SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 10 April 2018, 23:36
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I was forced to ride my mountain bike to work for a few weeks last summer as my truck was getting fixed. I work nights, leave for work about 1800 or so. 12 miles or so round trip , one major game crossing in a big depression along the route. I loved the ride, but it got to be too dangerous through the depression, when I am hauling ass, to confront a deer or a raccoon, etc. I am too daggum old to be flying over handle bars!
Try it with a coyote pacing you, then dodging across your path at 0430.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 11 April 2018, 05:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Try it with a coyote pacing you, then dodging across your path at 0430.
Gotta wonder if there were others lurking, waiting to see if you'd go down. And how you'd taste...
Still, I'll take coy-dogs versus running/biking in cat country anyday. Those stories are hair-raising.

DaveP
Old 24 July 2018, 18:53
One jump chump

The Trek fuel was getting dated so I decided to treat myself to an upgrade. Just received an Evil The Following... Still dialing in the suspension and tire pressure, but so far I’m Digging it. Wrench Science was a few weeks late getting my order so they upgraded the the wheel set to Tubless carbon E*thirteens. Can’t bitch about that...

ďAn elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.Ē
Old 25 July 2018, 02:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37F5V View Post
The Trek fuel was getting dated so I decided to treat myself to an upgrade. Just received an Evil The Following... Still dialing in the suspension and tire pressure, but so far Iím Digging it. Wrench Science was a few weeks late getting my order so they upgraded the the wheel set to Tubless carbon E*thirteens. Canít bitch about that...
THAT is an awesome bike!!
Old 25 July 2018, 07:38
BTDT

I have a MB, but never got further than the "hey, a new toy" phase. It's a mail getter now. When I bought, I did some research and found out (true as far as I found, but not 100%) that just like a lot of SCUBA (and other) stuff - the MB industry has a few major OEMs that make stuff, and then private label it for the various "Big Names". Frames were the primary one. I went with 'Bikes Direct' and got a 29'er with as many goodies as my budget ceiling allowed. If you just want to dip your toe, check them out - the "tech" is usually a year or two behind 'state of the art' from what I found, but if you don't really "need" SotA, you can save a ton.

Here are the 29er's"

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29er_bikes.htm

Comes in a box, mostly assembled, minor assy required.
Old 2 August 2018, 10:04
Puttin' on the foil

I bought a mountain bike back in 2016 and rode it a few times on some local trails and put it away as I just didn't have the time to ride. A buddy and I decided to enter a 24 hour mtb race and even then I couldn't get into it. We rode some trails to "train" but we didn't really commit and we ended up in 3rd place out of 3 with something like a 12 lap gap between us and second place. A terrible showing.

I couldn't let it go how poor we did and decided that I would enter as a solo rider and do a proper train up for it this time. Once again the proper train up didn't happen because real life happened with kids activities, side gig work, my wife's schedule. Excuses right?

I ride a "shitty" bike compared to those that entered this race. Just about everyone was riding carbon fiber framed 29er's with clipless pedals and mucho dinero into bike lights and headlamps. I when I bought my bike it was the previous years model, on clearance and it as rode it stock as the day I bought it. It's a Specialized Pitch Comp 650b

Each lap was 7.8 miles long and looking at the 2017 winner for solo male 17-39 age category I figured I would just have to ride the whole time with no breaks. I did make myself a nice comfy bed in the back of my car in case I needed some rest but I ended up riding for 18 hours total and won my category. Next year I'll have to enter 40+ age group but I'm happy with the results and while everyone slept, I rode through the night instead of resting.

Heading out that morning at 0800, the race started at 1200hrs.

"Base camp"

Getting dark and had to turn on my $20 Amazon light.

Last edited by EightyDeuce; 2 August 2018 at 10:25.
Old 2 August 2018, 10:06
Puttin' on the foil

Not a bad light for $20

Crushed those youngbloods

https://www.bikereg.com/results/rr/1...he-hardcore-24

It was a great experience and while I have some raw spots from the bike seat, I'm already planning on racing again next year, hopefully with a better train up and to improve my overall fitness.

Last edited by EightyDeuce; 2 August 2018 at 10:30.
Old 2 August 2018, 10:21
Confirmed User

^That's awesome!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 2 August 2018, 12:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
..this hardcore post
^^ hardcore!
Old 2 August 2018, 20:46
Confirmed User

Thatís awesome EightyDeuce. Iíve done some 8 hour rides, I couldnít imagine 18.
Old 12 August 2018, 22:35
Confirmed User

Iím starting to see some e-mountain bikes on the trails around Nashville. Isnít that cheating?
Old 13 August 2018, 00:10
Been There Done That

Eightydeuce, that's seriously impressive!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 13 August 2018, 09:08
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
^^ hardcore!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Thatís awesome EightyDeuce. Iíve done some 8 hour rides, I couldnít imagine 18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Iím starting to see some e-mountain bikes on the trails around Nashville. Isnít that cheating?
If you're not cheating, you're not trying. I would have loved an e-bike once the moon came out and I realized I still had all night to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Eightydeuce, that's seriously impressive!
The overall desire to do this again came from me staring down the barrel of 40 years old in January. I'm not dreading 40 like some do but it was more of the "I can hang with these guys" thoughts. I'm not a mountain biker by any definition of the title, I'm still a bit overweight but have been losing since January of this year. I've been rowing the hell out of my concept 2 rower at home days a week to shed some weight and just wanted to test myself. I figured that if I actually stopped and went to sleep it would be damn near impossible to get back on the bike so I just kept riding.

Surprisingly the 40+ male solo category has more competitors than the 17-39 group. I'm already thinking about giving it another shot in 2019.
Old 13 August 2018, 18:01
One jump chump

Good on you, man. Riding an event like that is no joke. I raced a season on my road bike a few years back and had a blast. Quite challenging for a newbie in his 40ís. FYI age is not a discrimator when it comes to cycling... Iíve had my ass handed to me on road and mountain bike by dudes in their 60ís. You know, the old CAT 1ís who are retired and have nothing to do but train.

Old 14 August 2018, 12:08
Aww F**K it

That is impressive Eightydeuce!
I am planning on riding the Mah Da Hey next year. As long as work schedules allow.
http://www.experienceland.org/maah-daah-hey-100/

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 14 August 2018, 14:45
One jump chump

13,000ft of climbing! Ouch! Say hello to Tinker Juarez...

Old 14 August 2018, 17:19
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
That is impressive Eightydeuce!
I am planning on riding the Mah Da Hey next year. As long as work schedules allow.
http://www.experienceland.org/maah-daah-hey-100/
That looks incredible. What are you riding? (I ride a POS comparatively so I'm always interested in what a good bike is)
Old 15 August 2018, 04:54
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37F5V View Post
Just received an Evil The Following...
Nice bike! I've been daydreaming about the Wreckoning or a SC Nomad. Never heard of Evil before a couple months ago but they are nasty lookin bikes. Pics or it didn't happen

EightyDeuce, congrats on the ride. That's awesome!

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 15 August 2018, 09:44
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
That looks incredible. What are you riding? (I ride a POS comparatively so I'm always interested in what a good bike is)
My ride isn't sexy or anything but it gets me around. I have a Specialized Camber FSR.
In fact, one of the two pictures I have up in my office is a picture of my bike. My wife gave me a what the hell look when I had a picture of my bike printed out. When I told her I was hanging it in my office, she rolled her eyes knowing I wasn't putting up any pics of the family.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 15 August 2018, 11:23
One jump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Nice bike! I've been daydreaming about the Wreckoning or a SC Nomad. Never heard of Evil before a couple months ago but they are nasty lookin bikes. Pics or it didn't happen

EightyDeuce, congrats on the ride. That's awesome!
Here you go...

Evil.jpg

Our new posting rules