Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Closed Thread

Old 18 October 2015, 14:15

Sotic and socdivers qualified units

Hello,
I have been searching through this board for previously answered questions which might relate to my question and have found none. If you know of a better place where I should ask please let me know.
I am going to join the army next month and want to know where the guys without ranger tabs or sf tabs go with these quals (army airborne, SERE C , sotic sniper, socdiver, ect..
As far as I can tell 18 X is my only option I am wondering if there are any solid ranger teams (or platoons ?) That have high deployment rates and good funding and primarily used for special missions . Are there any units that consistently use/practice their dive capability OUTSIDE of odas?
Thanks for your time,
Old 18 October 2015, 15:00
The Sagacious One

You need to take a knee and drink some water. While you may be able to get an 18X contract, getting into a unit that does "Special Missions" will come later, if at all.

Read more, Post less, the information you seek is here. Look at the last thread started by a guy in your shoes. That's not how to go about gathering the information you seek. Have you spoken to a recruiter?

Welcome to SOCNET.
Old 18 October 2015, 16:32

Thank you for the tactical advice and taking the time to respond, im sure you have forgotten more than I ever knew; however as a prior reconnaissance marine with a bit of time and experience under my boots (im sure not as much as you) and having spent my EAS time as a sniper instructor and combat dive refresher and DPD maintenance guy, im not really interested in information about the 18x program. I want info on the units who currently have active dive programs and other key points as I asked in my earlier posts. While I also appreciate you pointing me in the direction of the previous post, said post was already read and did not have the answer to my question.

I will reiterate my question in a different way.
Where will the army send an E5 sotic sniper with sere, socdive, basic jump from what I can tell SF is the only group that cares about those skillsets.

Im hoping to interact with current soldiers who already have all above certs so I dont get the "well I knew a guy" information.
Old 18 October 2015, 16:36
Been There Done That

Where would the USMC send a former Army E5 with similar quals?

BTW, TFG has all of those quals and then some, and you just interacted with him...

Your SA is...lacking...
Old 18 October 2015, 16:37
RIP Cass and SOTB

If you don't enlist as 18x, you will probably be sent to the "Big" Army as spend time as a grunt in the 82nd or 173rd. You can drop a packet for Ranger Regiment. The Army isn't going to just look at your schools and hand you a spot in a high speed unit. RASP or SFAS seems like your beat bet. Unless you really enjoy being a grunt.
Old 18 October 2015, 16:47
Been There Done That

Go to 75th, prove yourself to them, doors will open. RRD isn't a bad place...
Old 18 October 2015, 17:02
Old Scroll

Being prior service from a different service sortta resets the clock back to zero.

You'll be considered a boot, but with some training. You'll get no preferential treatment at all.

As has been suggested, enlist 18X or Ranger Option 40 and see if you've got what it takes.

Other than that, it's just a bunch of hot air.

Good Luck

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 October 2015, 17:43

Thanks for the viable responses b 2/75, 275 rltw, and uga 11b that was the info I was looking for ! I may end up going to a line unit as i never spent time in the grunts, leading any type of soldiers is an honor. Sadly some of the earlier posts just want to have a dick measuring contest with patronizing comments.
Old 18 October 2015, 17:47
Another pool cleaner

You fucking idiot.

You're in their house.

Shut it with your snide, patronizing comments.
Old 18 October 2015, 17:48
Confirmed User

Did I read this thread right? You were a sniper instructor, recon, etc, but never spent time in "the grunts". Not piling on, just trying to reconcile this.
Old 18 October 2015, 17:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie27 View Post
.....Sadly some of the earlier posts just want to have a dick measuring contest with patronizing comments.....
Thin skinned, this shouldn't last long.

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 18 October 2015, 18:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Thanks for the viable responses b 2/75, 275 rltw, and uga 11b that was the info I was looking for ! I may end up going to a line unit as i never spent time in the grunts, leading any type of soldiers is an honor. Sadly some of the earlier posts just want to have a dick measuring contest with patronizing comments.
You will get out of this site exactly what you put in.
Old 18 October 2015, 18:33
What could possibly go wrong?

Terrible terrible SA
Old 18 October 2015, 18:43
The Sagacious One

Quote:
I know I have a little dick, that's why I went SF. So because you say you are a combat diver, you get one more post to check your azimuth.

Choose what you say wisely.
Old 18 October 2015, 18:47
Been There Done That

Would you be willing to accept some advice from someone who has served in leadership positions in both the Ranger Regiment and Special Forces?
Old 18 October 2015, 18:52
Been There Done That

Who in the Army

Who in the Army would need a Combat Diver?

Well, the list of Army units that send folks to that school is mighty, mighty short.

And even in those units the dive slots are very few.
Old 18 October 2015, 19:07
Administrator

Quote:
The next time you log on, send me a PM that proves you have the background you claim. If you don't, you get a ride out. If you do, you better start acting in a professional matter or you'll get the ride out.

Your call.

Seems to me someone with the claimed quals would know some of the answers to your questions already.
Old 18 October 2015, 19:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
You know, I was going to say that former Reconnaissance Marines typically make solid SF guys but after reading your posts, I'm going to recommend you just sign up to be a cook or something. Because everybody is just going to mock you mercilessly if you come to SF, as if you were the fat kid in gym class.
22 Aug 17
Old 18 October 2015, 20:02
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I thought this thread was going to go bad, but for entirely different reasons -- and then came the claims of being a raccoon Marine -- and it still went bad, but now I'm face palming myself while at the same time wondering how someone with all of these supposed skill sets never simply asked an Army guy in-person -- you know, while working with one at a school or operation.

Hmmm.

Whatever happens I would ask that people stop insulting TFG -- he's fairly frail and not likely to handle abuse well -- do people really want his emotional health on their conscience?
Old 18 October 2015, 21:42

My apologies to all of you especially TFG whose answer was completely reasonable for my question. I'll take my stolen valor ass off your forums.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules