SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 25 January 2018, 19:16
Confirmed User

Lost Medical Records

Any ideas on tracking lost medical records down after 20+ years?

St Louis and the VA both say they haven't been able to find them.

I did manage to get some records from a couple of the hospitals I was in, but that's all.
Old 25 January 2018, 19:55
Unemployed Stunt Double

1. How hard did St Louis and the VA look? How did you request the records from them (online, in-person, by mail, etc), and how did they respond?

2. Is there a specific injury or incident you are trying to find?
Old 25 January 2018, 20:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
1. How hard did St Louis and the VA look? How did you request the records from them (online, in-person, by mail, etc), and how did they respond?

2. Is there a specific injury or incident you are trying to find?
The VA couldn't find them when they were processing my claim, not sure how hard they looked. Luckily I had some bits and pieces ( I should have made a complete copy, but that was a long time ago)

I have previously requested the records from the VA and St Louis, along with what Walter Reed had and the hospital at Ft Lee.

I'm not looking for a specific injury or incident, I want to have them for background on my continuing treatment for cardiomyopathy that happened at rigger school.
Old 25 January 2018, 21:29
Unemployed Stunt Double

Depending on how bad you want them, may be worth a visit (in person) to St. Louis. You are young enough that your records are "non-archival," so that is an option.

You can also try a National Archive search (instead of a VA or St. Louis search).

I am assuming this is in support of a claim, correct? There are other ways to skin that cat (although I am not an expert or even close to an expert).
Old 25 January 2018, 22:40
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
The VA couldn't find them when they were processing my claim, not sure how hard they looked. Luckily I had some bits and pieces ( I should have made a complete copy, but that was a long time ago)

I have previously requested the records from the VA and St Louis, along with what Walter Reed had and the hospital at Ft Lee.

I'm not looking for a specific injury or incident, I want to have them for background on my continuing treatment for cardiomyopathy that happened at rigger school.
There has been a lot of changes as to where to request records now. I PM you, I will try an get all the address where to request records as I will be working at the V.A. Friday.
Old 25 January 2018, 23:30
Confirmed User

Thanks Gavin and Wildman
Old 27 January 2018, 12:43
Been There Done That

Wildman,

Could you please PM me the information also. My bud is in a world of hurt and has no med records.
Old 27 January 2018, 13:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1 View Post
Wildman,

Could you please PM me the information also. My bud is in a world of hurt and has no med records.
I'd suggest contacting any hospital he was treated at directly and see what they may have. I was able to get some records this way.

I still want to find my complete file though.
Old 27 January 2018, 14:57
As Above So Below

Quote:

There is something called a case file that the rigger school itself would have kept. My lawyer requested it and it had medical records I was missing. Not sure how to request one.
Old 27 January 2018, 15:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea View Post
There is something called a case file that the rigger school itself would have kept. My lawyer requested it and it had medical records I was missing. Not sure how to request one.
That would help, when were you at rigger school?
Old 27 January 2018, 15:16
Never to old to learn

Angry

Quote:
Wildman,

The V.A. replaced all the computers an my new computer an I lost all my personal files, I am in the process of retrieving them an a lot of other individuals in the office

I am trying to find a copy of the list.
Old 28 January 2018, 06:46
Moving Target

I had my records taken by feds after Desert Storm, they came to my S1 shop and took all my records and never brought them back.I dont know what to tell you there.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:46
As Above So Below

Quote:
That would help, when were you at rigger school?
I was never at rigger school. But, if it is a service school then they would have to have records if they treated you. Have you tried to contact them?
Old 28 January 2018, 10:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea View Post
I was never at rigger school. But, if it is a service school then they would have to have records if they treated you. Have you tried to contact them?
No, I hadn't even thought of them having anything other then the memo I had in my 201 file recycling me back a class because of the time I missed while I was in the hospital.

Thanks
Old 28 January 2018, 13:52
Never to old to learn

Red face

Quote:
Wildman,

JP1 I am sorry I can't find the address's where to mail them for each branch I have gone thru all my files an my back up files, on my home computer, I am starting to look thru other paper files. At one time I through I had posted the information to the site here. but no luck. I am waiting for a reply from a couple of individuals.
Old 28 January 2018, 15:46
Been There Done That

When I got out they kept sending mine to lake City Florida. When I ask why they told me that is where I entered, exited or was stationed. I told them No, none of the above! It seemed to be the district VAMC for my location. The local VAMC ended up tracking them down. Sad part was, after my C&P they sent them right back to there. Next time I went in they had to request my records from them again.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 28 January 2018, 16:15
BTDT

In October of 1992, the Army changed how they archive active duty medical records. The other servies were a bit slower to follow suit but by the end of FY-94 all of the services changed to the current system. Prior to these dates medical records were contained as part of the overall service record. If you left service after that time period, medical records are going to be a little harder to track down if they have become "lost"

Not to sound like a broken record but, try sifting through the digital help line until you are able to talk to a human being for help -1-800-827-1000 is a VA help line number that can get you started (if you havent already tried that number)

There is a record "somewhere" since everyhting has been digital for years, nothing is ever "lost" unless the data was somehow deleted from the system along with all possible dgital backup copies. A hardcopy paper file may have been inadvertenly dropped on the floor and subsequently placed in 'file-13' but there is almost certainly a digital copy "somewhere" so NEVER be satisfied with "lost" as an answer.

Even if you need to start corrsponding with congressman or other government rep, dont take lost for an answer.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 28 January 2018, 16:26
Authorized Personnel

Can you submit a FOIA request to the VA & DOD for all medical records?
Old 28 January 2018, 16:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Can you submit a FOIA request to the VA & DOD for all medical records?
Already have, nothing found.

I've read numerous stories where records have been lost and people do a request once a year or so and eventually they're found.
Old 28 January 2018, 22:16
Never to old to learn

deleted by wildman

Last edited by wildman43; 28 January 2018 at 22:24.

Our new posting rules