SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 10 January 2019, 12:20
Voodoo guru

SF Recruiter connect to Officer Candidate: asking for a new friend

Mornin guys,

I was at the gym the other day, and there was a dude who was just killing it on deadlifts. And as I was about to be in a rack under a bar doing squats I saw this guy. We ended up spotting each other in between his deadlift sets, and me between my squats.

Turns out, he's a recent college grad, and football player. Which explained his athleticism. We ended up bumping into each other in the cafe (Lifetime) eating post workout meal. So we started chatting some more. We were talking about the log PT that his football coaches used to make his squad do. His squad started out hating the log PT, but then it became their favorite form of team workout. He was laughing saying that he never expected to do that kind of workout and that it reminded him of some of the workout's he'd seen some military units doing. I made a crack saying that if he enjoyed log PT, he should enlist in the military.

Lo and behold, the kid said, "actually I did!" It really surprised me. Here is a guy that is young, jacked, intelligent, a physical specimen and humble on top of the rest it all. He has enlisted, he's going to Ft. Relaxin-Jackson in April, then down to the Benning School for wayward boys after that. I mentioned that I'd spent a lot of time there, and that caused him to set forward into the conversation more.

He asked immediately what I knew about the Ranger BN, and SF. Apparently one of his coaches put that spark into him insofar as units like that simply because of the physicality. He looked into it more, and is extremely interested in the SF route.

That was a long way to go to ask; does anyone have a personal connect at Benning, or wherever, that I can give this guy to call? Now I do not know if he can start that conversation this early or not; but it would seem to me that if he could get on the SF radar while he's getting basic and OCS out of the way, then it could be a smoother process for him?

I cannot remember the last time that I had a conversation with someone where I've actually recommended that they join the service. Simply because it's a calling. This kid got called; it was apparent. And not in that cheesy, "I wanna be a bad ass specopsgreenberetrangersealforcereconpj" guy. He was low key, humble, genuinely both interesting and curious.

BTW, I don't know if makes any difference to big or little green; but he got his degree in Health Science, and would like to be close to the healthcare side of things.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW

Last edited by chokeu2; 10 January 2019 at 12:23. Reason: grammar
Old 10 January 2019, 12:32
Unemployed Stunt Double

Let me dig around, I know one of the SF recruiters at Benning. See if I can dig up an email. That said, if he goes to OCS he won't be eligible for years.
Old 10 January 2019, 12:43
Administrator

I would say it depends greatly on what he actually wants to do in the Mil. If he wants to be in a unit that is going 100mph all the time and primarily kicks doors and shoots people in the face, go to the Ranger Regiment.

If he wants to be in a unit that does FID/UW/Languages/etc and sometimes kick doors and shoots people in the face, go SF. He just needs to understand that there is much more to SF than doing DA.

So, he needs to understand the differences between the missions. Educate himself and make a good decision about which one is more in line with what he wants to do.

Personally, I think doing a few years as an enlisted guy in the Ranger Regiment before going to SF is about the best way you can possibly go.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 10 January 2019, 12:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That said, if he goes to OCS he won't be eligible for years.
Yeah I missed that OCS part.

I'd tell that kid to do his homework on being an Officer as well. Just because he has a degree doesn't mean he needs to be an Officer. He might enjoy being enlisted much more, and he could also go to OCS down the road.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 10 January 2019, 12:55
BTDT

Did you issue him an invite to join SOCNET?
Old 10 January 2019, 12:58
Voodoo guru

Fair enough! Thank you for that!
He seemed pretty well researched on the topic; but I am not a good judge not having been an 18 series myself. He didn't come off as entitled, and wanting to he a fire breather all the time.

I did just remember that he also said that he is also curious about MI. He spoke and seemed to have the intellect of a nerd, in an athletes physique.

That said, I will forward that on to him. Thanks you much.

Old 10 January 2019, 12:59
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Did you issue him an invite to join SOCNET?
Ah! I did not!
I'm not predisposed to having .mil conversations with most folks; so I didn't think to offer that up.

But it is probably the best advice possible given what Gavin and Sharky have said.

I'll do that.

Old 10 January 2019, 14:04
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I'd tell that kid to do his homework on being an Officer as well. Just because he has a degree doesn't mean he needs to be an Officer..
Way out of my lane here but this is a foot stomper. Decide between doing the business and being just qualified enough at the business to supervise the guys that do it. Hard lesson learned from a former O.
Old 10 January 2019, 19:11
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Let me dig around, I know one of the SF recruiters at Benning. See if I can dig up an email. That said, if he goes to OCS he won't be eligible for years.
My recruiter contact has moved on...just have the kid hop on SOCNET...

Our new posting rules