SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 9 May 2018, 07:33
Authorized Personnel

Even Mild Case of TBI Linked to Increased Risk of Dementia

Trust me, don't mess around with the health and condition of your brain. Get in and get screened. Even a simple concussion is classified as a mild TBI.

"People who have a mild traumatic brain injury - even without loss of consciousness - may be more than twice as likely to develop dementia than individuals who don’t have these injuries, a study of U.S. veterans suggests.

While severe and even moderate brain injuries have long been linked to an increased risk of dementia, research to date on the link between milder brain injuries and cognitive decline has been mixed, particularly for cases when patients didn’t lose consciousness.

For the current study, researchers examined data on almost 358,000 veterans, about 90 percent male. Half of them were diagnosed with brain injuries between 2001 and 2014, and half were a control group of individuals who were similar to the injured veterans but without a history of brain injury.

Overall, 10,835, or 6 percent, of the veterans with brain injuries were diagnosed with dementia during the study, compared with 4,698, or less than 3 percent, of those without past brain injuries."

More in the article...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1I9345
Old 9 May 2018, 10:20
Confirmed User

I'm still waiting for my TBI screen. I never thought I had my bell rung too hard. I was always at least one truck behind any of the few IED's I've been through, but I definitely have been close to a few mortars. I recently found out that mortar blasts count too LOL.
Old 9 May 2018, 12:13
Voodoo guru

This causes some fear in me. I have a condition that I prefer to call a "superpower", called congenital analgesia; it means that I don't feel pain like most people. ie, I don't feel the sting of pain until it is very damaging or fatal.

In December 16 I got a TBI (that I did not know about) after getting jumped by some kids, a stick to the back of the head, and then three of them stomped on my skull specifically. And because I did not present at the ER, or "feel" anything that comes along with that kind of head trauma, I walked around for almost 10 months untreated.

I've never really known WTH to do about it.
Any guidance from the med heads would be appreciated.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 9 May 2018, 12:54
Freelancer

How does one go about a screening?
Old 9 May 2018, 12:55
Administrator

I thought I had it at one time, but now I can't remember.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 May 2018, 13:02
I aim to misbehave

I never had a single traumatic incident, though I have been worried about whatever they call it when cumulative smaller injuries and blast overpressure add up. Breacher's brain? Something like that. I'm also interested in how a person goes about getting screened.

While true:
Continue
Old 9 May 2018, 13:14
Voodoo guru

To the screening question: Once my doc realized it could be an issue, I went to a neurologist; and she did some basic screening. The tests were ocular response, some larger moves where you're laid on your back and the doc moves your limbs in ways that apparently affect brain function. EKG's, etc.

Old 9 May 2018, 14:15
Policeman Officer

Oh great. Multiple concussions, a couple IEDs. I should probably get screened.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 9 May 2018, 15:25
Never to old to learn

Just think what we went thru in Basic Training & other Special Types of Training!
Old 9 May 2018, 16:38
0311/8651

Um landmine? That did hurt a little. Not sure of my brain? I am kind of an ass I’m told!!!
Old 9 May 2018, 16:38
Confirmed User

I'm screwed, fortunately I've forgotten what the subject matter was.
Old 9 May 2018, 16:51
Make a desert and call it peace.

Oh cool, maybe it'll cancel out the Mefloquine psychosis? S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 9 May 2018, 18:30
The atomic zit

Should I get checked if he got knocked out but conscious?

It was the sports thing, and I remember hitting the guy in the next thing I knew I was on the other side of the field after we did that.
Old 9 May 2018, 18:46
I reckon so. . .

"However, the study wasn’t a controlled experiment designed to prove whether or how brain injuries cause or accelerate the development of dementia. It’s also possible that medical records used in the analysis didn’t reflect mild or early stages of dementia in some participants, the authors note."

This is a serious subject. A subject that ought not to have the above quote in it.

Unimpressed.

Neuro checks are cool. But they really don't tell you much. The movements you describe chokeu2 are more likely to gleen if there are lesions. EEG's too, don't tell much unless you're having key-activity or key-inactivity during the EEG.
Old 9 May 2018, 19:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I thought I had it at one time, but now I can't remember.
You fuckers have no sense of humor.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 May 2018, 19:56
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post

Neuro checks are cool. But they really don't tell you much. The movements you describe chokeu2 are more likely to gleen if there are lesions. EEG's too, don't tell much unless you're having key-activity or key-inactivity during the EEG.
That is disconcerting because I do not come close to presenting symptoms like 99% of the population. The only reason that I was told to get it checked is because the doc that worked on me in the ER was a former Army doc, and when he was going through some of his files, he had mine flagged because he noted that I refused pain meds when having my left ear sewn back on, and the tear in it stitched up; and the gash on my forehead from the soccer kick stitched up as well. And I insisted on leaving.

He did a follow up and asked about erratic behavior, loss of memory, dizziness, and a few other things. All of which I'd been experiencing. Some purely satanic behavioral urges where I just locked myself away in my office for everyones own good. Shit like that.

Some of these things I still have, but have somewhat adapted.

Old 9 May 2018, 22:02
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
That is disconcerting because I do not come close to presenting symptoms like 99% of the population. The only reason that I was told to get it checked is because the doc that worked on me in the ER was a former Army doc, and when he was going through some of his files, he had mine flagged because he noted that I refused pain meds when having my left ear sewn back on, and the tear in it stitched up; and the gash on my forehead from the soccer kick stitched up as well. And I insisted on leaving.

He did a follow up and asked about erratic behavior, loss of memory, dizziness, and a few other things. All of which I'd been experiencing. Some purely satanic behavioral urges where I just locked myself away in my office for everyones own good. Shit like that.

Some of these things I still have, but have somewhat adapted.
I always come back to *it* being the practitioner. The modality can vary.
Case in point. The former Army doc was right-on and felt aggressive about your symptomology.

But. . .

You already know you're in a select group of folks that just don't have the same pain-perception as the gen population. Nothing to be done about that unless you begin abusing sugar or other substances that increase pain awareness. Probably wouldn't change much at that.

The thing about any trauma really is time. Time is as large a part as *anything* is in healing. You probably healed by the time the neuro-doc saw you. Even then you would have had to have an active issue for She/He to be able to spot it; RE the lesions I mentioned above. Those lesions can be found by a good neuro doc guiding you thru a set of 'movements'.

Another thought on the Neuro Doc is; you have established a baseline. If you're still located in the area where they practice, you can return to them for follow up should the need arise.

In the case of your present persistent symptoms I'd start with a good General Practitioner. And segue from there. Could be an Endocrinologist, Neuro, or Acupuncturist for follow up/consult.

Hard to beat a good General Practitioner when you find one.
Old 9 May 2018, 22:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
You fuckers have no sense of humor.
HA! Have them submit this report.

And yes, I have TBI and yes I laugh at it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hurt-feelings-report.pdf (412.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 9 May 2018, 22:54
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
And yes, I have TBI and yes I laugh at it.
Ain't much else you can do, is there?

While true:
Continue
Old 9 May 2018, 22:54
I aim to misbehave

Side note: I've heard meftox described as a very slow form of TBI. Cross-thread points? How would something like that interact with TBI/ABI/Breacher's brain?

While true:
Continue

Our new posting rules