiration for the SEALS.
Old 15 April 2009, 16:19

How's everyone doing? My name is Ian and I'm from New Jersey (go ahead and make jokes, I don't like this state either). I'm an Automotive Technician working for a Chrysler/Jeep dealership, however I'm currently disabled due to hernia repair.

I have never been in the Military or Law Enforcement, but I have some relatives and close friends who are in both areas. My god father and his son were both Marines, my best friend's father was a Lt Col in the ANG, a friend I met through my best friend was a Ranger (great guy, now I believe he is training to be old guard). My best friends cousin, who is also my friend, is a Police Officer in Jersey City.

I realize that was kinda long winded, I apologize. I'm just here because I have a deep admiration for anyone who has served this country.
Old 15 April 2009, 17:14

Hello all.

Thanks for having me.
Enlisted USMC in '91. I was an 0311 with Bravo 1/1, and indoc'd for STA during my first deployment. I don't have my SRB in front of me, but also went to Benning to get my lead sled some time around 92. Graduated sniper school in 93 prior to second deployment to OKI. Worked closely with 3rd Force over there, and a few training evos with SEAL bubbas. The only experience I have with SF and Ranger was when my enlistment ended, I joined the National Guard here in Nebraska. I spent the remainder of my contract with 134th LRS, including a short stint with an Army MEDIC unit. Came off of Inactive reserve and spent a few years drilling with a USMCR engineer and maintenance Co. Decided rear echelon wasn't for me, and here I am. I'm a little long in the tooth, but still interested in the community. I'd love to see if there's any contract work out there for an old 8541.
Old 15 April 2009, 19:00

Intell

I'd like to start out by thanking the administrators for allowing my on since I'm not SF but I supported a lot in activities around the way. Besides knowing many Operators I got to work with them in and out of the service and now as a Police Officer.
Old 15 April 2009, 19:02

New Booter

Just joined this site. Thanks for the acceptence.
Spent 20 in the navy and retired back in 98. My best time was (hands down!) with SBU-24 from 82-86. Did a little trip in Central America and a few other places.
Thank you to all of you holding the lie right now! Barvo Zulu
Old 16 April 2009, 18:34

Thanks for permission to come aboard. USN 86-91 Active 91-97 USNR. Former OS qualified AIC. worked w/COMCARAIRGROUP7 Strike Controller/SWC qualified. USNR time w/CB17 as EO. Met the guys fm the Emerald City as they gave us our weapons/patrolling courses. Not sure why the Army did it but thanks to them, a very highly skilled professional group, as are all Meat Eaters.

Live in IL wk in WI. Midwest transplant (winters suck) Have explored the site. Only regret, not finding it long ago. Hope to contribute. (at some time) Plan on using the site to re-energize the civilian, PC, dulled senses I once had permeating through my veins.
Old 17 April 2009, 02:15

knock knock

Retired from active duty last year after too many runs to the Balkans, Afghanistan, Iraq, and the usual holes. Started 11B, got different kinds of wings, now I don't have to be called 'chief' by people anymore. Just keeping my ears open by stopping by...
Old 17 April 2009, 21:36

I have worked in corporate Security for about 3 years. I also work as a volunteer Firefighter in my town. This site was reccomended to me by a friend, and I've already found alot of great information here prior to signing up. I've never served in the Military, though sometimes now I wish I had.

Thanks for the opportunity to join your forums.
Old 18 April 2009, 00:34
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

Want to commodate that last few intros. No tuff guys, not muscle men, no trying to join to reflect toughness to a tough crowd. Excellent intros. Glad to have you.

Class
Old 18 April 2009, 23:37

Was in the Marine Corps as an 0311 for nearly nine years. My service ran the gamut of serving hot dogs in third world countries to kicking in doors in Iraq. Got out for five years, tried security contracting and other jobs, and realized that civilian life sucked. Decided to go back in the military and get on the Varsity Team. Joined the Guard and am now a NQP awaiting SFAS.

I look forward to learning from the professionals on this site. Thank you for having me.
Old 19 April 2009, 08:08

first post

i have no military background just very interested in special ops. i am about 45 minutes from ft. bragg and have friends there in sf. this is a great website.
Old 19 April 2009, 09:06
Been There Done That

????

How did you manage to start your own thread for an intro post? Didn't want to join the group of two thousand who preceded you, all of whom put their 1st post in the correct location?

Welcome to SOCnet. Read More, Post Less. Learn.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 April 2009, 09:37
Wolverines!

Strictly Civvie here. I work in LE and have been a Firefighter / Tactical Medic for about 10 years or so. I work for a smaller agency in North Central TX. Thanks to all you guys for what you do and letting us be a part of your website. I have had several training classes with SEAL's and you guys are incredible. I'm always eager to learn. Especially from the best!
Old 19 April 2009, 10:18
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaw View Post
Strictly Civvie here. I work in LE and have been a Firefighter / Tactical Medic for about 10 years or so. I work for a smaller agency in North Central TX. Thanks to all you guys for what you do and letting us be a part of your website. I have had several training classes with SEAL's and you guys are incredible. I'm always eager to learn. Especially from the best!
johnnylaw
PM inbound.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:49

Greetings

Hey there everyone,

It's been a while since I logged on here, but I thought I'd do another introduction. My name's Art. I've been with the 160th since 2004. I'm a 15U MH-47G Crewmember I've been in A/2, E/2, and was "lucky" enough to stand up the new 4th BN and started up the new B Co (Evil Empire) here at Ft. Lewis. Hope to talk more with you guys soon!

Art
Yelm, WA
Old 19 April 2009, 16:38

First post

Gentleman, I am a prior active duty U.S. Army MP with the 4th MP, Ft Carson,CO '77-'80, 526th MP, Ft. Greely,AK '81'-'82 and 204th ( Ft, Sheridan,IL ), MP '82-84. Also did Naval Reserve Intel work from '99-'07 including a tour in A-stan '05'-'06. I have been a Deputy Sheriff with the Lake County,IL Sheriff's Office since 1988, I have been assigned to patrol, court security, TAC Team and trained as a firearms instructor. Thanks for letting a non-SF type into the party.

Our new posting rules