SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 8 April 2018, 11:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
Recently my veteran nephew decided he had enough with PTSD and opioid addiction and jumped off a high-rise building to end his suffering. I was at work when my sister called me, she was screaming hysterically saying her son sent her a cryptic text and Tampa PD just left the house after notifying her of his suicide. I immediately got nauseas. I had never known anyone personally who committed suicide and that day brought many emotions and left my family asking questions we will never get the answers to. Sadness and ANGER chief among mine. How did we miss this, where there signs, how could we fail him like this? If we knew could we have saved him? Why did he hide it?...what did his close friends know? etc...etc....etc.
I'm sorry for your loss Five-O, your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 8 April 2018, 13:15
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwood914 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss Five-O, your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Amen.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 8 April 2018, 13:23
Never to old to learn

Many years ago I was home on leave for Christmas & New Years, an old High School buddy & his wife set me up with a date. After midnight we left an I was suppose to take the lady home, well I did, not that I didn't try to stay the night with her. It was good night at the door.

I spotted an LEO I knew, I got him to pull over so we talk about old time.

Any way we had started to talk about old time when he got a call.

I went with him. As we got to the address, several other LEO's were there. An older couple had gone out for New Years.

The wife went to Bed fell a sleep. Sometime later she got up to find he husband dead in the front room. He had used 1911 .45 to kill himself. Stuck the barrel in his mouth an pulled the trigger.

As the LOE's knew me they asked me to take the lady to some friends house. I took her in a police car. I will never for get it.
Old 8 April 2018, 14:13
Confirmed User

I have posted this before on SOCNET but would like to do so again.

I am an addict in recovery that has managed to put together several years clean/sober. Anyone who may be struggling with their own addiction should feel free to contact me via PM/phone call. I am more then willing to share my experience with getting and staying clean/sober.

In addition, my mother is a CASAC (Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor) and is willing to help anyone free of charge.
Old 9 April 2018, 02:42
Been There Done That

I was good friends with a tabbed Marine in Dahlonega. He was a liaison for all Marrines going through Ranger School in the Mountains. He was the only Marine on camp and we made quick friends. So did our families. We hung out together, hunted and he was highly qualified in all areas of Ranger Training plus all the shit he done in the Corp prior to this assignment.

I have a picture of him and his family on my wall to this day. I lost track of him many years ago, then outta the blue got a call from another RI that I knew then. He killed himself several years ago. There were warning signs and maybe he was reaching out for help, I don't know. But I lost a good friend.

RIP Gunny Turner

IF YOU NEED TO TALK PM ME OR SOMEONE YOU THINK YOU MAY FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 9 April 2018, 09:42
Confirmed User

As you can see from my membership here, I don’t post much but felt I needed to be here for a loved one. The time has apparently arrived for our family.
After multiple deployments to Afghanistan we are dealing with TBI/PTSD. Prozac was prescribed for depression which make for a manic situation. We are in the throws of a bad ride...
I think this thread is why I have been hanging out here. Thanks

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 9 April 2018, 10:30
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy0834 View Post
As you can see from my membership here, I don’t post much but felt I needed to be here for a loved one. The time has apparently arrived for our family.
After multiple deployments to Afghanistan we are dealing with TBI/PTSD. Prozac was prescribed for depression which make for a manic situation. We are in the throws of a bad ride...
Best of luck in a bad situation.
Old 9 April 2018, 10:52
Administrator

Quote:

That's why we are here. Post all you want, and good on you for recognizing it and actively trying to address the issues.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 April 2018, 10:55
Just A "Less Than"

One of the worst things about PTSD and/or depression is that you feel you are all alone and the only one suffering. It simply isn't true. If you are dealing with one, the other, or both -- trust me, you are among more than you know.

Post away, Brothers and Sisters! Our collective shoulders are strong enough to hold you up when needed. After all, we all need help at one time or the other....
Old 10 April 2018, 02:04
Anesthetized User

While I am not in crisis, I am trying to manage a few things. These have been there since I was a child born in the late '60's. Only now do I know for sure what I am dealing with as a 50 year old.

More than a few reached out when I was first working on all of this of their own accord.

Please reach out to ANYONE you trust or anyone that you feel can help if you are in crisis.

Do not stop. Never quit.

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?p=1...post1058716363

For more than a few years we lost Paramedics by their own hand, GSW's were common. I posted in the things you hate thread about and ED Doc I was close to that killed herself. These things are tough. But, I and others are happy to help.

Reach out.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)

Last edited by Expatmedic; 10 April 2018 at 02:11.
Old 10 April 2018, 02:19
Anesthetized User

As an Italian American I was baptized Roman Catholic but detest organize religion and never went to church after the age of 10, however I find this poem profound, and it still "gets me" to read it.

Footprints In The Sand

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed
he was walking along the beach with the LORD.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to him, and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there was only one set of footprints.

He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:

Lord, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed you most you would leave me."

The Lord replied:

My son, my precious child,
I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you.

Old 10 April 2018, 05:23
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Please take a look at his site. Medication is one treatment and there are innumerable different medications...one may not work where another will. However, you may find that medication is not the answer...read through this site, it may prove useful to you. And yeah, you are not alone.

http://waftbi.org/
waftbi.org/about-andrew-marr/
https://www.youtube dot com/watch?v=wO7iop_b-bw
https://www.youtube dot com/watch?v=DCeUC479Jks
https://www.youtube dot com/watch?v=yfPjocOFh_Y

(Admins, I know some of the links posted are hosted by the evil anti gunners, but the material is hosted there and the information may be helpful to those who need it.)
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 10 April 2018, 09:50
Confirmed User

Thanks for the input... yes, the footprints poem has always been a favorite.
We are headed to Virginia to be of any help and reassure the family of our commitment.

The following writing has always been a favorite... especially since grandchildren arrived.

The Bridge Builder

by Will Allen Dromgoole (1860-1934)
An old man, going a lone highway,
Came at the evening cold and gray
To a chasm vast and deep and wide
Through which was flowing a swollen tide.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim;
The rapids held no fears for him.
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

“Old man,” cried a fellow pilgrim near,
“You’re wasting your time in building here.
Your journey will end with the closing day;
You never again will pass this way.
You have crossed the chasm deep and wide;
Why build you this bridge at even-tide?”

The builder lifted his old gray head.
“Good friend, in the path I have come,” he said,
“There follows after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This stream, which has been as naught to me,
To that fair youth may a pitfall be.
He too must cross in the twilight dim —
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him.

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 10 April 2018, 10:08
Confirmed User

I think it might be fair to also recognize those who do reach out to others in need of help and for those people who have tragic personal loss in their lives from loved ones and friends who have taken their own lives, despite all out efforts to prevent them from doing so. The ones left behind and the ones who gave their all to prevent it, shouldn't feel the guilt of not being able to stop or control the actions of another individual who made the ultimate decision for themselves.

Sadly, when someone has 100% made up their own mind to take their own life, there is nothing that can be done or said to stop them from doing so. We should not give up on them but sometimes people are going to do what they want to do and nothing will stop them. My family has experienced this as many others have as well. Sad for everyone involved.
Old 10 April 2018, 22:12
The Sagacious One

As I have said many times before. We need to give each other permission to heal and we need to go to the wounded. Waiting for someone in this mental state to ask for help is like telling someone that has been shot to low crawl to the aid station. Its a flawed tactic.
Old 11 April 2018, 01:12
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
As I have said many times before. We need to give each other permission to heal and we need to go to the wounded. Waiting for someone in this mental state to ask for help is like telling someone that has been shot to low crawl to the aid station. Its a flawed tactic.
PM sent

Old 21 April 2018, 13:39
Confirmed User

If possible pick up the signs before someone gets too deep into that mental state and shuts themselves off. Try not to let it get that far. I think that is a stage in which they want someone to listen, hear them.
Old 23 April 2018, 12:58
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I don't know whether Sgt. Stube is a member here or not, but he wrote an article for Fox that seems to reflect some of the ideas found in this thread:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/04/22/green-beret-left-is-wrong-am-warrior-not-victim.html

The best excerpt in my opinion:

A first clue had come when my father, a career soldier who also had to overcome horrible wounds, visited me in the hospital and told me, “Son, remember when I told you that if you want sympathy you’ll find it in the dictionary between ‘sh%@ and syphilis?’”

I nodded and tried to smile.

“Here’s something else,” said my father. “I need you to know now that sympathy may pay well in the short term, but if you cash in on sympathy it will take everything from you in the long run.”

This led me to the realization that it’s a mistake to define a soldier wounded in war as a “wounded warrior.”

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 11 June 2018, 22:54
Been There Done That

Bump. Because this thread deserves it.
Old 16 June 2018, 09:53
0311/8651

My dad,WW2,10% disability,made 2 invasions of the European continent.Me, Vietnam. We talked a little about his time. He knew about mine since it was my war. 4 in my immediate family all fought. I’m 69 now, he is gone.i just try to take each day with ease.

Our new posting rules