Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Naval Special Warfare Recruitment and Prep

Closed Thread

Old 29 March 2010, 11:11
Been There Done That

Gents, I have left the recruiting business for greener pastures and will no longer respond to PM's from wannabes on this subject.
Old 5 May 2010, 00:16

RETIRED SOCS not to tell you are wrong or anything. I work at the MEPS Center on GUAM.

but when it comes to vision and the whole getting eye exam out in town and it outweighing the MEPS one. That used to be the truth, but the Doctor at MEPS now has the ability to say no to the Civilian if he feels at all that the applicant is lying in one weigh or another. Because their has been to many cases that applicant have been caught actually paying off civilian doctors to say something that isn't true believe it or now it happens.

HN Songer, Austin
Naval Hospital Guam
austin.songer@med.navy.mil
Old 5 May 2010, 01:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonger316 View Post
RETIRED SOCS not to tell you are wrong or anything. I work at the MEPS Center on GUAM.

but when it comes to vision and the whole getting eye exam out in town and it outweighing the MEPS one. That used to be the truth, but the Doctor at MEPS now has the ability to say no to the Civilian if he feels at all that the applicant is lying in one weigh or another. Because their has been to many cases that applicant have been caught actually paying off civilian doctors to say something that isn't true believe it or now it happens.

HN Songer, Austin
Naval Hospital Guam
You are correct, but when I wrote the original post I was correct. As you can see I have left the recruiting business and am no longer updating when a new policy comes out. Bye now!
Old 5 May 2010, 04:14

Quote:

HN Songer, Austin
Naval Hospital Guam
HN Songer,

So is it actually possible for this to be waived, because my recruiters said no. I tested 20/100 and 20/70 when I went to MEPs, and I know my eyesight isn't that bad so I went and got 2 civilian eye exams. One was 20/60 and 20/40, the other said 20/80 and 20/50. If I brought them to MEPs and the doctor signed off on the exam, I could get a SEAL contract? What about when I get tested when I get to RTC and if I fail, do I lose that contract?

My recruiters seem to be in the dark on the eye issue, so I thank you for any help.
Old 5 May 2010, 06:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlewis View Post
HN Songer,

So is it actually possible for this to be waived, because my recruiters said no. I tested 20/100 and 20/70 when I went to MEPs, and I know my eyesight isn't that bad so I went and got 2 civilian eye exams. One was 20/60 and 20/40, the other said 20/80 and 20/50. If I brought them to MEPs and the doctor signed off on the exam, I could get a SEAL contract? What about when I get tested when I get to RTC and if I fail, do I lose that contract?

My recruiters seem to be in the dark on the eye issue, so I thank you for any help.
Well, one exam says you are qualified and the other says you are not (20/80). Sure you could discard the bad one and submit the good one and the MEPS doctor might sign off on it. But you will get another eye exam at Great Lakes and if it confirms your vision is still bad you will likely lose your SEAL contract.
Old 5 May 2010, 11:53

I see, I figured it was like that, but thought I should check. Thank you Senior Chief.
Old 6 May 2010, 23:33

Email me and I will email you the MEPS form that we use for civilians to sign off at the MEPS Center.
Old 7 May 2010, 04:10

Quote:
Email me and I will email you the MEPS form that we use for civilians to sign off at the MEPS Center.
I actually took a PST today and spoke with my motivator for awhile about this. If I were to get my eyes waived but then not pass the eye exam at RTC then I'd lose my contract and would not be guaranteed to get into one of the other specwar programs (specifically EOD, which I am contracted as now).

But, if I were to go to RTC with my EOD contract, and pass the eye exam once there, then there would be a good chance that I could talk them into switching my contract from EOD to SEAL.

Just to clarify, I would be more than happy in either program and definitely honored to be a part of either. But if I had a choice between the two then I'd pick SEAL as it is what I had wanted to do for years. I didn't know anything about the Navy's EOD program until a couple of months ago, and it looks like a badass, highspeed program that I would also love to be apart of.

ML
Old 23 May 2010, 21:13

Qualify

I am leaving for RTC on June 8th to be an AV Sailor.

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the PST while in boot camp to qualify for the SEAL Challenge? If so can you change your contract, assuming qualifications and opening is available, while in RTC?

Appreciate any info.
Old 23 May 2010, 22:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonds View Post
I am leaving for RTC on June 8th to be an AV Sailor.

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the PST while in boot camp to qualify for the SEAL Challenge? If so can you change your contract, assuming qualifications and opening is available, while in RTC?

Appreciate any info.
Why didn't you take the PST before you left? A lot of guys don't want to wait the 3 or 4 months after they pass the PST to ship off to boot camp so they ship off thinking they can "cut in line" past all the guys who did wait. If that is what you are doing then expect to wait a while between boot camp and the prep course.
Old 24 May 2010, 19:10

No... nothing like that, i'm not trying to "cut" in front of anyone.

I took the AV contract because i'm in a position where I need the money. Alot of things are catching up including school loans and wifes medical bills. I really need the steady pay check.

I am just hoping I can qualify for the seal challenge in RTC and later on down the road get the contract.
Old 25 May 2010, 01:27
Been There Done That

Well, hopefully you already know if you are qualified for SEAL and can pass the PST when you get to boot camp. If not, you are probably gonna owe at a minimum a couple of years as an AV "after" you finish your school. If you get an enlistment bonus for AV you will likely have to finish your entire first enlistment.
Old 26 May 2010, 01:29

I appologize if i'm not readin you correct... So I can take the PST during boot camp?
Old 26 May 2010, 05:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonds View Post
I appologize if i'm not readin you correct... So I can take the PST during boot camp?
Yes you can take the PST at boot camp. I'm guessing your recruiter is telling you that you can't so he can get credit for a SEAL contract?
Old 22 July 2010, 16:18

Gents,
I am having a little bit of trouble with my NC worksheet i am currently submitting for BUD/s. I recently retook my asvab because my original one did not give me an average of 165. (Gs+Mc+Ei) I got my results back and while my scores in those three sections where higher i am still 5 points shy of 160. I was planning on attempting a waiver which i hoped would be easy enough since i have a fairly decent overall percentile, but then i read on a flyer i received at a Navy Career fair that there was a third Asvab combo which was VE+AR=104 and a minumum MC of 50. This i would be good on. So i guess my question is if anyone knows if that flyer was incorrect, because i see no option of that third sum on the NC Worksheet. I apologize if this is a strange question but i am not working with a Motivator yet and my command is not too familiar with the process. Thanks for any help anyone can give me
respectfully
Old 22 July 2010, 23:08
Been There Done That

NickB, Your VE+AR+MC score should qualify you. To make sure nothing has changed you need to be talking to the Motivators on the active side of the house in Coronado or Little Creek.
Old 29 July 2010, 16:07

Senior,
Spoke with a Motivator and was told i needed the above 165 score so i guess im 5 short. so now im talking to him about getting a waiver which i hope wont be to difficult. Thanks very much for the help
Old 26 August 2010, 22:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Senior,
Spoke with a Motivator and was told i needed the above 165 score so i guess im 5 short. so now im talking to him about getting a waiver which i hope wont be to difficult. Thanks very much for the help
Nick, I get that your GS+EI+MC is too low. But if you are correct about your VE+AR and MC then you are qualified. There are 4 possibilities here: 1) Your motivator is mistaken. 2) There is now a difference in selection criteria between recruiting from the fleet and from the street. 3) The VE+AR and MC combination has been dropped in the last 6 months since I left the recruiting business. 4) You are not qualified for some other reason.
Old 27 August 2010, 19:30

Roger Senior, i will be speaking with a NC Chief next week so hopefully i can get this figured out and see if i am qualified or if i need to go the waiver route, and/or retake my ASVAB again when i am able. Thanks very much for your advice.
Old 13 November 2010, 00:19
On the Extract Bird

How goes it NickB? Everything going according to plan? Hit me up if you want to know about Boot Camp or BUDS Prep buddy.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules