SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 7 November 2017, 15:36
Moving Target

Need advice

I need some advice. I just got off the phone with my lawyer who is doing my VA claims. I have a claim for Gulf War Syndrome, IBS and Fibromyagia. I was told by VA doctors just a few months ago that I had Fibro and was put on medicine, I currently talking Cymbalta and I also was told that I had IBS but I just talked to my lawyer and she cant find the dianogsis on my current records. I had a suspicion that the VA doctors would not record it even though they told me I had it. Im too angry to talk to my VA doctors right now because I know I will cuss them out, for sure. I am pretty sure I will file IG complaints against both doctors but what if that dosent help, its never helped before. I guess I need to save up my money and try to see a private doctor. Im so sick of the fucking VA doctors.
Old 7 November 2017, 15:49
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I need some advice. I just got off the phone with my lawyer who is doing my VA claims. I have a claim for Gulf War Syndrome, IBS and Fibromyagia. I was told by VA doctors just a few months ago that I had Fibro and was put on medicine, I currently talking Cymbalta and I also was told that I had IBS but I just talked to my lawyer and she cant find the dianogsis on my current records. I had a suspicion that the VA doctors would not record it even though they told me I had it. Im too angry to talk to my VA doctors right now because I know I will cuss them out, for sure. I am pretty sure I will file IG complaints against both doctors but what if that dosent help, its never helped before. I guess I need to save up my money and try to see a private doctor. Im so sick of the fucking VA doctors.
Have you contacted any of the Veteran Service Organization i.e. VFW, AmVets, Legion, etc. to talk to their VA assistance folks? It is free of charge and it's for all vets, you do not have to be a member. They have some pretty knowledgable folks there. I would at least put them in touch with your lawyer if you haven't already. I am dealing with the VFW VSO for my stuff, and just helped a friend with his dad's stuff after he passed away a couple of weeks ago. Some of the stuff we talked about for his dad was very similar to what you're dealing with now and the VFW guy is all over it.
Old 7 November 2017, 17:04
Moving Target

OK Ill call the VFW tomorrow. Thanks I have calmed down now. you cant get mad everytime the enemy does something, stay calm and be wise.
Old 7 November 2017, 17:15
Red Headed Stepchild

It would take a better man than I not to get pissed off when dealing with the VA.
Old 7 November 2017, 17:19
Authorized Personnel

Also have the lawyer/VSO search your records for a negative results of IBS. If you claimed it and they did an exam, there should be the results of the exam even if it is a negative results. Might want to check to see if by chance the Dr said you have a IBS like contention but not named IBS.

It happens and it’s called an “insufficient” exam. The rater should see it and ask to clarify the exam results or you will be called in for another exam. Do you remember the docs name?

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 7 November 2017, 17:27
Moving Target

Can VA doctors get in trouble for lying to a veteran.
Old 7 November 2017, 17:29
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Also have the lawyer/VSO search your records for a negative results of IBS. If you claimed it and they did an exam, there should be the results of the exam even if it is a negative results. Might want to check to see if by chance the Dr said you have a IBS like contention but not named IBS.

It happens and it’s called an “insufficient” exam. The rater should see it and ask to clarify the exam results or you will be called in for another exam. Do you remember the docs name?
yes I remeber there names , its on my medicine bottles.
Old 7 November 2017, 19:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
First of all, follow your lawyer's advice. Keep the faith. You might ask your lawyer if you should go into the VA's FOIA coordinator and ask for a copy of your treatment record/patient notes for the date they diagnosed your Fibromyagia and prescribed the meds? Seems to me, that if they did, you got what you need? If not, your lawyer may want to think about filing a complaint with the VA "Doctors" state licensing board? I find that most VA medical providers are loathe to have their actions reviewed by outsiders. The VA system is rigged and protects those who "hang out" in the VA. Good luck.
Old 7 November 2017, 20:25
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
First of all, follow your lawyer's advice. Keep the faith. You might ask your lawyer if you should go into the VA's FOIA coordinator and ask for a copy of your treatment record/patient notes for the date they diagnosed your Fibromyagia and prescribed the meds? Seems to me, that if they did, you got what you need? If not, your lawyer may want to think about filing a complaint with the VA "Doctors" state licensing board? I find that most VA medical providers are loathe to have their actions reviewed by outsiders. The VA system is rigged and protects those who "hang out" in the VA. Good luck.
You Need to go to Release of Information an Request a copy of all your records.

Just a question why did you hire a lawyer??

Gulf War Problems.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/expo...ed-illness.asp

Last edited by wildman43; 7 November 2017 at 20:33. Reason: wording
Old 7 November 2017, 20:40
Been There Done That

I might of missed this but were you diagnosed with any of these conditions while you were still in the military? If so use these documents to appeal your denial.
Old 7 November 2017, 23:12
Been There Done That

Treat it as a military mission. Don't loose your temper, but curb it and use it.
Old 8 November 2017, 10:53
Confirmed User

I have sent two FOIA requests and the reply to the first was dismal while I received nothing for the second.

I have gotten so angry that my HH6 does all the talking with me listening/stewing.

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 8 November 2017, 11:18
Moving Target

my Lawyer has all the records from the dates I was told I had fibro and IBS, nothing on the records.
Old 8 November 2017, 12:35
Moving Target

I have decided to go to a private doctor. I found a urgent care doctor that I can afford.
Old 8 November 2017, 12:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I have decided to go to a private doctor. I found a urgent care doctor that I can afford.
IMO a good call. After over 40 years of having VA care (or not care), I'm switching over to the private side. VA care is/can be frustrating as hell, as the incentive to do well is often just not there.
Old 8 November 2017, 17:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
my Lawyer has all the records from the dates I was told I had fibro and IBS, nothing on the records.
You still got the bottles from the VA your Rx was in? if so, pull up a physician's desk reference (PDR) and tie the name of the meds to your diagnosis. Something ain't right and if the VA prescribed meds for the condition w/o putting the Dx in you patient notes, you got the basis to start the investigation and then use the result to substantiate your claim, just sayin'.

If you have paid the lawyer, you might suggest you want him to do this on your behalf?
Old 8 November 2017, 18:12
Moving Target

Quote:
You still got the bottles from the VA your Rx was in? if so, pull up a physician's desk reference (PDR) and tie the name of the meds to your diagnosis. Something ain't right and if the VA prescribed meds for the condition w/o putting the Dx in you patient notes, you got the basis to start the investigation and then use the result to substantiate your claim, just sayin'.

If you have paid the lawyer, you might suggest you want him to do this on your behalf?
would I complain the the VA IG?
Old 8 November 2017, 18:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
would I complain the the VA IG?
Suggest you discuss with your attorney. IMHO, your attorney could contact the chief clinician at the VA facility, display a copy of the Rx bottle label, and with a HIPPA release from you, ask for a copy of the underlying notes. If the notes are lost (all too frequent in the VA), ask for them to be reconstructed. If in fact he has the bottle with your name, the drug, and the VA's data - that should open the door. But please, since you have a lawyer, ask your lawyer to represent you and contact them.
Old 8 November 2017, 18:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post

I have had a couple of experiences over the years where the Compensation and Pension exam results have been forwarded to the Regional Office processing the claim (nowadays, God only knows which one) and the C&P somehow was never sent over to Veterans Health Admin for incorporation into the patient med records - VHA and Vet Benefit Admin are two heads of the beast.

So, just because a record doesn't exist on one side of the monster doesn't mean it hasn't been filed over at the other. Dealing with the VA just sux. You got to dig and never, ever give up.
Old 8 November 2017, 19:04
Moving Target

ok Ill call my Lawyer in the morning and see what she is willing to do.
Thanks

Quote:
I have had a couple of experiences over the years where the Compensation and Pension exam results have been forwarded to the Regional Office processing the claim (nowadays, God only knows which one) and the C&P somehow was never sent over to Veterans Health Admin for incorporation into the patient med records - VHA and Vet Benefit Admin are two heads of the beast.

So, just because a record doesn't exist on one side of the monster doesn't mean it hasn't been filed over at the other. Dealing with the VA just sux. You got to dig and never, ever give up.

Our new posting rules