Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 20 October 2015, 16:47

AD Marine Officer to AD ARMY SF Enlisted

Good Afternoon gentleman,

I have been a lurker on this site as well as several others for a few weeks and I am attempting to glean some information on the topic stated above. With that being said, I have not quite found the information I have been looking for. Can anyone here help?

I am a Captain in the Corps and Cobra Pilot and would like to conduct a transfer to Army SF. Why- I have taken flying in the Marine Corps as far as it can go and all thatís left is flying a desk for the majority of my career remaining. Reason for SF- you guys are professionals, I can continue to be in the fight, and I've enjoyed working for Team guys and shooting for you in the past. Iíd like to be a part of what you do.

After reviewing what I can find on the internet, im too senior a Captain to come over as an officer- I have no issue resigning my commission and enlisting instead. But, I cannot find a recruiter who knows how this process would work. Conducting an IST, resigning my commission, and getting a packet approved seems to be outside most recruiters scope. I contacted HRC and the gentleman I spoke with didnít have any info to offer. If anyone has any information on the subject id appreciate any help I get.

Thank you for your time.
Old 20 October 2015, 18:49
Been There Done That

Stay in the USMC, do your 20, and get your retirement.

SF is not worth resigning your commission and career for. "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush".

What you are saying is crazy talk IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20 October 2015, 19:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Stay in the USMC, do your 20, and get your retirement.

SF is not worth resigning your commission and career for. "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush".

What you are saying is crazy talk IMHO.
Agree. You're looking at going to an awful lot of trouble for something that you are probably going to find far less cool than what you imagine it to be, and take a massive pay cut in the process.

Don't do it.
22 Aug 17
Old 20 October 2015, 19:14
Been There Done That

Just go buy a Corvette instead.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 20 October 2015, 19:57
Preparing to defend

Pardon me for intruding, gentlemen, but, Trkracer these gentlemen speak from an experience you nor I will ever know. Since you have taken Marine Avn as far as you can, have you thought of going Army Avn Warrant?
Old 20 October 2015, 21:14
Confirmed User

I agree that flight warrant is probably a better deal for you. It is not unusual for Army flight officers to resign their commissions to become warrants IOT keep flying.

x/S
Old 20 October 2015, 21:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkracer View Post
Good Afternoon gentleman,

I have been a lurker on this site as well as several others for a few weeks and I am attempting to glean some information on the topic stated above. With that being said, I have not quite found the information I have been looking for. Can anyone here help?

I am a Captain in the Corps and Cobra Pilot and would like to conduct a transfer to Army SF. Why- I have taken flying in the Marine Corps as far as it can go and all thatís left is flying a desk for the majority of my career remaining. Reason for SF- you guys are professionals, I can continue to be in the fight, and I've enjoyed working for Team guys and shooting for you in the past. Iíd like to be a part of what you do.

After reviewing what I can find on the internet, im too senior a Captain to come over as an officer- I have no issue resigning my commission and enlisting instead. But, I cannot find a recruiter who knows how this process would work. Conducting an IST, resigning my commission, and getting a packet approved seems to be outside most recruiters scope. I contacted HRC and the gentleman I spoke with didnít have any info to offer. If anyone has any information on the subject id appreciate any help I get.

Thank you for your time.
Then try MARSOC you big dummy.
Old 20 October 2015, 21:56
The Sagacious One

I spent 24 years as an SF officer and while I would have never lived my life any other way, it is easier for me to say as I was never afforded the opportunity to fly.

I know of several SF Officers that resigned their commissions to become SF warrants. I tried, but AD did not allow it at the time.

Your cleaner transition, I think, is to become a warrant in Army aviation and then if you absolutely have a wife you want to divorce and kids you never want to see, seek an assignment with the 160th SOAR.

We have members here that started on this site as HS students and have progressed to such an assignment. We (as a community) can help guide you through the process, which in and of itself will be very difficult.

As you are not SF qualified as an 18A or any other 18 series MOS, I see no clear path for a transfer. At best, you would go to an aviation or other unit, then have to fight your way to get to SF Selection and Assessment.

The grass is always greener, brother...... Be careful what you ask for.
Old 20 October 2015, 22:45
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Don't.

Do.

It....
Old 20 October 2015, 22:57
NKDA

If in the end you decide it's really what you want to do, or in the pretense of continued exploration, it never hurts to talk to a military attorney about these types of issues (current or former - I'd recommend former senior JAG). It can cost a bit but a good former JAG now in private practice can find all the intricate loop holes to help you get where you want to be, although nothing is 100%, and even if you get the opportunity, SFAS and SFQC still stand ahead.
Old 20 October 2015, 23:11
I aim to misbehave

I cannot speak on the rationality of your plan, but I did know a guy who resigned an AD Navy commission (O3) to go NGSF. Last I talked to him, he had his orders to SFAS, but I lost touch after that. I will not advise you to ignore the advice given here, but if you do decide on it, I will see if I can get back in touch with him and find out what the process was.

While true:
Continue
Old 21 October 2015, 00:05
Been There Done That

Are you a WTI?

Have you done a tour at MAWTS?

There are options for you if the answers to either or both are yes...
Old 21 October 2015, 00:44
RIP Cass and SOTB

Maybe you could try to get a Green Platoon spot and test for the 160th? You could keep your commission, wings, and possibly be a member of a high speed organization.
Old 21 October 2015, 10:05
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_11B View Post
Maybe you could try to get a Green Platoon spot and test for the 160th? You could keep your commission, wings, and possibly be a member of a high speed organization.
As an Officer and a rated aviator, in the Army, and even the Regiment, he would eventually fly a desk. Comes with the rank. If flying is your passion, Army Warrant is the only sure way to stay flying for an entire career.
Old 21 October 2015, 10:12

Gentleman,
Thank you for the advice. It seems an overwhelming majority advises against the move. I understand. I often have individuals "drooling" over the idea of flying Cobras, etc. In truth, its nothing like what people imagine. Not nearly as sexy, and quality of life is not great- id think someone was nuts to suggest making a career transition to fly (especially if they already had a good thing going). Im guessing you are thinking something along the same lines.
I have a great deal of interest in SOAR. Although, when I spoke with their recruiters, they told me they are not considering inter-service transfers. I would love to be a part of such a unit. I wish I could assess as a Marine, but I don’t imagine id be much good to them having zero knowledge in the TMS’s they fly.
I have considered trying to transfer to big army with a chance to assess in the future, but the fact they are downsizing there number of pilots leads me to believe that is not a good choice.
I am an NSI and on the docket to go to WTI in my unit. Im considering turning this down if I pursue SF. I don’t want the Corps to invest money and time into me and never get a return. It doesn’t seem right.
MARSOC is not an option for aviators. Yes, I can go there and operate as an Air-O, but again, that is desk work.
I am very interested in SF. I realize I know very little about it. But being a Team member is a dream of mine. I am not getting any younger. I have witnessed the autonomy and proficiency the teams operate while deployed and that has even further fueled a hunger to move away from the conventional forces.
If anyone has any knowledge on a transition to Sf or Soar, then please let me know. Thank you
Old 21 October 2015, 11:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkracer View Post
Gentleman,
Thank you for the advice. It seems an overwhelming majority advises against the move. I understand. I often have individuals "drooling" over the idea of flying Cobras, etc. In truth, its nothing like what people imagine. Not nearly as sexy, and quality of life is not great- id think someone was nuts to suggest making a career transition to fly (especially if they already had a good thing going). Im guessing you are thinking something along the same lines.
I have a great deal of interest in SOAR. Although, when I spoke with their recruiters, they told me they are not considering inter-service transfers. I would love to be a part of such a unit. I wish I could assess as a Marine, but I donít imagine id be much good to them having zero knowledge in the TMSís they fly.
I have considered trying to transfer to big army with a chance to assess in the future, but the fact they are downsizing there number of pilots leads me to believe that is not a good choice.
I am an NSI and on the docket to go to WTI in my unit. Im considering turning this down if I pursue SF. I donít want the Corps to invest money and time into me and never get a return. It doesnít seem right.
MARSOC is not an option for aviators. Yes, I can go there and operate as an Air-O, but again, that is desk work.
I am very interested in SF. I realize I know very little about it. But being a Team member is a dream of mine. I am not getting any younger. I have witnessed the autonomy and proficiency the teams operate while deployed and that has even further fueled a hunger to move away from the conventional forces.
If anyone has any knowledge on a transition to Sf or Soar, then please let me know. Thank you
If by "autonomy" you mean "having to submit an 88 slide powerpoint presentation that gets kicked back by higher a half a dozen times before they let you venture outside the wire", then yeah. We got tons of "autonomy"
22 Aug 17
Old 21 October 2015, 11:21

I guess things are no different then....
Old 21 October 2015, 12:23
Old and Broke

Have you considered the Air Force?
Old 21 October 2015, 12:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
Have you considered the Air Force?

I think he actually wants to stay in the military.....
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 21 October 2015, 12:47
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I think he actually wants to stay in the military.....
DAMN!

Our new posting rules