Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 11 September 2017, 17:09
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
There are plenty of resume' writers out there, but they won't necessarily do the best job for what the OP is asking. Anyone can write a resume', but that doesn't mean it will meet the requirements wanted per se as in USAjobs!
What kinds of criteria do they set for their resumes?
Old 11 September 2017, 17:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
What kinds of criteria do they set for their resumes?
Have you ever applied for a grant or have any involvement with applying for them? They are very specific. It's much the same with their site.

You have to be very specific with your wording just to make it past the trash can! It's not like simply going to Indeed and sending a CV and Resume' for a job. Just missing the keywords can end your hopes right there. There are people out there that "specialize" in sites like those. That's why they can charge so much and still keep busy.
Old 11 September 2017, 20:47
Been There Done That

I suppose for everyone who is woofing about paying someone to write a very specific resume, tailored for a specific position, that will be analyzed by a program first, a person with no relation to the job listing second...yeah...you guys just go use your ninja skills for some cyber Kentucky windage. Good lord.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 11 September 2017, 21:41
Authorized Personnel

My recommendations
1) Do the USA Jobs resume yourself, it pretty intuitive. And in the end, as long as you hit all the points and are overall qualified, it's a crap shoot anyway.

2) Pay someone to do your civilian resume. It will pay dividends in the end.

Yes, I had a professional do my civilian resume and yes I did my USA jobs by myself. I did get a job thru USAjobs and civilian sector

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 12 September 2017, 06:46
Administrator

Why are people who have never applied or used USAJOBS providing input on how to prepare a resume for USAJOBS in this thread?
Old 12 September 2017, 07:23
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
If you are applying to Google or any other tech firm, the first eyes on your resume won't be in Seattle, but Bangledesh. IDK if USAJobs offshores their HR functions, but Silicon Valley sure does so be prepared to have your resume read by a groundshitter who barely speaks English before any interviews happen.
I was just making an analogy. For the Air Force, the first wicket sits in AFPC in San Antonio. For certain Intell jobs in the Army the first wicket is in Huachuca, AZ. The point being, he may be The Perfect guy for the job, but if his resume never makes it past the HR Porch Dragons, everyone loses.

Another thing to be aware of is that for every job opening, there are THOUSANDS of people who apply and the hiring manager may only want to see the top 10 resumes...at my previous unit, we announced a job and had to whittle down to the top 20-to get five to interview, but about a thousand applied. I'll never know if someone more qualified applied because we only get the resumes that AFPC sends...on top of that, some folks just randomly apply...like why would a medical professional apply for an Intell job? Waste of time.

Finally, another thing I saw is that some people think the hiring manager can translate their background into the job, but that won't happen. Example, a woman I know who works as a counselor in the Drug and Alcohol program with the Army kept applying for jobs that were outside her specialty. Did she likely have the requisite soft and hard skills? Yes...but she simply would not write to the KSAs...everything she wrote in her resume was about Drug/Alcohol counseling...not that she had research, investigation and analysis skills...which was what she kept applying for. She is still in her same job...but I tried to help her, she just wouldn't make her resume relevant to the job she was seeking. I have no doubt her resume was tossed aside at the HR level...since the advertised job had nothing to do with drugs/alcohol counseling...
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 12 September 2017, 07:24
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Guy View Post
Did a separate USAJOBS resume for every application. I went so far as highlighting in bold the exact words of the KSA for each one. The job description for each job is slightly modified from the performance evaluations (OER/SEER, etc.). Takes time but you can DIY. Remember, the resume' is only the entry key and is initially read by admin types (big time - who you know). Good luck.
What he said.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 12 September 2017, 10:53

My biggest thing is I'm looking too bridge the gab from the military-civilian to federal. I was a Mp in the Army now I do Ep work; looking to get in to the Same line of work in the federal side.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post

Another thing to be aware of is that for every job opening, there are THOUSANDS of people who apply and the hiring manager may only want to see the top 10 resumes...at my previous unit, we announced a job and had to whittle down to the top 20-to get five to interview, but about a thousand applied. I'll never know if someone more qualified applied because we only get the resumes that AFPC sends...on top of that, some folks just randomly apply...like why would a medical professional apply for an Intell job? Waste of time..
Same with the Army unless you specifically ask for all of them or XXX number of them to go thru. Even then, CPOL tends to be a PITA about it.

That was the other problem we had for the 2-3 jobs I posted on here. Because they were in Europe, we had a ton of people applying for them that had no business applying for them. We had a couple of people claiming they were making well over a 100k but wanted a GS07 DACP Desk SGT's job and were willing to go to the Army Police Academy at Leonard Wood? Give me a fucking break.
Old 12 September 2017, 21:40
Anesthetized User

My resume is one simple page. My CV is 5 pages and very detailed. I ask for a duty statement for each position I apply for and pick 15 key words and add them to my Statement of Qualifications, along with a bunch of other fluffy words that make managers feel good that must accompany each app.

Spending good money for a CV, especially if you cannot do it yourself, is money well spent. If you can do it your self, then do it.

I have no qualms about dropping 500 for a good, specific, position oriented CV if I cannot do it myself. Especially if it allows me to adjust it on my own to other jobs.

But, this is for state LE service.

Well, it's a lot more compact than the flaming sword, but it's not nearly as impressive. Just doesn't have that Wrath-of-the-Almighty edge to it. I mean, come on, how am I supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked with this thing?

Support SOCNET.
Old 13 September 2017, 00:21
Confirmed User

There is a whole thread on USAJOBS HERE

Having been hired through USAJOBS and been a hiring manager through the system, I'll summarize a few notes from the thread

1) The system is a storefront only. Each Federal agency HR shop has their back end in USAJOBS.

2) Do homework on the agency you're applying to and customize your Cover Letter and CV/Resume to the position as noted.

3) Read through all the administrative caveats; just because its posted on USAJOBS doesn't mean its open to anyone. There will be a disclaimer on who is eligible to apply and the whom the job is open to. It can be open to every US Citizen, Federal employees, the agency specific employees (say Navy) or even a smaller organizational unit (say re-assignment opportunity internally or an in-house promotional process).

4) Since USAJOBS is a storefront only, many of the characteristics folks ascribe to USAJOBS is really a reflection of the HR shop for that agency or its unit. Hence, in the federal landscape, there is a A LOT of variability. In short, don't judge the book by its cover.

Good luck.
Old Yesterday, 22:19
BTDT

Virtual Session: Writing Your Federal Resume

https://hru dot gov/Studio_Recruitme...sion.aspx?vs=3
Old Today, 07:15
The Sagacious One

I used to write resumes, both civilian and .gov. I made more money at that than I did working for a contractor for about a year.

Have someone do the first one professionally. You then get the sentence syntax, the flow and a darn good example. Update it as needed for subsequent jobs.

Some folks write better than others, but why piss away potentially good jobs while you negotiate the learning curve?
Old Today, 08:23
Been There Done That

I have helped some people with usajobs and others have stated if you don't list exactly what they are asking you will be overlooked. Don't chase pipe dream jobs but if you feel you are qualified - look at the questions they ask, and copy and paste those into a new format saying basically you can do them in the resume. The people who have done that have all gotten interviews. They may not always be hired, but being referred and moving forward helps you learn how to go through the interview questions and other points. Usually these questions are standard bullets 1-5 from no experience to expert - turn that into a bullet point on resume and as they said keep going, add more pages some of these are 3, 4, 5 6+ pages. Not some 1 page resume everyone says to keep. Don't just submit same resume for every usajobs you find, customize it - save that version as the xyz job version, or the abc job version etc. GL.
Old Today, 20:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj the pj View Post
Don't chase pipe dream jobs
This can't be overstated....if you do four years in the military and get out as an E-4, don't expect to get a GS-13 job right out of the gate.

Our new posting rules