Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 19 June 2017, 20:24
Been There Done That

Question: Medical Education Priorities

Question for the folks on here.
If you were to use an hybrid (online/in person) medical course what would your priority be?

CMEs for Paramedic?
Graduate or Bachelor Education Certificate?
Graduate or Bachelor Degree?

And what are of focus would be most beneficial for you?
Travel & Tropical?
Austere/Improvised?
Prolonged Field Care?
Dive Medicine?
TCCC?

If there are other areas of interest I would like to hear about them. I am asking as a non-profit would like to get more SOF Medics enrolled, but would like to know what areas they should focus on that would be most attractive for those medics. Thanks.
Old 19 June 2017, 20:49
Been There Done That

That's a hard question, as necessity changes what you need at any given time.

CME can be hard to come by, and is always a good choice. Courses leading to certs are also good.

As far as courses for degrees...actual medical/paramedical topics related to skills and practice, no. I would absolutely see value in degree-type courses in Emergency Management, Medical Administration, etc.
Old 20 June 2017, 08:26
Been There Done That

Soft skills - bedside manner, if you will. There are plenty of options for most all of the topics you listed, but the soft skills of medical care would seem to be a target rich environment.
Old 21 June 2017, 21:53

What are your ambitions? The nursing field is extremely short handed right now. This makes it a great time to get in. You can literally negotiate you starting wage. Within reason. We have nurses switching healthcare organisations everyday for more pay and better benefits.
Old 31 August 2017, 13:22
Been There Done That

I apologize for the late reply

Here is the deal,

A retired 18D has formed a non-profit online/in person/hybrid school that covers TCCC, Austere, PFC, etc....but it is based in Europe and in order to keep US Military interested he would like to know where to best invest in the accreditation for the first two years and build on it from there. It is a non-profit so funding is limited.

The initial cost for recognition in Europe was high and I informed him that there would be a lot of interest if he could qualify for CMEs for EMT-P and become eligible for the GI Bill and/or Tuition Assistance.

In short I am trying to figure out what courses that are usually not available to EMT-P's, ATPs, etc...would be of the most interest for CMEs, Degrees, Certificates.

Choices are of course:
EMT-P
Tropical & Travel Medicine
Austere Medicine
Dive Medicine
Prolonged Field Care
TCCC

What else besides the above would be of great interest and what would be the most interesting of the choices given too?
Old 31 August 2017, 14:58
Anesthetized User

Paramedics can audit an ATLS class.

The Royal College of Surgeons had a Surgical Skills for Paramedics course back in the day. It taught:

Sewing
Central Lines-Femoral
Cutdowns
Escharotomy
Surgical Airways
Chest Tubes

Well, it's a lot more compact than the flaming sword, but it's not nearly as impressive. Just doesn't have that Wrath-of-the-Almighty edge to it. I mean, come on, how am I supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked with this thing?

Support SOCNET.
Old 31 August 2017, 15:23
Been There Done That

Yup, we can audit an ATLS, but the other topics you mention we get as military medics already. So I was wondering more along the lines of what would be something that is a "two for". Something that elicits interests in SOF and other military medics and that also counts as CMEs in the US or the EU.
Old 5 September 2017, 18:47
Been There Done That

Nothing? No interest? I really would love to hear what folks find interesting enough to attend or use online or both. Thanks!
Old 6 September 2017, 20:14
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic5392 View Post
What else besides the above would be of great interest and what would be the most interesting of the choices given too?
Austere Medicine

The other topics you listed are being covered fairly well as it is, but I always see/hear the above primary-care-related skills lacking. The "non-sexy" stuff.

Also some of the PFC things like Foleys, hygiene, bed sore maintenance, etc etc. The "nursing" stuff.

Only tough thing is that all of these topics only fulfil a fraction of US EMS personnel CE requirements (ie the category that these fall into have a rather low hour limit with the majority focus of other hours being on more traditional EMS stuff).
Old 19 September 2017, 16:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Austere Medicine

The other topics you listed are being covered fairly well as it is, but I always see/hear the above primary-care-related skills lacking. The "non-sexy" stuff.

Also some of the PFC things like Foleys, hygiene, bed sore maintenance, etc etc. The "nursing" stuff.

Only tough thing is that all of these topics only fulfil a fraction of US EMS personnel CE requirements (ie the category that these fall into have a rather low hour limit with the majority focus of other hours being on more traditional EMS stuff).
Thanks! Appreciate the feed back
Old 19 September 2017, 19:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic5392 View Post
Nothing? No interest? I really would love to hear what folks find interesting enough to attend or use online or both. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That's a hard question, as necessity changes what you need at any given time.

Our new posting rules