Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18 May 2011, 20:08
SOTB's Avatar
SOTB SOTB is offline
Minus one, but more symmetrical....
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clorox'ing the gene pool....
Posts: 33,024
PFT thread....

I thought this might be an interesting thread, even if I am the only one ever posting in it.

The rules are fairly simple, run a PFT and post your times. No one cares which service's PFT you run, or which version (perhaps since you got out, it was changed). No one cares if you are old or young, AD or prior service.

Just run a PFT and post your score.

I'll start. Today I ran a circa 1985 USMC PFT. I thought it would be a good way to see how I did after several days of being sick. And on a hot day. My idiocy knows no bounds.

20 pullups
52 situps
27 min 15 sec 3 mile run

Even though I can't find a scoring chart from that era (everyone uses crunches, today), I think the only time I've ever run a worse PFT was the week after RS.

I'm now accepting PayPal donations for gas so I can kill myself with carbon monoxide....
__________________
Losing faith in humanity, one assclown at a time....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18 May 2011, 20:48
SOTB's Avatar
SOTB SOTB is offline
Minus one, but more symmetrical....
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clorox'ing the gene pool....
Posts: 33,024
For the above PFT, I was PM'd a scoring table from that era, which shows I ran a 196.

Especially after consideration of this new info, I've found an old rubber hose to tape to my exhaust and run to the interior of my SUV, to avoid having to lay directly under it to get enough to do the job....
__________________
Losing faith in humanity, one assclown at a time....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18 May 2011, 21:01
RigdUP RigdUP is offline
Formerly SIGINTmerc
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 162
I like this. I'll run one by the end of the week.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18 May 2011, 22:25
reed11b's Avatar
reed11b reed11b is offline
Chicks dig scars
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olympia WA
Posts: 828
I have a unit one coming up in June. I'll post my score, but only if everyone promises to flip me great deals of crap for being old and very out of shape.
Reed
__________________
The Rain God is a pussy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18 May 2011, 22:43
BOFH's Avatar
BOFH BOFH is offline
I aim to misbehave
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: \\Gibson\garbage
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
I have a unit one coming up in June. I'll post my score, but only if everyone promises to flip me great deals of crap for being old and very out of shape.
Reed

259. Run hurt me.

78 Pushups
82 situps
17:06 2 mile

I'm very ashamed of my 2 mile time. Haven't been running much lately...

I'd like to add, as a piss-poor excuse, that I had drill this weekend, and I'm still recovering.
__________________
"...for those who man the battle line, the bugle whispers low, and freedom has a taste and price the protected never know..."


While true:
Continue
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18 May 2011, 23:01
CCo275's Avatar
CCo275 CCo275 is offline
Odin's Underling
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Especially after consideration of this new info, I've found an old rubber hose to tape to my exhaust and run to the interior of my SUV, to avoid having to lay directly under it to get enough to do the job....


Will you accept a Quarterly Fitness Assessment from OGA? I have one coming up next week. Here is my last one:

12 pull ups
60 push ups
62 sit ups
10:42 mile and a half run
__________________
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. RLTW!

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18 May 2011, 23:05
SOTB's Avatar
SOTB SOTB is offline
Minus one, but more symmetrical....
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clorox'ing the gene pool....
Posts: 33,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCo275
Will you accept a Quarterly Fitness Assessment from OGA?
Sure, but I think it may be so unusual for readers, that they might not know how to compare it. If you have a score card, or table, or at least know the score (ie, 245 out of a possible 300), that would be pretty cool....
__________________
Losing faith in humanity, one assclown at a time....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18 May 2011, 23:06
Gray Rhyno's Avatar
Gray Rhyno Gray Rhyno is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 8,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I thought this might be an interesting thread, even if I am the only one ever posting in it.

The rules are fairly simple, run a PFT and post your times. No one cares which service's PFT you run, or which version (perhaps since you got out, it was changed). No one cares if you are old or young, AD or prior service.

Just run a PFT and post your score.

I'll start. Today I ran a circa 1985 USMC PFT. I thought it would be a good way to see how I did after several days of being sick. And on a hot day. My idiocy knows no bounds.

20 pullups
52 situps
27 min 15 sec 3 mile run

Even though I can't find a scoring chart from that era (everyone uses crunches, today), I think the only time I've ever run a worse PFT was the week after RS.

I'm now accepting PayPal donations for gas so I can kill myself with carbon monoxide....
20 pullups is pretty damn good...
__________________
"The most HSLD stuff ever taught was the basics. So-called 'advanced training' is often no more than the very fluid and expert application of those basic skills." - SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18 May 2011, 23:15
SOTB's Avatar
SOTB SOTB is offline
Minus one, but more symmetrical....
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clorox'ing the gene pool....
Posts: 33,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699
20 pullups is pretty damn good...
It is possibly the only reason that I haven't jumped off the top of my corporate offices. Well, that and the reality that I'm pretty fearful of pain and death....
__________________
Losing faith in humanity, one assclown at a time....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18 May 2011, 23:23
Massgrunt's Avatar
Massgrunt Massgrunt is offline
Violent Social Worker
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Day shift.
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
It is possibly the only reason that I haven't jumped off the top of my corporate offices. Well, that and the reality that I'm pretty fearful of pain and death....
With that kind of PFT, can you get out onto the ledge?

I'm kidding, I fucking wish I could do that many pull ups. I think the most I've ever done was 17 and that was last year. Most I ever did on active duty was 16, they were always my weak spot. I'm doing 13-14 over hand at the end of my workouts these days, and I'm heavier than normal.

I'll run one in June. It won't be impressive at all.
__________________
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 May 2011, 23:35
wowzers wowzers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post

I'm kidding, I fucking wish I could do that many pull ups. I think the most I've ever done was 17 and that was last year. Most I ever did on active duty was 16, they were always my weak spot.
Same here. I think I averaged around 14 my whole time and got 17 once. Always ran in the 18's though. I guess those are the breaks when your tall and wormy.

I am going to run one time in the next couple days.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18 May 2011, 23:43
Massgrunt's Avatar
Massgrunt Massgrunt is offline
Violent Social Worker
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Day shift.
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Same here. I think I averaged around 14 my whole time and got 17 once. Always ran in the 18's though. I guess those are the breaks when your tall and wormy.

I am going to run one time in the next couple days.
The sad thing is setting a personal record in my 30s just drives home the point that I should have worked harder on them as a kid.
__________________
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19 May 2011, 00:35
Trig's Avatar
Trig Trig is offline
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,173
Can we "kip?" I havent ran a PFT in 12 years. I hope this thread will inspire me to do so. Fastest time while I was in was high 19's,...always maxed sits and pulls. Thanks for posting.
__________________
Never bring a knife to a gunfight. No outside beverages either - they're really strict about that shit.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19 May 2011, 06:46
RAT RAT is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Back in the GREAT STATE OF TEX
Posts: 7,411
Fat and bald... Still 1st Class that is all I am saying.

http://usmc.pftcalculator.com/

RO!!!
__________________
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19 May 2011, 07:48
DSSRonin's Avatar
DSSRonin DSSRonin is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pearl of the Orient
Posts: 1,178
Last "Wellness" test on 4/31/11;

77 push ups in 2 minutes
88 sit ups in 2 minutes
11:45 1.5 miles
275 out of 300*
Scores are adjusted based on age and gender (unknown what they do in Thailand). Same numbers for 24 y.o. dude would yield a 225.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 19 May 2011, 09:23
Soot's Avatar
Soot Soot is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 805
As I mentioned in another recent thread, I've just begun PTing again after a several year break during which the only exercise I got were 12 oz. curls and running to Dunkin Donuts.

Pass the rubber hose:

Army PFT circa 1990

27 push ups in 2 minutes (not counting the twenty-odd bitch pushups I did once I hit my knees)
34 sit ups in 2 minutes
Run/Walk 2 miles in ~40 min

Embarrasing, but motivating. I'll check in next week.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 19 May 2011, 11:07
CombatWombat
Visitor
 
Posts: n/a
Current Army APFT (score band is 32-36 years old)
68 pushups - 93 Pts
76 situps - 100 Pts
15:16 2 mile - 83 Pts
Total - 276 out of 300 pts

Run is weak post deployment. Oh well. Back to the track. We're trying out the new Army PRT test next week and I'll put up my times, but no scores are set yet. The new pushup is going to wreck me since I've always done them wide arm and now I have to keep the index finger in line with my shoulder. I'm just praying to break 20 at this point. Who would've thought changing hand positions would have such an effect?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19 May 2011, 11:41
RAT RAT is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Back in the GREAT STATE OF TEX
Posts: 7,411
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
Last "Wellness" test on 4/31/11;

77 push ups in 2 minutes
88 sit ups in 2 minutes
11:45 1.5 miles
275 out of 300*
Scores are adjusted based on age and gender (unknown what they do in Thailand). Same numbers for 24 y.o. dude would yield a 225.
WTF that have to do with anything... Hahaha
__________________
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19 May 2011, 11:52
GirlwithaGlock's Avatar
GirlwithaGlock GirlwithaGlock is offline
Russian Tycoon
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottery St Catchpole
Posts: 3,447
Current Army APFT:

29 pushups - 75/100
100 situps - 100/100
2 mile run - 18 min - 81/100

Total: 256/300

Clearly, I am not ready for Cross Fit
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19 May 2011, 16:26
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
...
Clearly, I am not ready for Cross Fit
Actually, you're just about as ready as anyone to begin. Just take your time, find your groove, push yourself and all will come together pretty quickly!
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET