SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 31 October 2018, 08:22
Important nobody

Laptop computer

Gents,

Any input on decent laptops would be appreciated. I am not a gamer nor do I do any kind of crazy high speed processing. Smaller screens not acceptable. Will be using for invoices, some youtube viewing, surfing the net and some power point applications. I understand Lenovo's are pretty decent for the price. I would have to assume all are programmed with Win 10 these days. Thanks in advance....
Old 31 October 2018, 11:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjohn View Post
Gents,

Any input on decent laptops would be appreciated. I am not a gamer nor do I do any kind of crazy high speed processing. Smaller screens not acceptable. Will be using for invoices, some youtube viewing, surfing the net and some power point applications. I understand Lenovo's are pretty decent for the price....
Sure - if you want a Chinese laptop....
Old 31 October 2018, 12:55
Authorized Personnel

Macbook Pro...
Old 31 October 2018, 13:23
Confirmed User

I second the MacBook.
Since a larger screen seems to be an important factor, the Pro will be the way to go as it offers 13" and 15" versions vs the 12" of the regular version. The Air isn't really that interesting, while it probably offers enough performance for you, the price isn't that attractive compared to the Pro.
Old 31 October 2018, 13:52
I really don't care

I've heard good things about the MacBook, just never took the leap. Like you I do not game or need high qual graphics. Just good old surfing, email, MS Office programs, etc. To me speed is more important.

I have purchased my last 4 computers from Micro Center in Minneapolis. I've had a Lenovo, 2 Acers, and now a Dell. Prior to buying the Lenovo I was strictly a Dell user.

Advice: Buy a accidental damage warranty. Micro Center sells them for $45 on any laptop for 1 year. You can go up to 3, for a higher cost of course. The reason I've gone through so many is because the Lenovo and both Acers died on me one way or another. Having the extra warranty, I just walked in, picked a new one for the same original price, and was out in less than 30 minutes. With my new Dell I put in a little more to get better speed.

Having said all of this, I say do not buy an Acer. Lenovos have gotten a little better in the last few years but I've decided to stay away from them. The typical problems for both tend to be Windows 10 update #1804, power units going bad, or getting a blue/black screen of death. I recommend Dell, as they now make less expensive units. You can buy one for those things you need for well under $500.

Windows 10 comes with almost all new PC's now. I like the functionality, but just too many fuck-ups in their updates. And I mean fuck-ups that kill the computer. Good luck.
Old 31 October 2018, 13:54
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Sure - if you want a Chinese laptop....
You'll be hard pressed to list a computer that isn't made in China or has a majority of the components made there. Pretty sure even Intel outsources these days.

Apple anything in NOT American *mfg* - despite the hype (Foxxcon).

I would say your best bet (if this "Chinese" thing bothers you) is a Samsung (S Korea) - but I can *guarantee* it's mostly Chinese. Sony (Japanese) stopped making computers.

OP: Just go on Amazon and sort by screen size and price - there's probably an affordable Asus that will do the job - you're requirements are *very minimal* (ie. you won't need a $2500 Ultrabook)
Old 31 October 2018, 14:20
The Sagacious One

I have been tickled pink with my Dell XPS 13". It has won best Small laptop the past few years. A really big screen for such a small platform.
Old 31 October 2018, 14:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjohn View Post
Gents,

Any input on decent laptops would be appreciated. I am not a gamer nor do I do any kind of crazy high speed processing. Smaller screens not acceptable. Will be using for invoices, some youtube viewing, surfing the net and some power point applications. I understand Lenovo's are pretty decent for the price. I would have to assume all are programmed with Win 10 these days. Thanks in advance....
Take a look at Chromebooks.

Not sure what Invoices mean so that may not work for you.

For all other items you listed they do very well at a great price point.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 31 October 2018, 16:29
Been There Done That

I have a 10 yr old Macbook Pro, 13". still running like a champ, so the hardware is still good. Software updates, to include OS upgrades are free, and have been for the life of the 'puter. I'm able to do any and all work on it that I've needed, and Apple's Works (Office analog) are all compatible with Office files, and can save as Office files. most vendor software is now compatible with Mac, but even if not, you can easily set up and run a partition and load an MS OS. I had to do this with some .mil software, back when. the short version though is, you can plug in a new mac and get right to work with 90-99% of what you've described without add on software it sounds like.

and a 13" travels well, for what it's worth.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 31 October 2018, 17:19
Nexus Schemer

You can also find certified used macs to make the price more appealing. Like me driver says. They run for ever so depending on the price getting a certified used machine might be up you alley.

I’ve been an windows guy for years. But now that I have my Mac I kick myself for not doing it sooner
Old 31 October 2018, 18:32
Proud wearer of a Beard.

I have been using various non-Apple laptops for the last 15 years or so. On average, they have all lasted 2 years, and are ssslllloooow if I have a reasonable amount of programs open at once, (Outlook, Word, PDF, Browser, Excel).

Start of this year, I went to the Macbook Pro, and the difference in speed with multiple programs open at once is AMAZING!

I also don't know a single person who has had their Macbook die within 2 years.

So, Macbook Pro from me.
Old 31 October 2018, 19:00
Been There Done That

Surface Pro (tablet with a keyboard, pen (stylus), and mouse.
Old 1 November 2018, 07:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Surface Pro (tablet with a keyboard, pen (stylus), and mouse.
I buy tech stuff all the time, just to F around with. I got the old Surface III right before they became unavailable - they are pretty nice (and mine is just the Quad Core Atom with 4 Gigs RAM and 64Gig SSD).

So yeah - look at the Surface line (I think Costco has some) if you're going to go high end.
Old 1 November 2018, 18:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
there's probably an affordable Asus that will do the job - you're requirements are *very minimal* (ie. you won't need a $2500 Ultrabook)
That's what I did. Last year I bought a 13" ASUS for ~$250. 8GB of RAM and a 1 TB HD. I use it mostly when I travel (or sitting on the couch), and I store all my information on the web, so if it gets broken I won't get all butt hurt. I use it for MS Office, email, web surfing, and it does all those things just fine.
Old 1 November 2018, 19:51
Confirmed User

I buy Sager/Clevo laptops from xoticpc. You get nothing but Operating system and office as required. They are a very easy company to deal with, great customer service etc. I have had my Sager np5160 since march 2011. Baterry is dead, but still works gretat.
They are a gaming company, but have non gaming laptops too.. look at their low priced sagers.. i love the fact there is no bloatware, and you can upgrade, customize.
Old 1 November 2018, 19:56
Confirmed User

I have a Dell Insperion 17", but about to pull the trigger on a HP or Asus Chromebook. May want to check them out.
Old 1 November 2018, 21:54
Important nobody

Thanks for the replys. More research for me but some good leads. Appreciate it.
Best
John
Old 2 November 2018, 08:22
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
That's what I did. Last year I bought a 13" ASUS for ~$250. 8GB of RAM and a 1 TB HD. I use it mostly when I travel (or sitting on the couch), and I store all my information on the web, so if it gets broken I won't get all butt hurt. I use it for MS Office, email, web surfing, and it does all those things just fine.
Yeah, they used to be called "Netbooks" (The EeePC started it) - they get the job done for anything online. I use laptops as part of a product I sell, and always just buy the cheapest 11" on Amazon - Asus, Acer, and Lenovo have always done the job - even the "refurbs". I think the lowest I paid at one time was ~$150! They are commodity Items now.
Old 5 November 2018, 13:19
Been There Done That

I had an upper end Lenovo take a shit (battery refused to charge, even with replaced components) after 9 months of moderate use. I won't be purchasing Lenovo again, despite some of their models receiving outstanding reviews (X1).

I have an old Dell Precision with upgraded components (ram, SSD), and it simply refuses to die. MS software fuckups notwithstanding, it runs all modern productivity software flawlessly. I will replace it for windows-based software eventually, but it does everything I need without a hiccup. The downside is it's big (17"), and heavy. If you don't care about MacOS, or don't want to pay the Apple tax, you can find these on eBay from reputable sellers for dirt cheap prices.

For mobility, my wife and I both use MacBook Pros. They're expensive, but worth it.
Old 8 November 2018, 08:34
Authorized Personnel

Big fan of the MacBook 13". When I was a consultant, it was the perfect size for a lot of travel.

Our new posting rules