Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 18 January 2017, 22:31
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Mass, what was your opinion of those welterweights that fought back in the 80s, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler and Duran?

Most of the fights that took place between them, though not all, weren't what I would call boring. I understand what you're saying, but boxing, within its defined rules and the manner in which the two fighters go at it, can definitely be pretty good.
I'm a little young to remember those fights well although I most likely saw all of them. Definitely every Hagler fight. To me, the world has moved on. Boxing is boring and limited.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 18 January 2017, 22:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm a little young to remember those fights well although I most likely saw all of them. Definitely every Hagler fight. To me, the world has moved on. Boxing is boring and limited.
Yes, I was referring to a boxing match. Of course in MMA there are numerous aspects to master, which makes becoming extremely proficient at any one aspect quite difficult.

As far as modern boxing being boring, there are some extremely talented boxers that are quite exciting to watch. Gennady Golovkin, Sergay Kovalev, Canelo, Vasyl Lomachenko, Terrence Crawford - all put on some very entertaining fights. Golovkin has what could be the best Ko percentage in history right now. Dude just destroys people.
Old 18 January 2017, 22:59
Violent Social Worker

It comes down to opinion and what you like, I can't say you're wrong because it's a matter of preference.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 January 2017, 15:04
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Boxing in many respects is like horse racing, it belongs to another era.

Boxing still has its fans, and probably always will, but as time goes on I expect you'll see its popularity diminish while MMA becomes the predominant combative sport.

Again, the demographics aren't in boxing's favor. If you look at the overall fan base of boxing vs MMA, boxing fans seem to trend older and more traditional (and, because they're getting older they are also in decline) while MMA attracts a much younger crowd.

Time will tell. Other than Mayweather, I can't think of any other boxer whose name really rings a bell with me. And even though I don't really follow the sport, I know a lot of the fighters in the MMA/UFC fold.
Old 14 February 2017, 13:08
Problem Solver

It looks like this fight just might happen after all:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...icle-1.2972132

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 19 February 2017, 18:24
Confirmed User

Looking at Golovkin I think we might have a new greatest coming on.

Our new posting rules