Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 24 September 2015, 16:23
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Just got done with my first ride in two years. Good to be home and on my regular routes, even if it was 90 degrees out and I got my ass kicked
Nice work. Did you finish it off with an OTH Zodiac movement?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 24 September 2015, 19:36
Cry havoc

I haven't ridden in about 3 weeks, which sucks. No races this year so I've been taking it relatively easy. Which is good and bad. I'm riding less, a lot less (although I was riding 3-4 times a week earlier in the year), working out a lot less also.....BUT...relatively pain free also.

Getting old sucks.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 24 September 2015, 20:55
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Nice work. Did you finish it off with an OTH Zodiac movement?
Hahahah, that mother fucker. There were zodiacs in the bay and he said, "can't you just imagine being out there, Loki on the bow, you in a sailors uniform, and me (then I tuned it out)
Old 25 September 2015, 17:21
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
... even if it was 90 degrees out and I got my ass kicked
I dream of days when it's only 90 degrees. But hearing that you got your ass kicked on a ride makes me happy because it seems that every ride for me lately is an ass kicker. Suck that is shared doesn't seem as sucky.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 17 October 2015, 08:57
Bitter old man.

Just got my bike overhauled and put aggressive tires on for this winter.
Might get snow tonight.
Old 23 November 2015, 17:40
Puttin' on the foil

total new guy to mountain bikes (or any bikes really). I had a trek hybrid a bunch of years ago but I sold it. A buddy and I have decided to take on a 24 hour mountain bike event. It's in July so there is plenty of time for a train up. I've been using my local YMCA and their spin bikes to get time in the saddle while i figure out what bike I'm going to get.

I've budgeted around $700 for a bike and after talking to a local shop and some google research I'm going to be looking for a hardtail. I have a 29" and was given a Specialized Stumpjumper M4 FSR and it's simply too big for me. I had to cut 3" off the seat post to be able to pedal the thing. I am considering buying a Specialized carbon fiber frame off ebay cheap and transplanting parts in order to get the bike closer to my size. I don't know if it's possible yet but it's an idea at this point.

So I'm on the lookout for a bike in my range so I can ride this event. I plan on spinning all winter until I can get out and ride a real bike on some real trails because I have zero experience with trail riding and really any of mountain biking.

Anyone know enough about mountain bikes to point out anything I should stay away from? I'm trying to stick with my budget as close as possible.
Old 24 November 2015, 18:26
Authorized Personnel

Craigslist is the place to start your search when you decide what you want. The price differential is crazy in your favor. $3-5k road bikes for $500 are the deal of the day if you have the time to look and be patient.
Old 24 November 2015, 20:25
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
total new guy to mountain bikes (or any bikes really). I had a trek hybrid a bunch of years ago but I sold it. A buddy and I have decided to take on a 24 hour mountain bike event. It's in July so there is plenty of time for a train up. I've been using my local YMCA and their spin bikes to get time in the saddle while i figure out what bike I'm going to get.

I've budgeted around $700 for a bike and after talking to a local shop and some google research I'm going to be looking for a hardtail. I have a 29" and was given a Specialized Stumpjumper M4 FSR and it's simply too big for me. I had to cut 3" off the seat post to be able to pedal the thing. I am considering buying a Specialized carbon fiber frame off ebay cheap and transplanting parts in order to get the bike closer to my size. I don't know if it's possible yet but it's an idea at this point.

So I'm on the lookout for a bike in my range so I can ride this event. I plan on spinning all winter until I can get out and ride a real bike on some real trails because I have zero experience with trail riding and really any of mountain biking.

Anyone know enough about mountain bikes to point out anything I should stay away from? I'm trying to stick with my budget as close as possible.

What event is it?

Two eyes from the east.
Old 25 November 2015, 08:55

Also wondering what event? I've raced two 24 hour races on a 5 person open team and two 24 hours races in Solo Pro, feel free to hit me up with any questions.
Old 25 November 2015, 11:04
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
What event is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Also wondering what event? I've raced two 24 hour races on a 5 person open team and two 24 hours races in Solo Pro, feel free to hit me up with any questions.
http://www.thehardcore24.com/
Old 25 November 2015, 11:46
Cry havoc

Quote:
Interesting I wonder how long the laps are and how much climb there is....

Two eyes from the east.
Old 25 November 2015, 11:51
Cry havoc

My bad...looks like one lap is about 7 miles with 800 feet gain.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 25 November 2015, 11:51
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Interesting I wonder how long the laps are and how much climb there is....
I'm entering the 2 man team category. You can see the winners total laps and lap times here. a single lap is 7.3 miles.

http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/fi...sonMale_DE.htm

For those who don't want to click
1st place 2 man team
182.5 miles total
25 laps total
Fastest lap: 43:38.55
Slowest lap: 1:09:41.61

Old 25 November 2015, 12:22
Cry havoc

Is it the team that goes the farthest in 24 hours that wins?

Quote:
I'm entering the 2 man team category. You can see the winners total laps and lap times here. a single lap is 7.3 miles.

http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/fi...sonMale_DE.htm

For those who don't want to click
1st place 2 man team
182.5 miles total
25 laps total
Fastest lap: 43:38.55
Slowest lap: 1:09:41.61

Two eyes from the east.
Old 25 November 2015, 12:24
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Is it the team that goes the farthest in 24 hours that wins?
Correct. One chip timer bracelet per team, and is handed off when they switch so only one rider per team is on the course at a time.
Old 25 November 2015, 12:36
Cry havoc

Quote:
Correct. One chip timer bracelet per team, and is handed off when they switch so only one rider per team is on the course at a time.
AH! Gotcha.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 26 November 2015, 15:09
Been There Done That

Quote:

Your best bet is to go on PB and find a bike there or finance a new bike. Trek offers some really good terms and other builders have jumped on board with that.

$700 for a mountain bike that you could actually take to any kind of race and not break is too low of a budget. I would shoot for at least $1000 if you're going for a HT.

And you will need some really good padding for your backside because riding a HT during a normal XC race will hurt, much less riding for 24 hours.

If you're stuck on getting a HT, and are serious about racing, I would make some considerations:

* Firstly, do not go with a 2x/3x setup. 1x10, 1x11 are your best bet.

* Get a good front suspension fork and a dropper post.

* Tubeless setup is a must.

* Make sure that your tire setup is going to work for the terrain.

* Buy a good helmet and PPE (pads, shin guards, gloves etc) that you have worn for HOURS before and it didn't drive you crazy. You can buy used PPE on PB and save a ton of money.

* Service your bike. Make sure your fork and brakes are fully serviced and tuned to your needs.

* Carry CO2 cartridges, headlamps, tools and spare tires on you. If you need to do a tire change in the dark, while you're tired, it's going to be a fucking shitshow if you don't have all of the items needed and you'll kill your time.

* Gu Gels and Powerblocks... and anything else you can stomach. Calorie dense foods like fudge almond brownies work wonders for long days. I use all of that stuff when I go touring.

Lastly, if you need help, ask. I got really lucky with one of my friends helping me put together a dream build for about 50% of what I would have paid for it used and about 70% less than from a shop.

Old 26 November 2015, 17:39
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Your best bet is to go on PB and find a bike there or finance a new bike. Trek offers some really good terms and other builders have jumped on board with that.

$700 for a mountain bike that you could actually take to any kind of race and not break is too low of a budget. I would shoot for at least $1000 if you're going for a HT.

And you will need some really good padding for your backside because riding a HT during a normal XC race will hurt, much less riding for 24 hours.

If you're stuck on getting a HT, and are serious about racing, I would make some considerations:

* Buy a good helmet and PPE (pads, shin guards, gloves etc) that you have worn for HOURS before and it didn't drive you crazy. You can buy used PPE on PB and save a ton of money.

* Service your bike. Make sure your fork and brakes are fully serviced and tuned to your needs.

* Carry CO2 cartridges, headlamps, tools and spare tires on you. If you need to do a tire change in the dark, while you're tired, it's going to be a fucking shitshow if you don't have all of the items needed and you'll kill your time.

* Gu Gels and Powerblocks... and anything else you can stomach. Calorie dense foods like fudge almond brownies work wonders for long days. I use all of that stuff when I go touring.

Lastly, if you need help, ask. I got really lucky with one of my friends helping me put together a dream build for about 50% of what I would have paid for it used and about 70% less than from a shop.

I can up my budget if I prolong my purchase.

I was given this bike by a coworker who strictly rides road bikes now. I don't know if it's junk or not but he's 6'2" and I'm 5'7" and I had to chop the seat post to make it ride-able for my short legs. My teammate tuned it up and cleaned up the chain and cassette and now those components look brand new. It feels large for me and likely need a smaller frame bike. I will most likely end up selling this bike (previous owner said throw it in the trash if I can't ride it since he's done with mtb now) to help fund the new one.

Great tips on on what to eat to keep our energy up. I'll post up when I narrow down my choices.

Old 26 November 2015, 17:53
Been There Done That

A bike is like a pair of shoes - the size has to be right for the person using it. Chopping down seat posts is a terrible idea for lots of reasons, such as catastrophic failure of the material under pressure.

Your bike has to fit you. Make sure you don't just assume that you're a S/M/L...because at 5'7 you could be any of the above just based on geometry and sizing charts. Go to bike shops and sit on a Trek, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Norco, Rocky Mountain etc.

Sell that old bike of yours on PB and use the money towards a new purchase. Don't spend any more money upgrading or fixing stuff on an old bike. Like computers, 5 years are a generation in bike years.

Old 28 November 2015, 09:33
Cry havoc

Quote:

Good post!

Dropper seat!!!!

Two eyes from the east.

Our new posting rules