Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20 December 2017, 14:07
Confirmed User

Using A Mobile Hotspot For Home Internet

I am just wondering if anybody here uses a mobile hotspot for home internet? I currently have DSL through Frontier. My speeds are usually about 25 Mbps down and less than 1 Mbps up. (To their credit, though, the speeds seem pretty consistent throughout the day and night.) I can't get cable in my area and I don't see satellite internet as a viable alternative for me.

I did buy an AT&T hotspot earlier this year and I got in on the $20.00 per month unlimited data deal. I just checked and it is 52 Mbps down and 7 Mbps up.

On it face, it seems like a no-brainer to switch. However, in the evening, it seems to slow down quite a bit and is slower than my DSL speed!

Anyway, for you techno-geeks here, would it be worthwhile to look at one of the other mobile carriers for home internet? The pessimist in me thinks that Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile are likely to all suffer from the same slow down in the evening.

Our new posting rules