Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 30 November 2015, 14:55
Spice Weasel

My experience is entirely from half and full Ironman races, so it may not be entirely relevant to your race, but here are my thoughts:

The course looks like it mostly comes in 100 to 200-foot chunks over 1/2 to 1 mile-ish. I'd be spending a lot of time climbing hills in training (because I climb hills exactly like that and I can tell you they suck after a few repeats). I would also do a lot of laps in the 7 mile range just so you get accustomed to boredom. By the third lap (actually halfway through the second lap) of the AZ Ironman bike course, I was ready to shoot myself from the monotony.

You can see the fatigue setting in on the splits reported on the results page. If I were racing it, I'd probably break it down into 3 lap sections with naps for the off-track guy. You can hammer for 2-3 hours at a time without blowing out, and the down time for the off-track person lets him get at least one full deep sleep cycle between laps. You can obviously hammer longer, but my experience is that 2-3 hours is a fast ride (both mentally and velocity-wise) that will leave plenty of gas in the tank for the next round.

Nutrition-wise, I'd train with real food to the extent possible and practicable. Gels and bars and chews are cool, but they get old fast. Although I carry Gu and some Gu Chomps on rides, I've mostly shifted over to Clif Shot Blox because the tropical punch and mountain berry are the best flavored stuff I've ever had. I also found that I could eat Tillamook teriyaki beef jerky (only Tillamook brand) on my bike just fine, and it was really a treat to have both a different flavor and something substantial. And five minutes off the bike during your breaks, you're going to be starving and want something to fill your stomach. On the AZ IM run course, I only ate grapes, and drank chicken broth, Gatorade, and a little water. And an occasional pretzel. At one aid station someone had some donut pieces, and that was a bit of heaven. I have a cookbook titled "Feed Zone Portables" that was written by some Tour soigneur. Has some interesting stuff in it if you're looking to train with real food.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 1 December 2015, 14:06
Puttin' on the foil

another great post, thank you for the tips Azatty.

I was able to get out on a local trail and screw around and my team mate and I had a great time tooling around. The Stumpjumper looked like it functioned well on the maintenance stand but once on the trail I found out the real story. Rear shock was leaking a lot, rear brake wouldn't stop me when there was weight on the bike which we found out was due to the reservoir being empty it was just below freezing and in an attempt to give me something in the rear brake we filled it with water which of course froze. I stayed on the middle cog on the front and really only changed gears within 6 gears.

I know it's not a high end bike but I found this on promotive and it's cheap with the discount and I'm trying to keep the cost down because of all the other gear I'll need like lights, tools and spare parts. Would this be a bad pickup? There are also discounts on Redline and Releigh bikes on promotive. It has 1x8 gears which might be enough gears or I think I could swap the cassette to 11 gears?

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mou...-hardtail-hook

Old 1 December 2015, 14:14
Been There Done That

Or...you could go on Pinkbike and see what they have there.

I'm going to bow out of the conversation after this last anecdote:

Guy likes to go mountain biking. Meets a girl who would like to go as well. Just to see if she will really dig it they decide she's going to get a bike for about $1k. He rides a $3k bike. They go out once and she hates life, biking, and never wants to do it again. The end.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 December 2015, 15:06
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

Guy likes to go mountain biking. Meets a girl who would like to go as well. Just to see if she will really dig it they decide she's going to get a bike for about $1k. He rides a $3k bike. They go out once and she hates life, biking, and never wants to do it again. The end.
I've been on pinkbike and looked through the for sale section. I don't know enough about bikes to be able to spot a good deal or even a good bike really. There are plenty of bikes over my budget and with all the extra gear I still need to get like spare parts, tools, bike lights, and safety gear I didn't want to spend $1k on a bike for most likely a one time thing, I'm not really into biking at all and this was just something that looked like a good challenge for us to do together.
Old 1 December 2015, 15:40
Cry havoc

Quote:

LMMFAO -that's funny. Same holds true for kayaks, etc..! Which is why I never bring my 'girl'.

The bottom line is you can do it on anything, I rode a couple of weeks ago with a dude that had a 90's hardtail that he likely bought for 700$ (actually probably less). And he killed it, of course he's a hockey player, so it kind of makes sense...

It all depends on how tough you want to be ...and if you're doing it for 24 hours you'd better have a healthy appetite for tough.

When I started MTB'ing I bought a hard tail Gary Fisher for 500$, 5 months later I bought a full suspension Santa Cruz Heckler with upgrades it was over 3K. I rode that bike for years, literally like 10 fucking years. It was actually a brutal bike to ride for what I was doing, heavy as FUCK, etc.. Last year I bought a hard tail Scotts for around 2K.. fucking bike is awesome, although my back hurts more now.

Both of those bikes are consider low-mid range, IMHO.

If all you have is a 1k or slightly less...fuck it do what you gotta do! I don't know anything about diamondback, all I know is Santa Cruz and Scott. My buds all ride Giant, Cannondale or build their own. Nothing wrong at all with Stumpjumpers, I've always liked Specialized..just never rode one.

I've heard good things about REI's brand also.

In the end it's just getting out there to have fun!

Two eyes from the east.
Old 1 December 2015, 15:41
Cry havoc

I'm sure you've looked on Ebay? Might be able to find a deal there as well!

I've got a bud who's a total aficionado in cheap good shit when it comes to MTBs, of course he rides like the most expensive shit or builds his own...but he's good. SO I'll ask him for a quick list on good hardtails for 1K or less... he's the guy I go to with these questions when budget is less than what I want!

Stay tuned.

Two eyes from the east.

Last edited by MikeC2W; 1 December 2015 at 15:52.
Old 1 December 2015, 16:07
Cry havoc

Oh well...this is all he had. Good luck!

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure..haven't been paying attention to bikes recently. Anything from Trek or Cannonale will be good...I know KHS has some decent 29r's in that price point, as well...Safe travels

Two eyes from the east.
Old 1 December 2015, 16:23
Spice Weasel

If you want to go old school, I could ship you my Trek Y-50. It was the full suspension shit back in the day. I'll even include the stuffed lizard that's zip-tied to the stem.

I'd check the bike shops for demo bikes or old models. When I bought my TT bike, I got a model that was a year old because I wasn't sure whether I'd want to stick with it. Then I upgraded components over time.

I've also heard that some brands have a rental program. Giant comes to mind.

I don't know if I'd get hung up on full suspension (and the extra $ it will cost you) when looking at a bike for this race. The course you're riding is more climbing and flats than serious downhill (looks like there's only one really good descent), so I think I'd choose a hard tail for it. The other thing is that (in my opinion) a hard tail will teach you better handling skills and balance if you're new to the sport. I found that with a FS bike I was bearing weight on my ass more than my feet, and so that translated to different handling and less control.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 2 December 2015, 01:06
Been There Done That

Three bikes under $1000 on PB that will work for this adventure:

2014 Specialized Crave Comp

2014 Rock Hopper Comp

2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Old 1 January 2016, 14:14
Bitter old man.

Had my first snow ride of the season.
Great workout and legs are smoked.
Old 14 June 2016, 08:46
Authorized Personnel

Has anyone been our riding this spring/ summer? I rode 100 miles over the last week and am starting to get back into cycling shape.

CG
Old 14 June 2016, 08:57
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
Has anyone been our riding this spring/ summer? I rode 100 miles over the last week and am starting to get back into cycling shape.

CG
I try to go everyday before or after work. Weather has been great here in New England.
Old 14 June 2016, 09:16
Confirmed User

Quote:

CG
That's some good distance! What do you ride?
Old 16 June 2016, 18:11
Authorized Personnel

Hoepoe,

I ride an Orbea, Orca. My second frame as unlucky as I could be on one driving trip, a rock flipped up and popped a hole in my frame while it was on the back of my truck. I have been riding this one since 2006 or so. It will be going into the shop soon for a new crank set, chain and rear cartridge. They are just flat wore out but they keep me going while I wait.

I would love to hear any recommendations or good deals on a new crankset.

How about you?
Old 21 June 2016, 00:17
Spice Weasel

Quote:

CG
Only 100 for the week? That's my Saturday ride when I'm training heavy. But I'm being lazy right now, so the most I do is around 90 a week. I spent the last six months getting out of shape. Not having any early season races really killed my motivation.

Old 1 July 2016, 09:39
Been There Done That

Interesting. I guess it is true, you get what you pay for.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pro-mount...153448729.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 July 2016, 10:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Interesting. I guess it is true, you get what you pay for.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pro-mount...153448729.html
Um yeah. Fuck that.

I don't recommend for anyone to ride a Walmart bike down an urban DH course, or any other DH course. The parts are shit and if you've ever had cheap parts break on you while going 30mph + you'll understand...

Old 1 July 2016, 12:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Only 100 for the week? That's my Saturday ride when I'm training heavy. But I'm being lazy right now, so the most I do is around 90 a week. I spent the last six months getting out of shape. Not having any early season races really killed my motivation.
You are right, when I moved from Wyoming I was riding 45-60 miles three times a week. I have been chipping at it since and now decided to get back into serious cycling shape. Virginia is tricky riding with no shoulders and lots of traffic. I try to get out of the house before 0700 on the days I ride and have a limited amount of time.

The best one day ride for me was LOTOJA from Logan Utah to Jackson Wyoming in one day. 206 miles and over three fairly high mountain passes. I just wish I was in that shape today...

CG
Old 1 July 2016, 12:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Um yeah. Fuck that.

I don't recommend for anyone to ride a Walmart bike down an urban DH course, or any other DH course. The parts are shit and if you've ever had cheap parts break on you while going 30mph + you'll understand...
No shit, back in the day in WI this company used to have a deal you buy a TV get a free bike. My parents got a TV and I used the bike to ride to school. I was racing bikes at this time so I was really strong. I was riding home from school one day and the chainring just crumbled. Wasn't even doing anything hard.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 15 September 2016, 04:20
Conquer Life.

Probably one of the coolest mountain bike videos I've seen in a while... Gee Atherton races Peregrine Falcon downhill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8tShcn-dY

"Not all who wander are lost."

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo

Our new posting rules