SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 22 October 2017, 16:08

Anyone here jump into the 2017 Cyclocross season to race?
Old 22 October 2017, 20:38
Voodoo guru

A combination of taking my daughter on a girl scout camping trip, and her knew found affection for riding her bike all of a sudden, and put over the edge because of this thread; I took the plunge and bought a bike.

REI had a garage sale and had a slew of bikes at kickass prices. I zero'd in on two in particular. A fully suspended Ghost, and a Co-Op 1.3 hardtail. I was going to snatch the Ghost because it was at $1200; but my dumb ass took a phone call and some dude walked right up to it, took it; and bought it.

So I took the Co-Op 1.3 off the rack, and bought it on the spot for $600. It is fairly well equipped, and will be quite ample for my purposes. I know I know, Co-Op is REI's new house brand; but objectively speaking, it's a pretty damn good bike.

Now, to learn the hard way how poorly conditioned my legs really are.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 23 October 2017, 00:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
A combination of taking my daughter on a girl scout camping trip, and her knew found affection for riding her bike all of a sudden, and put over the edge because of this thread; I took the plunge and bought a bike.

REI had a garage sale and had a slew of bikes at kickass prices. I zero'd in on two in particular. A fully suspended Ghost, and a Co-Op 1.3 hardtail. I was going to snatch the Ghost because it was at $1200; but my dumb ass took a phone call and some dude walked right up to it, took it; and bought it.

So I took the Co-Op 1.3 off the rack, and bought it on the spot for $600. It is fairly well equipped, and will be quite ample for my purposes. I know I know, Co-Op is REI's new house brand; but objectively speaking, it's a pretty damn good bike.

Enjoy! Ride, be safe, have fun!
Old 23 October 2017, 09:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
They are pretty new - only been there for a few years.

You need to venture out to Montgomery Bell and hit those trails. They're the best in the state. Only an hour out of Nashvegas.
Sorry I missed your post.

Montgomery Bell is on the list. I live an hour east of Nashville, so Knoxville isn't much farther of a drive. They have an Urban Wilderness just south of the river with 42 miles of trails that are awesome. The new bike has been worth every penny.
Old 23 October 2017, 11:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
... I know I know, Co-Op is REI's new house brand; but objectively speaking, it's a pretty damn good bike.
You'll be pleasantly surprised to know that almost all bike frames are made in China, and most are made in the same factory.

Differences really come down to individual frame geometry at that stage, which can make all the difference, but in terms of quality, it's fairly universal.

Have fun on your new steed. I haven't ridden a single day this year.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 October 2017, 13:06
Confirmed User

^Shit, at least I have you beat in number of days ridden this year!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 25 October 2017, 17:33
Adding Chlorine

Just picked up a Breezer Squall Expert 29er to replace my old starter bike. Not planning any hairy downhills for a bit, but should be great for mileage and local trails to help shed combat padding.

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 26 October 2017, 10:40
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
You'll be pleasantly surprised to know that almost all bike frames are made in China, and most are made in the same factory.

Differences really come down to individual frame geometry at that stage, which can make all the difference, but in terms of quality, it's fairly universal.

Have fun on your new steed. I haven't ridden a single day this year.
Man, I gotta say, the changes in bike tech in just the past few years is crazy. As it happens, this bike that I got has a clutch. A fucking clutch... I had no idea.

I realized what it was, and switched in on while in the process of passing out on one of the heart attack hills in my neighborhood. You guys are probably used to a clutch by now; but I was not. It totally enable smooth transitions between gears while under the pressure of switching gears going uphill. That's just damn cool, and I cannot believe how much of a difference it has made in the ride.

I could not be more happy with this bike!

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 29 October 2017, 17:50
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Great post, and I'm right there with you. Somewhere burried in these legs USED to be a bike rider...but it doesn't appear that the walking miles (lately) directly transition to "easy" bike miles! The only thing likely saving my ass is the amazing quality of the new(er) lightweight gear, and just how smoothly it all works compared to the old vintage steel frame.

Hell, remember the summers as a kid when we would take off in the morning on an old schwinn stingray, and spend all day until sunset trashing every corner of the city? The BEST of times. And never hurt the next day!

It IS addicting! Can't get enough...just like being a kid again!

circa 1969ish.
Old 30 October 2017, 00:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

circa 1969ish.
You had the cool kid bike! Growing up where I did, the chopper style's were super rare!!
Old 30 October 2017, 08:18
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
You had the cool kid bike! Growing up where I did, the chopper style's were super rare!!
LOL! I know at on time I even had a "slick" on the back!
Old 31 October 2017, 09:09
Conformed User

Quote:

I know I know, Co-Op is REI's new house brand; but objectively speaking, it's a pretty damn good bike.
I put thousands of miles on a Novarra road bike (REIs old house brand). Those bikes are solid. I even rode it in an Ironman. Itís now 15 years old and Iíve converted it into a single speed fun bike. I think you invested wisely.
Old 9 January 2018, 11:31

Wife surprised me last night with an early birthday gift, a Giant Anyroad 1 gravel bike. For those not familiar with the gravel riding, it is kind of a hybrid between a road bike and cyclocross bike. Can't wait for the weather to break to try it out. Leaning towards doing the GRUSK (Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob) this summer. It is a 72 mile gravel/backroad race up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV. If anyone else on here is planning on doing it, give me a yell.
Old 14 January 2018, 11:12
Confirmed User

I was in Leadville this week and took my first fat tire ride. They groom the trails and it was fantastic. It was 20 degrees, but I was shedding clothes as I went. If I lived out there Iíd definitely own one, but itíd be a waste of money in Tennessee. At 10,000 feet, pedaling that heavy bike up steep hills was an ass kicker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E642C5D4-7F99-4677-A297-17F9FB40A073.jpg (33.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 14 January 2018, 11:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Wife surprised me last night with an early birthday gift, a Giant Anyroad 1 gravel bike. For those not familiar with the gravel riding, it is kind of a hybrid between a road bike and cyclocross bike. Can't wait for the weather to break to try it out. Leaning towards doing the GRUSK (Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob) this summer. It is a 72 mile gravel/backroad race up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV. If anyone else on here is planning on doing it, give me a yell.
That race looks like a lot of fun, but Iíll be doing another race that weekend. Maybe next year.
Old 14 January 2018, 12:14
Been There Done That

I'm still pulling for peewee...

peewee.jpg

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 12 March 2018, 13:05

I’m in this roll-call too) I have cross country bike Specialized Hardrock and I’m gloriously happy having it!
Old 12 March 2018, 15:35
Been There Done That

Just ordered a Colnago C-RS on end of year special. Back in the saddle again...by Friday-ish.
Old 7 April 2018, 14:10
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

For all you mountain biking/extreme biking enthusiasts, check out this video I caught on some obscure channel last week showing a biker heading down a course through some town in Mexico, mainly over foot paths and rough terrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITW5tr7KQg

They call it the Taxco Urban Downhill.

Pretty wild, have to wonder if anybody running the course has wiped at some point.
Old 10 April 2018, 16:55
Been There Done That

I was forced to ride my mountain bike to work for a few weeks last summer as my truck was getting fixed. I work nights, leave for work about 1800 or so. 12 miles or so round trip , one major game crossing in a big depression along the route. I loved the ride, but it got to be too dangerous through the depression, when I am hauling ass, to confront a deer or a raccoon, etc. I am too daggum old to be flying over handle bars!

Our new posting rules