Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 23 March 2014, 09:06
The Sagacious One

I have used some pretty sophisticated equipment in my time, but I have been following a program called turbulence training, which is all multiple muscle group body weight exercises. He always uses KB's. I really felt good after I squeegied the vomit into the sump pump in the basement.
Old 23 March 2014, 17:32
Confirmed User

I have been using KBs for about five years now. Between KBs and bodyweight cals, that's the core of my fitness program - along with running and Systema training.

You can get very creative with KBs. However, I strongly recommend learning solid form on both the swing (Russian flavor, not American) and the Turkish get-up. I am not a blind follower of the StrongFirst camp (Pavel Tsatsouline and crew), but most of what they teach I have found to be spot on. This approach favors quality vs. quantity. Once you have good quality - then you pour on the intensity. And with the KB - you need quality or you will end up doing some type of damage to your body - trust me - I exacerbated a shoulder and back problem by not getting proper guidance in the beginning. With a proper form on your swing, you can then move to cleans, cleans/presses and snatches. Extended snatch sessions are brutal. And the getup is a true total body exercise - but again, proper form is a must.

Beyond that there are the pushup-on-the-KB-handle/one-arm-row/move across the floor, goblet squats, double-KB swings/cleans/snatches.

I am personally addicted to them and am going for my StrongFirst level 1 instructor certification in September.
Old 23 March 2014, 18:21
Confirmed User

I just bought the Sonny Puzikas kettlebell DVD it just arrived 2 days ago. So I haven't had the chance to really do it yet. I was curious after seeing clips on youtube.

I watched it all the way through. Some interesting/different stuff on there. It's aimed toward core work. But it isn't an actual workout, just a lot of moves and how to do them. And all are done in a very slow fashion. Planks, different variations of pushups, mostly on the knuckles, even the kettlebell exercises are done rather slowly.

I did one of the slow motion kettlebell moves and found it rather difficult than something more ballistic. Maybe because gravity is working against you?

I'll give it a shot once I can break it down into a workable program.
Old 23 March 2014, 23:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
However, I strongly recommend learning solid form on both the swing (Russian flavor, not American) and the Turkish get-up. I am not a blind follower of the StrongFirst camp (Pavel Tsatsouline and crew), but most of what they teach I have found to be spot on. This approach favors quality vs. quantity. Once you have good quality - then you pour on the intensity. And with the KB - you need quality or you will end up doing some type of damage to your body.
Concur; I've been working out a local KB gym for the last 2-3 years. I'm not athletic by any means - wound up going there because my doctor mentioned my back spasms were related to poor movement quality. Literally wrote it into my record - go find a trainer and work on improving range of motion.

The quality over quantity aspect cannot be stressed enough. The variations in the exercises will highlight areas where the muscles aren't firing correctly and over time build them up. If any of the exercises result in breaking form, need to dial it back. One good rep is better than 10 bad ones. A common issue - people not maintaining a straight spine and cranking their neck during swings.

TGUs and variations on swings, DLs, squats, and presses is pretty fun. The main websites (RKC or StrongFirst) have links to various resources, among others mentioned here.

Not unique - but one routine I was taught was 10 one arm swings, 5 cleans, 5 presses, 5 squats, and finish with another 10 swings all with the same arm. Then move to the other side without putting the KB down. After completing both sides, short rest and go again. Depending on what the trainer had planned, we'd do these 3-5 sets of these before moving on to other stuff.
Old 24 March 2014, 10:36
Glorified Babysitter

I bought mine at Dick's. Paid $35 for a 20lb.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:14
Confirmed User

Check Amazon for solid cast iron bells; I don't like the vinyl coated ones as it just tears off over time if you're doing other things with them like rope drags, etc. I got a 55 pounder by TDS for under $50 bucks.
Old 24 March 2014, 11:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Pardon the necro Post. I bought mine at Dicks. They have up to 55 lbs, I bought a 35, 45, and a 55 lber.

Now, what to do with them??????
Hey TFG - I would recommend checking out one of the following sites: DragonDoor, StrongFirst or Steve Maxwell and investigate the books/DVDs/online resources. There are also search functions on these sites to find a local trainer if that is the route you want to go. As with any fitness craze there is already "religion" out there on this topic, just as an FYI.
Old 24 March 2014, 19:26
BTDT

I bought all of mine brand new at Play It Again Sports. Good prices on them there.
Old 24 March 2014, 19:54
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Hey TFG - I would recommend checking out one of the following sites: DragonDoor, StrongFirst or Steve Maxwell and investigate the books/DVDs/online resources. There are also search functions on these sites to find a local trainer if that is the route you want to go. As with any fitness craze there is already "religion" out there on this topic, just as an FYI.
I have read about strongFirst and think I saw some youtube about them. I will look the others up as well, thanks!

I paid too much I think as I paid about $2.20 a lb for mine.

I did a cool workout today, 40 seconds on 20 second rest, 4 sets of the following exercises:

KB Swings
snatches two sets each arm
Turkish get ups. 2 sets each side
Goblet squats
This thing i saw this really fine Russian chic doing where she stood up with a bell in her hand and then pass it behind her leg and around to the other hand, kind of a figure 8 standing and squatting on every exchange.......
Old 24 March 2014, 19:57
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy
This thing i saw this really fine Russian chic....
Hey, I can send you some links to a Russian exercise chick which will make you completely forget about those silly kettlebells....
Old 24 March 2014, 20:09
Confirmed User

Check out Fringe Sports. They offer free shipping and free returns if the gear doesn't work out. Very good customer service. The free shipping is for all their products.
Old 24 March 2014, 22:06
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Hey, I can send you some links to a Russian exercise chick which will make you completely forget about those silly kettlebells....
Here is my new best friend.
Old 25 March 2014, 08:54
Confirmed User

I still have Pavel's PDF, pm if anyone wants it. It's 150 pages or something.
Old 25 March 2014, 11:04
Doc McNasty

There are literally thousands of youtube vids for KB moves basic to advanced. I wouldn't pay shit for anyone's DVD anymore. I have some of Martone's, Pavel's, etc from the older days when the sport was more obscure.
As was already said, get a solid technique for: 2H swing, clean, press, squat and lunge. Add to that the KB incorporated into movements you already know well (flutter kicks, lunge walks, deads, etc). You can get it all free online.
Old 25 March 2014, 11:28
The Sagacious One

Youtube has a plethora of vids on the subject. I think its a matter of me watching and trying different things.

The standards so far, as you said are the swing, the goblet squat, snatches and presses.
Old 10 April 2014, 07:29
The Sagacious One

I have a bad case of spring fever, but cannot take the time to shoot and work out in the same afternoon. If any of you have ever watched or trained with Pat Mcnamara, He incorporates physical stress into his shooting drills.

Here is what I did yesterday....

Two V-Tac barricades 15m apart and 12m from 3 x 66% IPSC AR500 steel targets set up in an El prez type scenario.

Equipment: Kimber Gold Combat and 3 8rd mags, 45lb Kettle bell

Start timer:

Left barricade - 20 KB swings, draw and fire three rounds, one per target from behind the barricade. Holster, Run to right barricade.

Right barricade: 20 goblet squats, draw and fire three shots, 1 per target. (NOTE: if you miss, you keep shooting until each target is engaged.) Holster, Run back to left barricade. Repeat.

I added in some snatches at Barricade 1 after the first two rounds. The goal is to continue as long as possible until you run out of ammo, while engaging each set of 3 targets in less than 2 seconds.

Round 1: 427 seconds
reload mags
Round 2: 363 seconds
reload mags
Round 3: 287 seconds

In the words of Pat Mcnamara... :"Get You Some"

An El Pres variant from PM

Another similar drill
Old 10 April 2014, 07:30
Confirmed User

That's cool. ^
Old 10 April 2014, 07:51
Another pool cleaner

Very cool, TFG.

I'm still mesmerized by Zuzka.
Old 17 April 2014, 23:07
The Sagacious One

Here is my new gym.

Today,

Left - 30 KB swings three shots (small targets)
Right - 30 Goblet squats, three shots

Left - 15 Snatches each side three shots
Right - 30 Lunges.

Left - 15 clean and presses each side one shot each IPSC target (Big ones in the front)
right - 30 Prisoner squats, same shots as getting over.

I only did this twice as I had to do chores, my crew is gone to a horse show. Round one was 487 seconds and round 2 was 428 seconds. (I ran out of ammo as I dropped some shots)

Old 18 April 2014, 11:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Motivating video.

Well, decided to give her workout a try. So did 10 minutes on the Eliptical Trainer to warm up.

Then followed her on the kettle bell workout, using my 35 pound kettle bell. I was able to keep up with her, but my fat ass is totally smoked.

Great workout. Followed up with 10 minutes on the Eliptical.

Great 30 minute workout. Think I will for now, do this once a week on Weds. On Mon and Fridays do my normal dumbell workout.

She has a pretty good youtube clip on proper nutrition as well - that is spot on. Been changing what I eat to what she pretty much states over the lat several weeks, and not only loosing some needed weight, but more energy and feel great. Basically the Paleo plan is what she details, but for some reason she explains it better than I do.

Our new posting rules