Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 6 June 2015, 16:36
Been There Done That

Tales of the Green Berets

Just picked up this 1965 comic/graphic novel by Robin Moore, and illustrated by Joe Kubert. Different storyline that his renowned book, "The Green Berets".

Just a but of history, and interesting to read the perspective from 1965 in comic book form. Some of it is a bit over the top like "all Green Berets are trained to use the long bow, crossbow, and garrote, both offensively and defensively"

But a bit of history and cool to have in my collection.

Brings back memories of reading Robin Moore's "the Green Berets" and JC Pollock's "Mission MIA", back in 10th grade, which greatly influenced me joining the Army and going SF down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 6 June 2015 at 16:44.
Old 17 September 2015, 03:23
On the Extract Bird

What other works of literature are solid depictions of Army SF lifestyle? I own Lions of Kandahar, 100 Victories, the book about the ODAs from Group 5 that ingress-ed into Afghanistan on horseback and finally Level Zero Heroes, which although a MARSOC tome, I find it similar to the aforementioned titles.
Old 17 September 2015, 05:39
The Sagacious One

As the wars continue to wind down (If it ever happens) "The Lions of Kandahar". and "The Only Thing Worth Dying For" are good depictions of life with the indeg, minus the gun fights. Diplomacy, tolerance, problem solving and leadership. At least that's what I read on the Internet.
Old 17 September 2015, 11:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
What other works of literature are solid depictions of Army SF lifestyle?
Blackjack-34 (previously titled No Greater Love), by James C. Donahue

1967 Vietnam; one day in combat with an SF led Mobile Guerrilla Force. The book opens with the author (senior company USSF medic and platoon APL) waking up in his company patrol base hammock at first light. It then takes takes the reader through the minute to minute events of an all-day meeting engagement with an NVA battalion. It ends with the narrator MEDEVACed at the end of that day. A great read for SF medics: mass casualties, multi-tasking under close enemy fire, casualty collection points, field expedient trauma medicine.

Should be required reading for all serving and potential SF Soldiers. A timeless tale of an SF team leading (not advising) indigenous troops under fire.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackjack-34-p...0_SR192%2C320_

Last edited by Astronomy; 17 September 2015 at 11:12.
Old 17 September 2015, 18:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Brings back memories of reading Robin Moore's "the Green Berets" and JC Pollock's "Mission MIA", back in 10th grade, which greatly influenced me joining the Army and going SF down the road.
Do you have a note from your mother saying that you can come out and play with the big kids?
Old 17 September 2015, 18:47
Authorized Personnel

all bullshit aside aside there are a shit load of good and mediocre books out there. Amazon lists 7654 books under US Special Forces.... these are some I have read, that are not mentioned above.

Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at WarJul 24, 2007
by Frank Antenori and Hans Halberstadt

The Quiet Professional: Major Richard J. Meadows of the U.S. Army Special Forces (American Warriors Series)Aug 17, 2011
by Alan Hoe and Peter J. USA (Ret.) Schoomaker

The COMPANY THEY KEEP Mar 17, 1997
by Anna Simons

Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces Mar 5, 2009
by Linda Robinson

Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan May 5, 2009
by Doug Stanton
Old 17 September 2015, 20:44

I read "The Green Berets" twice and gave it as a gift 3 times. One of my favorite books.
Old 17 September 2015, 22:48
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetPara View Post

The Quiet Professional: Major Richard J. Meadows of the U.S. Army Special Forces (American Warriors Series)Aug 17, 2011
by Alan Hoe and Peter J. USA (Ret.) Schoomaker
I didn't know about this one. Just ordered it, thanks.
Old 17 September 2015, 23:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetPara View Post
The COMPANY THEY KEEP Mar 17, 1997
by Anna Simons

Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces Mar 5, 2009
by Linda Robinson
I found a printer's version of the first one long ago in a book store - pre publication paperback. Still have it.

Both are very good reads. I obviously can't speak to their accuracy but they read very well and are insightful.
Old 19 September 2015, 02:19
Anni
Visitor

Five Years to Freedom: The True Story of a Vietnam POW by Col. James N. Rowe. This is an iconic SF book about his endurance of five horrible years as a Viet Cong prisoner. It is a must read. Colonel Rowe of course was a prime developer of the SERE course.
Old 19 September 2015, 06:59
Been There Done That

It's too bad the time allotted for garroting training has been replaced by pine cone picking up.
22 Aug 17
Old 14 November 2015, 03:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
Blackjack-34 (previously titled No Greater Love), by James C. Donahue

A great read for SF medics: mass casualties, multi-tasking under close enemy fire, casualty collection points, field expedient trauma medicine.
Not to mention doing all that with a bullet lodged in his head! Just finished the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Our new posting rules