Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 24 October 2015, 21:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
For the record, I think you guys are being unnessecarily hard on this guy.
I disagree. I think he was given the professional courtesy of a blunt straightforward answer.

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 24 October 2015, 22:13
The Sagacious One

While there are officers that somehow gave up their commission to take a warrant or enlisted position in SF, those guys were SF qualified.

I will give a thousand dollars to anyone that brings me paperwork that says this guy can "transfer" from being a USMC Cobra Pilot to an SF unit.

Period.

I am not questioning his honor or his ability as an officer. But when he receives the same cogent answers from people I respect and then states "Maybe I am not smart enough to find the people that have the information I need..." That's passive aggressive condescension, all because someone gave him an answer he didn't want to hear. OK, maybe selfish was the wrong term, my deepest apologies to the verbalists here.
Old 24 October 2015, 22:29
Been There Done That

During my tenure as a Sage instructor, CPT Juan Lightfoot came thru my lane. Lightfoot transferred from being a USMC officer directly into the 18A pipeline. Shortly after graduating he was killed in a training accident.
Old 25 October 2015, 05:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
During my tenure as a Sage instructor, CPT Juan Lightfoot came thru my lane. Lightfoot transferred from being a USMC officer directly into the 18A pipeline. Shortly after graduating he was killed in a training accident.
I worked with Capt Lightfoot at 2d ANGLICO. Becoming am SF officer was a hard won dream of his. It meant the world to him.

RIP. Semper Fidelis.
Old 25 October 2015, 09:19
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I hope and pray he Rests Peacefully,

But there is a difference between the SF Pipeline for an Officer and and an NonQuall enlisted person being assigned to an SF Unit.
Old 28 October 2015, 10:40
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I hope and pray he Rests Peacefully,

But there is a difference between the SF Pipeline for an Officer and and an NonQuall enlisted person being assigned to an SF Unit.
That's the rub right there. Enlisted accession to officer/WO takes priority over everything, even the current contract in another service. Real world example: AD USMC SGT xfer to USA flight WO mid-enlistment.

As a former enlisted community manager, I helped many an E-Man get his bars, and I'm with TFG on this. I'll pay to see the instruction/regulation/order on how to go the other way as part of a positive career direction.
Old 29 October 2015, 14:32
My ERB's on SOCNET

Back in the days of 9-11, 5th GRP had a Flight WO and previous SF Enlisted bubba walk down the street from 160th to come back to the teams as it were... The timespan on this could be measured in weeks (even though someone at GRP erroneously decided to entertain the notion). Officers are closely managed and assigned in my experience. I did meet one 160th WO who had been a USMC Major, but based on the words of the TF bubbas in this thread, I sure wouldn't plan on that COA.
Old 29 October 2015, 18:33
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2k View Post
Back in the days of 9-11, 5th GRP had a Flight WO and previous SF Enlisted bubba walk down the street from 160th to come back to the teams as it were... The timespan on this could be measured in weeks (even though someone at GRP erroneously decided to entertain the notion). Officers are closely managed and assigned in my experience. I did meet one 160th WO who had been a USMC Major, but based on the words of the TF bubbas in this thread, I sure wouldn't plan on that COA.
Kinda confused, Troy. 5th Grp hasn't had "flight WO's" since August,1989, IIRC. What were the 5W's on this one?

But, that aside, I have knowledge of many "other service" guys in Army Aviation. The thing is, once the Army sends you to Flight School, regardless of Service you WERE IN, or which Branch of the Army you came from, your ass belongs to them, and since they are spending millions of their budget on your training, they AIN'T gonna let you go back to being anything else lightly. (God forbid you wash out)

As far as the OP, going directly to 160th, from what I read on the Internet, unless the MF'er walks on water, the only way you will make it to the 160th, is to prove yourself to the rest of Army Aviation and then assess. Notice the emphasis on Army.

There are variables, but rare. From what I read anyhow.
Old 30 October 2015, 23:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
As far as the OP, going directly to 160th, from what I read on the Internet, unless the MF'er walks on water, the only way you will make it to the 160th, is to prove yourself to the rest of Army Aviation and then assess. Notice the emphasis on Army.

There are variables, but rare. From what I read anyhow.
That is also what I have read on the Interwebs...
Old 1 November 2015, 09:58
My ERB's on SOCNET

Quote:
But, that aside, I have knowledge of many "other service" guys in Army Aviation. The thing is, once the Army sends you to Flight School, regardless of Service you WERE IN, or which Branch of the Army you came from, your ass belongs to them, and since they are spending millions of their budget on your training, they AIN'T gonna let you go back to being anything else lightly. (God forbid you wash out)
What you said is also basically the gist of my anecdote; SF enlisted goes Flight WO and ends up back at Campbell, has some weird shit go down and returns to 5th GRP thinking he is gonna get some with the 9-11 deployment. The only amazing part is 5th GRP bought off on it; when every other former/has been/almost was/kinda served long tabber in America was calling GRP HQ, I have no idea why this WO was successful in getting 'back' on a team, even if it was so short-lived. I think this guy even made it to the K2 site in U-stan. Flight branch eventually called BS and he re-deployed to answer to his real bosses. I can't imagine that went well.

My point being that Os are bought and paid for, and breaking out of that food chain is a bitch.
Old 1 November 2015, 10:26
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2k View Post
What you said is also basically the gist of my anecdote; SF enlisted goes Flight WO and ends up back at Campbell, has some weird shit go down and returns to 5th GRP thinking he is gonna get some with the 9-11 deployment. The only amazing part is 5th GRP bought off on it; when every other former/has been/almost was/kinda served long tabber in America was calling GRP HQ, I have no idea why this WO was successful in getting 'back' on a team, even if it was so short-lived. I think this guy even made it to the K2 site in U-stan. Flight branch eventually called BS and he re-deployed to answer to his real bosses. I can't imagine that went well.

My point being that Os are bought and paid for, and breaking out of that food chain is a bitch.
John Mulholland was the source of this. When they geared up for Iraq, they wanted guys with experience in The Legion, not just a long tabber.
Old 1 November 2015, 23:41
Been There Done That

There was a prior enlisted SFer that went Aviation WO and came back to Group as a CW4 (if I recall correctly). All he had to do was go through O&I and the SF WO basic course, which he did. I think he went to 5th SFG. This was in the early 90's.
Old 2 November 2015, 00:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
There was a prior enlisted SFer that went Aviation WO and came back to Group as a CW4 (if I recall correctly). All he had to do was go through O&I and the SF WO basic course, which he did. I think he went to 5th SFG. This was in the early 90's.
Had a warrant in 1st Group the same somewhat. He had been an NCO in 7th Group, then went aviation, then after a few years flying decided he missed being in SF and came back to 1st Group as a 180A.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 November 2015, 09:50
The Sagacious One

To restate the obvious, all of the above situations started off with a guy already SF qualified.

So in another thread, we rake some poor kid over the coals for genuinely trying to do some research and this guy decides he should not have to endure the administrative and bureaucratic heartache of being a commissioned officer doing ANYTHING in the armed services. He then makes a passive aggressive comment about not being smart enough to find the right people? And then he gets a pass?

I guess I have just read too much about being an officer on the Internet to let it go unaddressed.
Old 2 November 2015, 22:45
Been There Done That

TFG, this slacker gets no pass. If he truly wants it he needs to walk into a recruiter's office and suck his ass just to get a chance at a shot.
Old 5 November 2015, 18:32

When someone is willing to give up a comfortable officer career to become an enlisted solder in SF, it speaks to the high regard SF is held to and how much people are will to sacrifice to be a part of SF. I went through SFAS with an 0-4 Chopper pilot who was transitioning to enlisted NGSF, and have heard of a number of officers that have given up commissions to go SF. To me this is commendable and rational because I too would have sacrificed almost anything to be SF. Although some might be motived to go SF because it’s good for their career or promotion chances, I would have extra trust and respect for a teammate that I new had sacrificed a successful career to get to my team.
Old 5 November 2015, 19:02
Been There Done That

It would be interesting for those that did make the transition, what is their perspective several years later? Regrets ("Man, I was a dumb ass") or satisfied, (best thing I ever did!") and no regrets at all.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Our new posting rules