SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Snipers

Old 23 April 2018, 20:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
This is a book review I recently had published with Snipercraft on Brandon Webb's book on sniping & sniper training, The Killing School.

This is another one of those books on sniping that would have to improve in order to just suck.
John, great damn review and very well wrtten. Please don't read any of my novels...
Old 1 May 2018, 06:40
Been There Done That

In light of all the encouragement here I posted a modified version of my review on the Amazon page for this book.

If you'd like stop by and upvote me to counterbalance all the Webb supporters and sniper wannabes that I'm sure will want to complain about attacks on their "hero".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 May 2018, 06:58
Shakin' the bush Boss

Well done. Lays out the facts quite well without any personal attacks, which I'm sure was challenging. For those of us that take the craft seriously having somebody with all the right creds spewing inaccurate bullshit is quite irritating.
Old 1 May 2018, 11:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Well done. Lays out the facts quite well without any personal attacks, which I'm sure was challenging. For those of us that take the craft seriously having somebody with all the right creds spewing inaccurate bullshit is quite irritating.

Thanks. The saddest thing for me is that he somehow got Marine sniper and MOH holder Dakota Meyer to endorse this piece of trash book. I halfway expected Dick Marcinko to show his ass endorsing this book (and he sure did).

“Profound … As you read all the real-life accounts in this book you’ll find they feel so honest and read so well it is hard to put the book down. The Killing School is a bright window into the shadowy world of our elite snipers.” — Forbes

“This deep, gripping book provides a comprehensive look at what it takes to be and train a SEAL sniper.” — The Shooting Wire

“Delivers a training-of-elite-forces narrative in full—and much more. The Killing School goes into gripping detail about the training needed to create a master sniper.” — The Australian

“Calling The Killing School a ‘war book’ is like saying Philip Caputo’s A Rumor of War is only about Vietnam, or that William Manchester’s Goodbye, Darkness is only a WWII memoir. The Killing School takes us deep into SEAL sniper training; it introduces us to the people who do these things for us; and it exposes the often-unreported realities of the battlefield. Most of all, it gives even those of us who haven’t served a deep look into what American warriors do.” — “If You Liked American Sniper, You’ll Love The Killing School,” America’s First Freedom

“Sure to scare the hell out of any terrorist in line for a well-placed sniper shot. The Killing School is a gritty behind-the-scenes look at what makes the modern sniper so lethally effective in combat.” ― Dick Marcinko, founder and first commanding officer of SEAL Team 6, author of the bestselling Rogue Warrior series

The Killing School reads like a screenplay for the most cinematic military adventure flick you’ve ever seen—except that every word of it is true. Brandon Webb is the real deal, and so are the four Spec Ops snipers whose exploits he traces with pulse-pounding detail.” — Kris “Tanto” Paronto, former Army Ranger, GRS operator, and coauthor of the New York Times bestseller 13 Hours

“Very few people on this earth know what it’s like to sight through a scope, pull a trigger and in the line of duty, stop another human being’s beating heart. Read The Killing School. Then you’ll know.” — Clint Emerson, formerly of SEAL Team Six and NSA, bestselling author of 100 Deadly Skills

“There were many reasons Chris Kyle (American Sniper) became the deadliest sniper in U.S. military history. Brandon Webb’s contribution to the SEAL sniper course—their killing school—was a key factor in Chris’s journey.” — Scott McEwen, #1 New York Times bestselling coauthor of American Sniper and American Commander

“An important piece of Naval Special Warfare history—and one hell of a gripping read!” — Dakota Meyer, former USMC Scout Sniper, Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, New York Times bestselling author of Into the Fire

Reviews taken from:
http://johndavidmann.com/books/killing-school/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 May 2018, 11:47
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Kris “Tanto” Paronto, former Army Ranger, GRS operator
Does it have a chapter on how HD Special Ops Vision sunglasses are the eyewear of choice for elite spy killing school ninjas? You just can't run a counterinsurgency without them.

The problem with sniper books is that if you just tell it how it really is it's WAY too boring for the casual reader. Everybody's gotta Hollywood it up till it's an unrecognizable mess of horseshit.
Old 1 May 2018, 11:50
Been There Done That

One thing I learned in my limited exposure to publishing is that a lot of the endorsements are written by the author, then attributed to someone. Chances are most of these endorsements were not written by the people who put their names to it, shameful as it is.

Then there's the money aspect of endorsement.

His book is garbage. Thanks for the review, John. I upvoted it on Amazon.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 May 2018, 11:54
Administrator

Quote:
Does it have a chapter on how HD Special Ops Vision sunglasses are the eyewear of choice for elite spy killing school ninjas?
Beat me to it.

He's got a book, too: https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Way-Li...CT38G6Y1AXWYBZ

For the love of God....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 1 May 2018, 13:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
The problem with sniper books is that if you just tell it how it really is it's WAY too boring for the casual reader. Everybody's gotta Hollywood it up till it's an unrecognizable mess of horseshit.
You got that right, just like the training. When I was working at SOTIC and VIPs came by it'd always be something like a stalking exercise where you're watching an empty field. Then I'd contrast that to the demos at Mott Lake (later Range 39) with flash bangs going off, targets getting hit by live fire and the assaulters following Australian Protocol; "Michaels you cover him! Johnson you bugger him!"

We came this close (imagine fingers held very close together) from just setting up an OP at an empty field and telling the visitors we had a whole class out there on a stalking exercise.

Old 1 May 2018, 13:35
Administrator

Quote:
You got that right, just like the training.

Gsniper had a special ability to be able to sleep off a hangover while appearing to be on the binos observing.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 1 May 2018, 13:43
Shakin' the bush Boss

That's a fucking skill on par with a superpower. Alas, it doesn't sell books.
Old 1 May 2018, 16:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

His book is garbage. Thanks for the review, John. I up-voted it on Amazon.
Thanks! Also because of yours and others help now mine is the first review listed as "most helpful".

It's only a matter of time before Webb checks into the comment section.

Old 2 May 2018, 14:35
Bitter old man.

Gave you helpful Mr.Simpson.
Old 2 May 2018, 18:43
BTDT

Rated your review as helpful
Old 2 May 2018, 19:29
Confirmed User

Rated as helpful.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 2 May 2018, 23:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Gave you helpful Mr.Simpson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
Rated your review as helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Rated as helpful.
Thanks guys. I saw that my review is up to 26 helpful votes making it not only the most popular critical review but the most popular review on the page.

Last edited by John Simpson; 3 May 2018 at 00:06. Reason: Left out a quote
Old 3 May 2018, 00:05
Been There Done That

Books like this really bring out the posers and wannabes. Read this review by some d-bag calls himself Toe Tag:

As a trainer and training junkie; the technical material covered in this book is astonishing. If you know something about firearms and marksmanship it does not get much better. Frankly, it gets a little overwhelming sometimes. I admit it. I am a marksmanship slob and snob. I always work to improve what I do…but greatly admire the near total near mastery of the art of the rifle these men have.

I commented on his review telling him he doesn't know as much about firearms as he thinks he does. I thought the technical material was astonishing as well. I'm astonished that any Navy SEAL Sniper (and Instructor) could be so fucked up on technical details.

Old 4 May 2018, 12:02
Army SF

Very well written review of a poorly written book. Good job, sir.
Old 7 May 2018, 11:23
Been There Done That

Proeliator 37 Thanks to you and everyone else my review is now at 36 upvotes and is the most popular review on the page.

Last edited by John Simpson; 7 May 2018 at 11:31.
Old 3 June 2018, 09:55
Been There Done That

Just wanted to share that since my review on April 30th no one else has left a review. Hope this means no one is buying this nonsense anymore.

Old 3 June 2018, 10:05
"One shot"...you know the rest..

Quote:
Just wanted to share that since my review on April 30th no one else has left a review. Hope this means no one is buying this nonsense anymore.
Maybe its been reclassified as "fiction".

Our new posting rules