Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 1 October 2010, 12:35
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll 50 View Post
Fire strike 7/9 about a Brit JTAC in Afghanistan, reading it now and is hard to put down.
Amazon offers it as a kindle only. Is it available in paper form?
Old 1 October 2010, 14:21
The Flying Scotsman

I have it here in Basrah with me in paperback , if you gimme your details I'll send it to you once I'm finished with it, if you're happy to take a used copy?
Old 1 October 2010, 15:25
Confirmed User

If you google, Fire strike 7/9, it pops up on Amazon.co.uk

I haven't ordered anything from them to know what shipping to the States might be, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 1 October 2010, 16:02
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll 50 View Post
I have it here in Basrah with me in paperback , if you gimme your details I'll send it to you once I'm finished with it, if you're happy to take a used copy?
Sure,
Old 4 November 2010, 00:43

Help from Above by John Schlight is a history of CAS. It's out of print and a bit pricey but an excellent read. I found it online through the AF historical Studies Office.

http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil...hlighthelp.htm

and Danger Close by Steve Call are two of my favorites.

RR
Old 20 March 2013, 12:41
Been There Done That

"As far as JTAC school goes does anyone know how long the Naval Special Warfare course is?"

Four weeks in Nevada. They are trying to change it to six weeks. Its worth it for pigs in space
Old 12 April 2013, 18:35
Red Headed Stepchild

Two must-reads from the FAC(A) side: A lonely kind of war, written by a USAF OV-10 pilot, and A hundred feet over hell, which despite the title is an excellently written book about Army O-1 TACA pilots. Both are set during Vietnam, but the stories are timeless.
Old 15 April 2013, 15:01
Authorized Personnel

Not a Good Day to Die the Untold Story of Operation Anaconda, published in 2005 by Sean Naylor.

May not cover the "technical" side of JTACery much, but it is a damn good read (especially coming from a Canuck).

But I agree that Steve Calls "Danger Close" is still, by far, the best JTACery book out there. (IMO)

HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 28 April 2013, 22:23

Roberts Ridge is also a great read and was better then Not a good day to die, IMHO. Both cover the same mission (I've read both) but from different prospective's.

I've been wanting to read Danger Close but haven't picked it up. Might be my next purchase.
Old 3 August 2014, 23:39

I have also heard stories of USAF A-10 guys checking-in on JTAC's working a stack and coming over the Comms with, "I am now the on-scene commander and will be running the stack and CAS". I think my repsonse would have to be something like, "Great, go ahead and hold Bravo 75 at 18k and advise when Bingo", screw that. Anyone else have stories of things like that and what you did to deal with it. The lessons learned will come in handy for me shortly. Thanks and S/F[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of anything like this being done, training or theater
Old 4 August 2014, 00:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWhite0861 View Post
I have also heard stories of USAF A-10 guys checking-in on JTAC's working a stack and coming over the Comms with, "I am now the on-scene commander and will be running the stack and CAS". I think my repsonse would have to be something like, "Great, go ahead and hold Bravo 75 at 18k and advise when Bingo", screw that. Anyone else have stories of things like that and what you did to deal with it. The lessons learned will come in handy for me shortly. Thanks and S/F
Never had any pilots say they had control of the stack, but there are procedures for them to assist. Don't know how many assets you've controlled by yourself, but if there is an abundance of airborne "things" in your kill box, assistance is appreciated. Imagine having all this in your stack:

-A10's
-AC130
-Preds
-Manned ISR
-EC130
-Helos

If you're on the ground, with maybe two freqs at your disposal, you'll soon be task saturated. I've done both, controlled stacks from the ground and the air. If the A10/F16/F15/AV8/F18 driver is FAC-A certified, then your life just got a lot easier. Please look at your airborne assets as your helpers.
Old 22 January 2016, 04:57
I am into Champagne

http://www.amazon.com/collection-evaluation-intelligence-German-Command/dp/0891261435

This is strategic and operational history- how modern concept was developed from interview with Luftwaffe personnel after world war 2 dealing with their experience on Eastern front.

Why isolation of battlefield is superior use of attack aircraft. But the design of A-10 counters some of the inherent risk of close air support/tactical air mission.

I hope against the need- but some of the lesson learned, specifically sortie/loss % would be very applicable against China. 1% loss 1% severe damage is acceptable if mission is successful, but at 500 sortie each night units will be bled dry by the 'million small cut'.

It is 1 copy available at Amazon, but I assume that active duty military may find easier access.

If you see value in history of air power in major conflict- you will enjoy the reading and insight.

Respectfully,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 22 January 2016, 22:34

Level Zero Hero by Michael Golembesky

It's about his time in Afghanistan as a JTAC assigned to a MARSOC unit. Very well written, easy read.

Our new posting rules