Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Diving

Old 14 August 2017, 12:57
Drawing my cutlass

Icon5 Enriched Oxygen literature repository

Been diving EANx for the past few dives and I'm hooked. I have a million technical questions beyond the knowledge component that got me my certification and I've been searching for literature at the usual spots (NOAA, Navy), but I haven't found a comprehensive repository that I can dive into (pun not intended).

1. Does such an animal exist?
2. High on my list is finding out about the 'energy surge' that accompanies diving on EANx; no diver fatigue and it charges me up for a day or two after the dives. Can someone recommend a dive physiology manual that covers this?

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 31 August 2017, 13:39

I find the benefits of nitrox are limited to the 40 to 70 foot zone. That seems to be where it makes the biggest difference in bottom times. I also find that if I'm doing three or more dives a day, um exhausted no matter what mix I'm using. I'd be interested to hear what you come up with. I've read that the energy difference hasn't actually been quantified.
Old 1 September 2017, 10:25
Spice Weasel

I don't know how I missed this thread.

Rubicon Foundation has the most comprehensive research library I've come across. 221 articles on Nitrox alone.

One theory regarding the phenomenon you describe is that the higher O2 content ameliorates symptoms of subclinical decompression sickness, which includes fatigue, and which probably exists after every dive if bubble theory is correct.

NASA has very good research on DCS. We don't think about going from 1 ATA to zero ATA, but that's what they study. Air Force has also done some studies relating to rapid decompression at altitude, iirc. Michael Powell (a.k.a Dr. Deco on Scubaboard) worked for NASA and is one of the top SMEs, so you might want to check for his articles.
Old 10 September 2017, 16:04
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
I don't know how I missed this thread.

Rubicon Foundation has the most comprehensive research library I've come across. 221 articles on Nitrox alone.

One theory regarding the phenomenon you describe is that the higher O2 content ameliorates symptoms of subclinical decompression sickness, which includes fatigue, and which probably exists after every dive if bubble theory is correct.

NASA has very good research on DCS. We don't think about going from 1 ATA to zero ATA, but that's what they study. Air Force has also done some studies relating to rapid decompression at altitude, iirc. Michael Powell (a.k.a Dr. Deco on Scubaboard) worked for NASA and is one of the top SMEs, so you might want to check for his articles.
Thanks, counselor. Makes for good hurricane reading.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach

Our new posting rules