Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 6 January 2018, 12:08

Would work on a static security contract help gain time for a PSS position? I thought your one year high threat experience had to be mobile.
Old 6 January 2018, 13:58
Confirmed User

I would not work for that little here CONUS than alone in a high danger OCONUS area. You are better off going back in to the Army. Hell, joining the NG and Guard bumming would probably pay better. You could probably even find a unit that would send you to an AIT for a skill that pays on the outside like construction, avionics, or heavy wheel mechanic.

x/S
Old 6 January 2018, 14:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutsOut View Post
Would work on a static security contract help gain time for a PSS position? I thought your one year high threat experience had to be mobile.
No. Not according to the recruiter I spoke with. Only close protection or PSD.
Old 6 January 2018, 17:30
Been There Done That

Your question about tier structure - there isn't one.

There are some contracts that pay very little and some that pay a lot.

Work that pays very well is still available. The only problem for you, that I see at this juncture in your life, is that you don't have the background. Trying to get that experience isn't going to help because you're not currently spending time on the ground in SOF.

If you want to do cool guy stuff and get paid for it, I would recommend you leave this contract and go back home. Or, if you really want to stay where you are, you begin knocking out online classes at full course load.

You need to get a Bachelor's degree while you're there making your money and then start applying for positions with the CIA, DIA, NSA etc if you want to be part of that world.

Otherwise, you're making a below-par wage, for a lot of risks, and very low quality of life.

I wish you the best in your future plans.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 January 2018, 20:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prxspect View Post
Hey everyone...
Congrats on your new gig. The time you put in working over there will help you gain enough experience to be hired on SOME of the other contracts that are better paying than what you're currently making.

MixedLoad provided you with sage advice. Get your education knocked out while you are over there. Once you have your degree, you'll be more employable both Stateside and overseas for better-paying positions with more responsibility.

Going into it, understand that you are not making much money in the security contracting scheme of things. However, if you use the time wisely to build one of the early stepping stones of your resume, you can significantly increase what the prospects on the other end of your contracting time looks like.

I would start by thinking about where you want to be in life (professional & personal) in five and ten years. Then plan on what you need to do to get there and start checking items off the list.

It's good to understand a key shortcoming of many contractors. That shortcoming is that a lot of people started contracting years ago, are still doing it and have done little to improve their future prospects. In the meantime, they have racked up debt and backed themselves into a financial corner that keeps them going overseas. If that's the life you want, roll into the camp with a goatee, shaved head and call yourself an operator and you'll be a member of the cool guy crowd.

If you want to set yourself up for success, avoid the pitfalls of X-Box, rocking R&R like a rock start and living beyond the means of a normal Stateside income and you'll be fine. Replace all that with classes, keeping a low profile and focusing on your future.

Good luck and have a great time!
Old 7 January 2018, 00:36

MixedLoad and OfficeSloth have given outstanding advice IMO. I have been contracting for 11 1/2 years now. I would also consider looking into some type of certification like getting your PMP or similar that helps set you apart from the thousands of other contractors. The 2 best pieces of advice that I received when starting contracting 1. Keep your mind on your money and your money on your mind (save it or wisely invest it) 2. Don't get involved in other peoples dramas .....Now back to my corner...
Old 8 January 2018, 00:51

Thanks fellas,
You all gave me plenty more advice than I was expecting to get!
I'm certainly going to do my best and apply all of these points into the game plan for this next year. It does seem I should have better opportunities after I get this contract in- but, I would like to either take courses (PMP) once I get back or pursue SOF.

~Prospect
Old 8 January 2018, 12:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Like if you get hurt and end up on DBA?
How was your weapons qual? You gonna brag about how you outshot all of them as well?

Pogue-ass quitter
Old 8 January 2018, 15:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20boatguy22 View Post
How was your weapons qual? You gonna brag about how you outshot all of them as well?

Pogue-ass quitter
He outshot someone? Was it a NG qual?

Old 8 January 2018, 20:51
Been There Done That

I recommend you save as much of that $50k as you can and put it towards some kind of trade school/ certification. something in the Cybersecurity realm- it is huge and only going to continue to explode.

There is tons of money to be made here back in the states. The economy and stock market are at all time highs (for now). All you need to do is a make the right moves and take it.
19 Oct 2017
Old 8 January 2018, 20:52
Been There Done That

I recommend you save as much of that $50k as you can and put it towards some kind of trade school/ certification. I recommend something in the Cybersecurity realm- it is huge and only going to continue to explode.

There is tons of money to be made here back in the states. The economy and stock market are at all time highs (for now). All you need to do is a make the right moves and take it.

This ain't 2008- no reason to nug it out anymore.
19 Oct 2017
Old 8 January 2018, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I recommend you save as much of that $50k as you can and put it towards some kind of trade school/ certification. I recommend something in the Cybersecurity realm- it is huge and only going to continue to explode.

This ain't 2008- no reason to nug it out anymore.
I don't know too much about cybersecurity, but as far as the market, I have been doing retail trading on currencies (forex & crypto's) for probably 18 months now, and I love it. When I first discharged from the Army, the wife and I traveled around while I traded.

To get back on topic, I would like to continue doing security contract work for as long as I am physically capable. Right now I am hoping to get an initial contract in, save some money, then come back to complete a course or two that I think will improve the quality of contracts I can get, because right now I am scraping the barrel... I imagine there are about the same amount of cyber security positions as WPS and PSS positions, but probably much less are qualified for the cybersecurity field?
Old 8 January 2018, 21:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
....Right now I am hoping to get an initial contract in, save some money, then come back to complete a course or two that I think will improve the quality of contracts I can get, because right now I am scraping the barrel...
Since I'm not really aware of how much experience you have, let me touch on some things briefly to save you both time and money.

When I started on my first contract in February 2004, I thought along the same lines as you are now. Although I was getting paid about 3x what you're making.

Turns out...there are no courses that will improve anything in terms of contracting. The very essence of the business is that you have a company, who bids for work with a client. The client says I need X amount of people, with Y qualification(s), for Z amount.

So if you don't meet that desired need...it doesn't matter what course you attended. You're still not getting hired.

Let me do a little bit of a deep-dive on your actual reasons for wanting to work as an oconus security contractor:

What do you envision it to be?
Why is it something you want to pursue so badly?
Where do you see yourself in 5 and 10 years?

Old 8 January 2018, 21:26
Policeman Officer

I spent a ton of money on training and while it was worth doing for its own sake it had exactly zero bearing on any job I got after that.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 January 2018, 22:23
Confirmed User

I have another question for anybody who's working WPS etc recently: Is contracting enjoyable anymore? I don't mean is it a vacation, let me elaborate. I was last in Iraq after the troops left on '12, and there were barely any American or coalition personnel there anymore. The place was like a ghost town relatively speaking.

Is there still a comraderie and life long friendships being built working a dangerous job with like minded individuals, hitting the gym, training and all that or has it become routine like any other job? Guys coming and going for a paycheck and that's all?

I first learned BJJ by some Blackwater guys that started a class a couple times a week and I still train when I can. I remember the FOB gym was packed like a bar on Saturday night after duty hours and groups of guys were always hanging out shooting the shit outside their pad like we did in the mil. Is it still like that or what? I should add it seemed as if the contact crowd was as tight as we were in the military.
Old 8 January 2018, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I have another question for anybody who's working WPS etc recently: Is contracting enjoyable anymore? I don't mean is it a vacation, let me elaborate. I was last in Iraq after the troops left on '12, and there were barely any American or coalition personnel there anymore. The place was like a ghost town relatively speaking.

Is there still a comraderie and life long friendships being built working a dangerous job with like minded individuals, hitting the gym, training and all that or has it become routine like any other job? Guys coming and going for a paycheck and that's all?

I first learned BJJ by some Blackwater guys that started a class a couple times a week and I still train when I can. I remember the FOB gym was packed like a bar on Saturday night after duty hours and groups of guys were always hanging out shooting the shit outside their pad like we did in the mil. Is it still like that or what?
As a cherry in the PMC industry, I sincerely hope it doesn't have that, "9-5" mundane feel.
Old 8 January 2018, 22:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
As a cherry in the PMC industry, I sincerely hope it doesn't have that, "9-5" mundane feel.

The type of people you are going to be working with and for will determine that.
Old 8 January 2018, 23:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'm assuming you are going to be doing static security. How exciting do you think static security can get?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 9 January 2018, 00:14
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Conversely, as long as you don't think you'll be doing HSLD trigger work either.

Seriously, I found the best way to approach this was to set few to no expectations then once you are there and have your environment locked down, make the most of it regardless of whether there is "suck" involved or not. Work hard and be present and interested. It will probably not be sexy work at all, but treat it as if it is worthwhile.

Your "enjoyment" of the role is directly related to your attitude. So, good luck and have fun!

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 9 January 2018, 02:19
micro-aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
I'm assuming you are going to be doing static security. How exciting do you think static security can get?
Just for reference, I would kill myself if I had to do what our static guys do all day. Being stuck in a Bearcat for 12 hours with 4 other awesome guys is still being stuck in a Bearcat for 12 hours.

Our new posting rules