Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 23 June 2010, 20:51
Marketing Tool

Planning on attending Funeral. Not that difficult to ID; think Avatar image.

cdl
Old 23 June 2010, 21:52
Authorized Personnel

For those attending the funeral tomorrow... There is NO AC in the church..... Parking will be controlled by Boy Scouts.
Old 25 June 2010, 22:24
Authorized Personnel

Here is a link to the slide show of his service in Indiana.

http://fwnextweb1.fortwayne.com/ns/p...eral/index.php
Old 17 July 2010, 03:07

Air Force Capt. Anthony Simone [is progressing]:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...t_harpers.html
Old 17 July 2010, 09:05

RIP always remember we keep them alive and rested spiritually... much love to those who have and will dedicate there self
Old 29 July 2010, 11:43
Confirmed User

RIP to the Fallen.

Prayers Out to the Wounded and Familys
Old 13 August 2010, 12:35

RIP
Old 17 August 2010, 00:17
Been There Done That

Hey brother,
Just wanted you to know that Tony is doing very well all things considered. His wife is taking great care of him. He was not doing well when we got him out, and the fact that he's still with us is nothing short of a miracle. Tony is a phenominal pilot and we all loved having him and Wiz on Lead.
stay strong and pray for Tony.
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndernald View Post
My Mother contacted me today to tell me about a childhood friend of mine that was seriously injured in Afghanistan on June 9th. My heart sank as she shared the details... a helicopter downed by a rocket propelled grenade... four killed instantly...

He was the co-pilot on this MEDEVAC, and one of the three original survivors. My Mother said one of the three has since succumbed to his wounds.

I met Tony in the seventh grade. We played football together all throughout high school. He was a good a kid. Just one of those damn good kids. Always positive. Always smiling and laughing. Always leaning into a challenge. I liked him a lot - everyone did. Had you met him, you would've liked him too. He was just that kind of guy.

Unfortunately, I never again saw Tony after graduation. I went West, and he South, to Florida, to pursue his passion for aviation, and gain a commercial pilot's license. Obviously, somewhere along the path, he found his way to the Air Force.

Word is my old bro has got a real bad brain injury, along with significant burns.

My Heart aches for his parents, his little brother... his wife, their infant.

I haven't seriously cried in awhile but, today, the tears flow freely. This is really ripping me up inside. I just don't want to think about Tony hurt like that. I know, I'm selfish, and shortsighted. So be it... for now...

Sincere thanks to the PJ's, pilots, and crew that risked their lives to extricate, and evacuate Tony and the others. I can't even imagine.

My sympathies to the friends and families of those who gave the ghost that day.

Thanks for listening.

- Bernd
Old 29 April 2011, 17:45

FWIW, I was standing next to the HLS at Jackson when this happened. I remember the details perfectly. One of the details that nobody mentions is that the pilot saved countless lives with his actions after being hit. I wasn't looking at the HLS when it happened, but talking to a young Brit that was trimming my TL's hair with my clippers. We heard a loud bang. I looked over and saw a smoke trail from the far side of the wall that led to a gaping hole in the tail boom. The pilot had slewed his tail over the HLS hescos in oder to facilitate a rapid landing (we were getting a lot on insurgent activity those days). The helo continued to slew at high speed straight towards our DFAC. I saw the pilot jam back on his stick as hard as he could and he spiralled up about 200'. I recall looking straight into the cockpit and seeing a red shop rag fly out of the main rotor. It was surreal. When he came down, it was on the far side of the FOB, outside the wire. The bird immediately burst into flames. The gate guard and I tried to get to the helo, but it was a firball. The security bird came in and got to work and we got sent back for fire suppression gear. We spent the rest of the afternoon filling fire suppression gear, hauling water and debris and trying not to think too much. It was hot as hell that day and we ended up with a lot of heat/stress casualties...
The Taliban stayed away from us for a few days. I think they knew there was going to be hell to pay.

Mods; Delete/redact as necessary
Old 29 April 2011, 17:46

Sorry, "Fireball".
Old 30 April 2011, 05:40
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknife View Post
FWIW, I was standing next to the HLS at Jackson when this happened
You witness the hard reality of the Pilot.

Sometimes, you are given the dice that 'crap out' on the first roll. The measure of your skill is how much misfortune you avoid- but never all of it. "Gravity is a harsh Mistress" (apologies to Mr. Heinlein).

It is a special and different life we lead. We have some Hell on the Earth, because we lose Comrades that are better Men than most will ever have the honor to call 'Friend' while they walk the earth.

Our blessing is to know that there are good Man (Fellow Pilot, all Commando who have CSAR as their mission) who will risk their life and all their future life (Children, Grandchild, old age) to save us without knowing our name.

It is a hard decision, but I think I would choose the hard life every time.

You ran towards the crash and the fire. I will buy your drinks.

Regards,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 30 April 2011, 20:07

Thanks Johan. I've been frustrated over this since it happened. The only people who ever acknowledged this pilot's heroism are the young Brits we supported, and now you guys on here. Didn't mean to vent, but it's been eating me up.
That DFAC was serving the first hot lunch we had had for a while. It was packed full. Had the pilot panicked, we would have lost half the FOB and the JOC.
Thanks for reading/listening.
Old 30 April 2011, 23:24
Confirmed User

So are you saying that the Air Force has not officially recognized the pilots actions? That should not be.
Old 30 April 2011, 23:40
Been There Done That

None of the decs have been finalized from that mission as far as I know, other than the purple hearts. Theres a few high level awards pending for the 3 J's that were on the trail bird, not sure about for the pilots though.
Old 1 May 2011, 07:19
Been There Done That

Bigknife,
David Wisneiwski is the pilot you speak of, and Wiz was a fucking amazing pilot. I was the Trail bird PJ TL that was on the ground with you guys. I've had many nightmares of what would have happened had you and your boys not been there. You'll have a place to stay anytime if you come to the states. The Co-Pilot and Gunner are still making progress. Gunner just ran a 3-mile in 30 min.
out
Old 1 May 2011, 12:37

JJ, I was the retarded American contractor out there in all tan, without a flak. By the time you guys landed, the B Coy QRF came out and half of us hauled ass back for fire gear. We spent the rest of the day working a bucket brigade. Do you recall that big-ass white balloon sitting west of the alamo? That was my team. Luckily, that thing was grounded, otherwise it would have been right in Wiz's flight path.
Old 1 May 2011, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherj View Post
The Co-Pilot and Gunner are still making progress. Gunner just ran a 3-mile in 30 min.
out
That is damn good to hear. I knew that a couple had made it out alive, but everybody was quiet on the details. I heard that the Co-Pilot lost his legs due to the canopy collapsing and pinning his legs in (pure scuttlebutt, but it's all we had for details).
Old 4 May 2011, 16:48
Been There Done That

The Co-pilot still has his legs. We were constantly dodging those balloons. Were you on that first Jackal that came out of the FOB and drove right up to the crash? I was the guy that came up to you guys to get the fire extinguishers and water. If that vehicle hadn't come out, we would have had to do a very drastic extrication. Can't believe it's almost been a year.
Old 4 May 2011, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherj View Post
Were you on that first Jackal that came out of the FOB and drove right up to the crash?
Myself and the gate watch were running on foot. The Jackal beat us by seconds. You don't remember an ass-hat out there in shorts? That would be me.
Old 8 October 2014, 01:42

No mention of the Squadron the HH-60G belonged to!

The article mislabled the aircraft as a Blackhawk, which is a US army version of the Sikorsky H60. If this was indeed a USAF bird, it was a HH-60G pavehawk. Now, What the article did not mention was which squadron this aircraft and its crew belonged to.

Our new posting rules