SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 October 2018, 22:52
Confirmed User

TFG, I've think got the optimal summer/winter angles figured out for my latitude. I'm just going to stick with those angles and not try to track. The winter will be the most critical as my length of day is so long this far north in the summer. Might experiment some though.

Took a break today and got water hooked up to the house and a freeze proof faucet installed. Should have the power panel mounted inside the house tomorrow with the invertor, combiner box, and panel etc. Then start running Romex. Previous owners 12v wiring was a house fire in the making. The invertor weighs right at 80lbs!
Old 18 October 2018, 23:26
The Sagacious One

I agree tracking is also expensive. I am anxious to see the end result. FWIW, I just had the knob and tube wiring replaced in the upstairs of my house.
Old 21 October 2018, 22:36
Confirmed User

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Thank TFG. I'm excited to get out of my trailer and into the house! Got water and power into the house. Still need to connect the battery bank to the invertor. Should start running wire to circuits tomorrow after I wire in the generator outlet.
Old 22 October 2018, 04:28
Old Scroll

If those are Lead acid batteries consider a vent from the battery box to outside. Surprised i was at how much outgassing goes on.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 October 2018, 08:34
Confirmed User

Yes they are flooded lead acid batteries. I've got a little fan that will pull air out through the wall via a 1 1/2" piece of conduit. Plus that gas is pretty corrosive and you don't want it wafting up towards that electronic equipment.
Old 22 October 2018, 16:20
Old Scroll

^^^ Roger that. Be prepared to change out the fan every couple of years. Hope you've got PVC conduit going on.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 October 2018, 19:57
Confirmed User

I went with ABS. They definitely offgass a shit load when absorbing! I may end up switching to a Zypher one but didn't want to spend $114 on it. The DC fans I got were $10 on Amazon. Well see how long they last. Got everything connected up and wired an outlet up! No more working of the generator.
Old 22 October 2018, 22:21
Old Scroll

Code for NC called for a latching sealed box with a 2" vent to the outside. No fan on mine

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 25 October 2018, 12:40
Confirmed User

OMG... the wife has decided she likes an off grid property in Colorado. The problem is that it was built by a billionaire who is now deceased... the home is powered by two Cummings propane generators (one back-up) that charge 96 forklift batteries at a cost of $1800 per battery. Luckily they are estimated to last 20 years. When the generator isn’t powered on the batteries are charged by a row of solar panels about 50 yards long. All the pipelines (water) and electric lines have been established to tie into a water turbine generator (has not been completed) that collects from a head of water coming out of the mountains.
This guy had a green passion that had no monetary limitations.
Did I mention the seven subsoil 1000 gallon propane tanks...

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 25 October 2018, 23:07
Confirmed User

That microhydro is the ultimate if you have enough water/fall. There is a fire camp back in the middle of nowhere that I stay at occasionally that has a good sized one and they jump theirs up to medium high voltage with a transformer and run it half a mile up the mountain. It then powers about twenty cabins, shops etc.

I really think battery technology is the limiting factor right now. When someone cracks the code on them I believe power companies are going to be hurting in the residential power sector.
Old 6 November 2018, 23:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I'd be interested in what you're using here. Is it designed for a gravity-fed setup (I'm not clear where the volume and density of a filter provide too much resistance to non-pressurized system)?

Thanks!
DaveP
Finally got the water system wrapped up. First time using PEX and I'm sold even if they do rape you on the fittings. Had one wrong supply line for the sink so I can't test the hit water heater till tomorrow. Cold side runs strong though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0206.jpg (39.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 7 November 2018, 00:37
The atomic zit

Pex fittings are expensive because there was a bad batch of fittings that resulted in a lot leaks.

Search: “zurn lawsuit” for details.

You can always use copper!!!

Remember to test your crimping tool properly.

Last edited by Stretch; 7 November 2018 at 00:44. Reason: Added “zurn lawsuit”
Old 7 November 2018, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Finally got the water system wrapped up. First time using PEX and I'm sold even if they do rape you on the fittings. Had one wrong supply line for the sink so I can't test the hit water heater till tomorrow. Cold side runs strong though.
Nice work!! Clean and easy access for swapping out your filters. Do I see a bypass line around them if needed, or am I reading that wrong?
And did you end up rigging a pump downstream from tank or all grav?
Very cool ... was going to say 'project' but it's way more than that. Congrats on your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy0834 View Post
Did I mention the seven subsoil 1000 gallon propane tanks...
Morning wood for a certain propane hoarder...

DaveP
Old 7 November 2018, 09:48
Confirmed User

Thanks! Nothing like imminent threat of snow to motivate one. I did end up running a pump mainly because those water heaters are finicky unless they have the right pressure. Since everything past the invertor is 120v I made the pump the same vs using an rv 12v one. There is bypass around the filters at the top. Here is a better shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0206~2.jpg (26.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 7 November 2018, 10:17
The Sagacious One

Wowzers, very cool, is the long stainless tube the UV light/bacteria killer? You think like me. Valves are cheap, I put them everywhere.

My wife was watering the garden with softened (Nonsaline) and filtered water, I almost had a stroke. I bypassed the filter for the outside spigot. This system leads to a reverse osmosis system that provides distilled water with a little mineral additives for taste. I'll post a new picture with the bypass piping. I used the pex for the filter, but the rest of the house is PVC or CPVC.
Old 7 November 2018, 10:26
Confirmed User

TFG, it is. Ditto on the valves, makes future servicing of appliances so much easier. There is also one of those Sharkbite disconnect so I can take the whole board off the wall. What kind of mineral system is it? I'm curious because rain water is usually pretty flat like distilled.

Last edited by wowzers; 7 November 2018 at 10:46.
Old 7 November 2018, 10:43
Another pool cleaner

Wowzers, that is great set up.
Old 7 November 2018, 10:51
Confirmed User

I can't take full credit, I basically copied some systems I had seen online. I think the Earthship (which I'm increasingly interested in) folks sell a similar system, but its like $3000. I probably have under $500 including the crimp tool.
Old 7 November 2018, 23:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Wowzers, very cool, is the long stainless tube the UV light/bacteria killer? You think like me. Valves are cheap, I put them everywhere.

My wife was watering the garden with softened (Nonsaline) and filtered water, I almost had a stroke. I bypassed the filter for the outside spigot. This system leads to a reverse osmosis system that provides distilled water with a little mineral additives for taste. I'll post a new picture with the bypass piping. I used the pex for the filter, but the rest of the house is PVC or CPVC.
If you're running a Reverse Osmosis system then there should be NO mineral taste, unless the membrane is compromised. Not preaching to the choir but a reverse osmosis system, by definition only allows molecules the size of a water molecule or smaller through the membrane.

The only reason I know this is because I had two 600 gph ROWPUs in my company in Honduras; the 600 gph rating is for seawater. which they could turn into drinking water- it could do approximately 960 gph with 'fresh' (read polluted).

Its like witchcraft...
Old 12 November 2018, 10:05
Confronting the Reckoning

Given the fires in California, bump for a fresh review on bugging out or sheltering in place (safe from fire but the grid is down until repaired) in a natural disaster.

Our new posting rules