Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 20 October 2015, 09:39
Been There Done That

NG SF to Active Duty ascensions

Is anybody out there involved with the program at Bragg where they take NG guys who for whatever reason want to try to get on active duty?

I have a good friend there right now who is an 18F trying to retain his MOS when he goes back to an ODA, and apparently that fate is in doubt. He's a great dude, very intelligent, and made a hell of an 18F, including doing the job during one of his 3 combat deployments. It would be a waste for him to have to revert to his old MOS just because he is National Guard. (and he went to the course after I did, so it wasn't the old ONI course with paper maps and soviet symbols and whatnot). So if somebody works there or knows somebody there, please PM me so I can vouch for this guy.
22 Aug 17
Old 20 October 2015, 10:35
Been There Done That

Bump

Last edited by Stopp700; 20 October 2015 at 10:39. Reason: better to keep it to myself
Old 20 October 2015, 10:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Bump
Uh-oh. Must have been pretty good for a self-edit.

Come on, be like me and just let all the ugliness flow.
22 Aug 17
Old 20 October 2015, 13:06
Been There Done That

I'm in the same boat. I was an active duty 18B, then joined the guard and reclassified as an 18F. I've been in an Information Operations unit (18F slotted position) for the last 3 years and now it's been announced that my unit is going away in January.

I've been talking to an active duty recruiter for a bit now and he seems to think that I can go back active. I'm shooting for January.

I'm pretty sure I'd lose my rank, SFC, and to the best of my knowledge I didn't think that SSG's could serve as Foxes on ODA's so I may have to revert to 18B until I picked up SFC again.

So, I'm tagging this post to glean some information on what to expect.

Last edited by Bettendorf; 20 October 2015 at 13:13.
Old 20 October 2015, 20:03
Been There Done That

Just my thoughts...

Who cares if they make a guy re-class to a prior MOS from 18F? Once you have graduated the SFISC, you have checked that block. Let them re-class you, and then, once you have finished the accession process back to AD, drop a 4187 to change your MOS to 18F. It's not like you would have to go back thru the SFISC again.

Bettendorf- Nothing is set in stone, everything is waiverable. It's a negotiation. If AD wants you bad enough, they will let you retain your rank and MOS. If not, see above. Contact DSOP and have a conversation about what's possible, then start the painful process of dealing with a recruiter. Expect recruiters to blow you off, as they don't get credit for prior-service folks, so recruiters see you as a pile of paperwork more complicated than a first-term enlistee, and they get nothing for doing all the paperwork. Too bad. Be persistent and make them do it.
Old 20 October 2015, 20:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Just my thoughts...

Who cares if they make a guy re-class to a prior MOS from 18F? Once you have graduated the SFISC, you have checked that block. Let them re-class you, and then, once you have finished the accession process back to AD, drop a 4187 to change your MOS to 18F. It's not like you would have to go back thru the SFISC again.

Bettendorf- Nothing is set in stone, everything is waiverable. It's a negotiation. If AD wants you bad enough, they will let you retain your rank and MOS. If not, see above. Contact DSOP and have a conversation about what's possible, then start the painful process of dealing with a recruiter. Expect recruiters to blow you off, as they don't get credit for prior-service folks, so recruiters see you as a pile of paperwork more complicated than a first-term enlistee, and they get nothing for doing all the paperwork. Too bad. Be persistent and make them do it.
They are actually talking about making him go back through SFISC.

I told him he was high on fucking drugs to switch from guard SF to active, when I even had a job lined up for him. But it's what he wants, so...
22 Aug 17
Old 20 October 2015, 20:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
They are actually talking about making him go back through SFISC.
Who is? Accessions? Good luck getting a hard school slot for a guy who has already graduated the school. I find it more likely they would talk about him auditing a class, basically meaning hang around the schoolhouse a bit to get re-blued. They sometimes do that with Bs, Cs, Ds, and Es.
Old 20 October 2015, 21:08
Confirmed User

I didn't lose shit when I went AD. As a SFC I kept my MOS, TIS & TIG. The MOS shit sounds hokey, however it is up to the individual committees as to what is required to recertify in your MOS. When I went through; 18B - repeat entire course, 18C - repeat wks 1-5, 18D - if you were current, nothing at all, if not, repeat entire course, 18E - nothing at all. No 18Fs went through during my six months there. Also, they do not want you. They are pretty clear about that. The board will tell you straight up, you need to prove to them that you deserve the privilege to return to AD. Not to say that they are hostile, just do not expect them to roll out the red carpet. As for whether or not it is worth the hassle depends on your individual circumstances. Close to retirement, say 5yrs or less, absolutely. Have an EFM, probably a good choice. Got ten years to go and single, stay in the NG.

x/S
Old 22 October 2015, 17:08
In Vino Veritas

Lightbulb

I was looking at the process last summer and have the packet. It says clearly that you cannot assess on AD as an 18F. You must assess into your original MOS. As for rank and what not that is up to HRC (?) when you return to AD before you get to Bragg.

A little birdie who would sit in as a board member told me that most NG guys do not have a problem assess into AD. IIRC in his time sitting on the boards they told one former AD guy to kick rocks. I don't have the current MOS phase info but it is dependent on the committee. Of course the 18B course was having everyone go through again... I'll never know why 18B's have to be such assholes.

To dove tail with that, the board can give what you want. Saaaay like you want to go to X SFG and get the 18F course before you PCS there. In the end it's SWC and I'd feel more comfortable playing the lottery in Nigeria...
Old 22 October 2015, 19:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
. Of course the 18B course was having everyone go through again... I'll never know why 18B's have to be such assholes.
Cause it is easy to forget how to, only training one weekend a month in the Guard, disassemble and reassemble an Ak-47.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22 October 2015, 19:21
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Cause it is easy to forget how to, only training one weekend a month in the Guard, disassemble and reassemble an Ak-47.
LOL, things I learned on the light side that I've used on a team...3? I mean, there was that one time I had to assemble and disassemble the trigger mech on a M-14 in 2 min...
Old 22 October 2015, 21:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
LOL, things I learned on the light side that I've used on a team...3? I mean, there was that one time I had to assemble and disassemble the trigger mech on a M-14 in 2 min...
Wait. You too? I thought I was the only one that did that!
Old 23 October 2015, 15:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
I was looking at the process last summer and have the packet. It says clearly that you cannot assess on AD as an 18F. You must assess into your original MOS. As for rank and what not that is up to HRC (?) when you return to AD before you get to Bragg.

A little birdie who would sit in as a board member told me that most NG guys do not have a problem assess into AD. IIRC in his time sitting on the boards they told one former AD guy to kick rocks. I don't have the current MOS phase info but it is dependent on the committee. Of course the 18B course was having everyone go through again... I'll never know why 18B's have to be such assholes.

To dove tail with that, the board can give what you want. Saaaay like you want to go to X SFG and get the 18F course before you PCS there. In the end it's SWC and I'd feel more comfortable playing the lottery in Nigeria...
Thanks for the info!
Old 23 October 2015, 16:54
Been There Done That

He's coming on as an 18F. Going to be the first "test case" for it. Guess he did well in his interview with the committie.
22 Aug 17
Old 23 October 2015, 18:18
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
I'd feel more comfortable playing the lottery in Nigeria...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
He's coming on as an 18F. Going to be the first "test case" for it. Guess he did well in his interview with the committie.
Maybe my uncle did leave me $30M in a bank in Nigeria...

Or that's just SWC talk for, "we need 18F's".
Old 23 October 2015, 19:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Maybe my uncle did leave me $30M in a bank in Nigeria...

Or that's just SWC talk for, "we need 18F's".
Or, "Finally, someone who is not going to complain when we make them give the SHARP powerpoint".

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 23 October 2015, 20:18
Been There Done That

Or maybe they were like "Holy shit, he might be a guard guy but at least he has something on his right sleeve, unlike all these chia pet growing motherfuckers that SWCC has been cranking out these past few years"
22 Aug 17

Our new posting rules