Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 August 2017, 16:53
Researcher @ Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Amazing stories of survival.
I hope someday the Wasp,Hornet and Lexington are found.
I would imagine those are on the list, but that Mr. Allen will target the missing ships with more loss of life first.
Old 22 August 2017, 20:00
Darwin Award Presenter

I read a book about it, cannot recall the title, but didn't Captain commit suicide?
The reason I remember is that is how the book started.
Old 22 August 2017, 21:02
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
I read a book about it, cannot recall the title, but didn't Captain commit suicide?
The reason I remember is that is how the book started.
He did, in 1968.

The skipper of the Japanese submarine, Cmdr. Hashimoto, testified at Capt. McVay's Court Martial. Years later, in 1999, when surviving crew members were trying to get the guilty verdict overturned, Mr. Hashimoto wrote a letter on their behalf to the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee.. It said in part, "Our peoples have forgiven each other for that terrible war and its consequences. Perhaps it is time your peoples forgave Captain McVay for the humiliation of his unjust conviction."

The following year, Mr. Hashimoto died. Five days later, President Clinton signed a Congressional Resolution exonerating McVay.

Cmdr. Hashimoto's family had been killed in Hiroshima by the bomb delivered on the USS Indianapolis.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 23 August 2017, 13:18
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
He did, in 1968.

The skipper of the Japanese submarine, Cmdr. Hashimoto, testified at Capt. McVay's Court Martial. Years later, in 1999, when surviving crew members were trying to get the guilty verdict overturned, Mr. Hashimoto wrote a letter on their behalf to the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee.. It said in part, "Our peoples have forgiven each other for that terrible war and its consequences. Perhaps it is time your peoples forgave Captain McVay for the humiliation of his unjust conviction."

The following year, Mr. Hashimoto died. Five days later, President Clinton signed a Congressional Resolution exonerating McVay.

Cmdr. Hashimoto's family had been killed in Hiroshima by the bomb delivered on the USS Indianapolis.
The fact that the Navy called a (former) enemy combatant to testify on behalf of the prosecution at a court martial has always been mind-blowing to me. Having said that, I have always thought Cmdr Hashimoto was an honorable man based on his words and efforts on behalf of Capt McVay.

Didn't know that his family had been killed in Hiroshima. That level of objectivity, if that is even the right word, is...wow. Very impressive.
Old 23 August 2017, 14:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The Captain of that ship really got screwed, an example of the Navy having to nail somebody when something, even if nobody is at fault, goes horribly wrong.
In the US Navy? Shocked, I tell you...shocked!

I love it when they find lost ships and try to record some historical information, be it video, artifact recovery, whatever.

Awesome job.
Old 24 August 2017, 09:33
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
The fact that the Navy called a (former) enemy combatant to testify on behalf of the prosecution at a court martial has always been mind-blowing to me. Having said that, I have always thought Cmdr Hashimoto was an honorable man based on his words and efforts on behalf of Capt McVay.

Didn't know that his family had been killed in Hiroshima. That level of objectivity, if that is even the right word, is...wow. Very impressive.
Capt McVay retired as an Admiral. Cmdr Hashimoto stated that zig-zagging woud have made no difference in his attack run. He also helped the survivors to clear McVay's name.
Adm.McVay suffered many years from harassment from the families of his lost crew. He was found in his front yard dead from a gunshot wound holding a toy sailor.
Old 31 August 2017, 11:33
Been There Done That

Edgar Harrell http://www.theleafchronicle.com/stor...ell/616182001/

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 31 August 2017, 13:13
Pirate and Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
Here is a personal account of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.

Seventy-two years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sunk cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface.

Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and billionaire philanthropist, led a search team, assisted by historians from the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) in Washington, D.C., to accomplish what past searches had failed to do – find Indianapolis, considered the last great naval tragedy of World War II.

“Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
"Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.......farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain.......for we received orders for to sail back to Boston......and soon never more will we see you again."

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13 September 2017, 09:06
Problem Solver

Exclamation

PBS is taking viewers down to the wreckage in a one-hour documentary airing tonight, 13 Sep, at 2200 eastern:

http://www.pbs.org/uss-indianapolis/home/

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 13 September 2017, 09:54
Researcher @ Large

I wish his crew did a live internet stream the way they did on Musashi.
Old 13 September 2017, 22:29
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
PBS is taking viewers down to the wreckage in a one-hour documentary airing tonight, 13 Sep, at 2200 eastern:

http://www.pbs.org/uss-indianapolis/home/
Absolutely riveting, truly an impressive piece of television history and it is a live broadcast. If you miss it, you can probably catch it on the PBS web site or YT.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach

Our new posting rules