Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 24 November 2015, 09:29
Drawing my cutlass

RIP Ryan Copeland

Two communities, SF and LE, lost a brother. Rest easy, warrior. Hopefully, Boris, will go to a good family.

http://m.hngnews.com/mcfarland_thist....html?mode=jqm

Quote:
McFarland Police officer Ryan Copeland - who ran the department's K9 unit with a German shepherd named Boris - died early Monday afternoon while he began his shift.

Copeland's vehicle was hit when a pick-up truck driven by Colleen M. Sutheimer of Fitchburg crashed head on with Copeland on County Road N in southeastern Dane County, just north of Edgerton.

Copeland, 33, died at the scene. A Janesville resident, he was with the McFarland Police Department since 2013.

Dane County Sheriff’s Office is investigating what caused Sutheimer, who was working for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and driving a DNR pick-up truck, to cross the centerline.

Copeland worked exclusively with the department's K9 Boris since October 2014. Since that time, Boris has been used frequently in drug sniffs and suspect searches with McFarland and other departments.

The dog lived with Copeland often so the officer could continue to train Boris. McFarland Police Chief Craig Sherven, however, said Copeland was on his way to picking up Boris at a kennel when the crash occurred.

"Officer Copeland was a huge part of our department and a very special young man," said Sherven. "I could talk about him all day. He did great work in the military. He was a very driven, very caring individual. He put 150 percent into every thing he did."

McFarland residents and organizations raised thousands of dollars for the police to get Boris. Copeland was eager to step forward and to develop the K9 program.

Village President Brad Czebotar said state government will be asked to fly flags at half mast in honor of Copeland.

Before joining McFarland Police in June 2013, Copeland served 10 years in the Army, including seven years as a Special Forces Green Beret sniper.

On Monday night, Czebotar named Copeland as the deceased McFarland officer at the beginning of a regularly scheduled Village Board meeting. At 6:30 p.m. Monday, McFarland police officers gathered privately in a conference room at the Municipal Center.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 24 November 2015, 09:57
Drawing my cutlass

One of his teammates wrote this heartfelt tribute. Passing it on:

America just lost a brilliant Special Forces Soldier, a dedicated Police Officer, a husband, a brother, a son, a teammate. Ryan you were a gifted shooter, a natural endurance athlete and you never accepted good enough.

To me, you were someone who could never die.

You were the epitome of "perfectionist". I'll never forget the day you and I walked into the team room together on our first day, neither of us knowing what to expect. I've always looked up to you in many ways and you will be forever truly missed by all of us. I'm blessed to have spent a couple days with you in Mcfarland and Milwaukee during my Challenge there. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Men like you turn the tide in battles and risk their own lives for others without hesitation. If I had to choose a guy to go to war with tomorrow, you top the list. America just lost someone truly, truly special.

De Opresso Liber

Rest in peace Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (22.5 KB, 292 views)

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 24 November 2015, 10:01
RIP Cass and SOTB

RIP Warrior
Old 24 November 2015, 10:05
Been There Done That

Sad story. RIP Soldier... DOL

Condolences out to family and friends...
Old 24 November 2015, 10:20
Authorized Personnel

Rest In Peace, Warrior!
Old 24 November 2015, 10:24
At the Barn

Just saw this come across my Facebook feed this morning. RIP warrior. Condolences to family and friends.
Old 24 November 2015, 10:30
Been There Done That

Lest we forget......................

Colleagues mourn fallen McFarland police officer Ryan Copeland

By Pete Zervakis

MCFARLAND (WKOW) – McFarland Police Chief Craig Sherven said the officer killed in Monday's car crash in the Town of Albion is 33-year old Ryan Copeland.

Sherven said Copeland was the 17-member McFarland Police Department's first ever K9 officer.

“My first thought was shock. Then a bit of disbelief, perhaps,” Sherven said.

He said Copeland was hard working and dedicated to his work with the police department.

“He had a lot of drive. A lot of initiative,” Sherven said. “He was the type of person that, if you gave him a job, he was going to get it done.”

“He poured his heart and soul into our K9 unit,” the Chief said. “He's going to leave a huge hole in this department that will take a long time to fill.”

At Monday night's Village Board meeting, elected officials paused for a moment of silence in Copeland's honor.

“It is with a heavy heart that I can confirm the McFarland Police Department lost one of its own today,” said Village President Brad Czebotar.

“I ask for your thoughts and prayers for the officer's family, and for other officers in the department as they deal with their loss,” Czebotar said.

Czebotar said “steps have been taken” to ask the Governor to call for flags around the state to be flown at half staff in Copeland's honor.

Sherven said he is also grateful to the Dane County Sheriff's Office. He said Dane County Deputies have picked up patrol shifts for McFarland Police Officers in the wake of the accident.

“They've done a fantastic job and have been here for us throughout,” Sherven said. “They're providing some patrol support for us and will continue to do so over the next hours to allow our staff some time to grieve and get used to this idea.”

Madison Police Lieutenant Kelly Donahue said law enforcement departments assisting one another is common in the wake of an officer falling in the line of duty.

“When officers need to come together, other departments are willing to step in and do what's required,” Donahue said.

Donahue said police officers around the state are mourning Copeland's death.

“It's somber. The saying is, it's not just that jurisdiction, but it's the whole community that loses an officer when we have one fall in the line of duty,” she said.

Donahue is involved with the Wisconsin Chapter of the organization Concerns of Police Survivors.

COPS provides support for the families and colleagues of officers killed in the line of duty.

“Basically it's peer support,” said Sauk County Deputy Harold Weinke, a COPS representative. “People that have just lost an officer in the line of duty are paired up and working with people that have also lost an officer.”

“Various groups grieve differently,” Weinke said. “A sibling will grieve differently than a parent, a parent is going to grieve differently than a spouse. So it helps when you can team up a parent with another parent, or a sibling with a sibling.”

He said COPS allows families of fallen law enforcement officers to receive comfort from those who've shared similar experiences.

“You know you're talking to somebody else that's been there, somebody that knows exactly what you're going through,” Weinke said.

Donahue said Wisconsin also boasts a Law Enforcement Death Response Team, made up of current and retired law enforcement officers, that can assist family members and co-workers following officer deaths.

Donahue said the LEDRT responds to line of duty deaths, as well as off-duty deaths and suicides.

Sherven said the LEDRT has been notified of Copeland's death and was in contact with the Village of McFarland's police force on Monday evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9319820_Gcopeland.jpg (19.2 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by agonyea; 24 November 2015 at 10:36.
Old 24 November 2015, 14:40
Been There Done That

RIP
Old 24 November 2015, 15:26
Been There Done That

Rest easy brother, you won't be forgotten!
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 24 November 2015, 15:36

RIP
Old 24 November 2015, 19:09

Rest in Peace Ryan Copeland. Thank you for your service to your country and community. Prayers out to friends and family.

Z
Old 24 November 2015, 20:16
Been There Done That

Rest in peace.
Old 24 November 2015, 20:55
Confirmed User

Rest In Peace, Warrior.
Old 24 November 2015, 21:39
Been There Done That

Rest in Peace Brother. DOL
Old 24 November 2015, 21:41
Authorized Personnel

RIP Soldier.
Old 1 December 2015, 07:46
Psalm 91:2

RIP Warrior. Thank you for your service. Prayers for family & friends:

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 1 December 2015, 09:35
Been There Done That

RIP

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.

Our new posting rules