Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 10 November 2015, 00:35

Career and 18x help

I plan to graduate high school this year, enlist in the National Guard, complete my training and then go to school full-time until I am age eligible for an 18x contract. I would like to transfer from the Guard to Active Duty through 18x. My question to you BTDT's is what is the best major to pick and what MOS should I pursue in the Guard, what would give more skills to be the best asset to the team? I appreciate any advice and wisdom any of you might have for me and thank you for letting me post here.
Old 10 November 2015, 06:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo View Post
I plan to graduate high school this year, enlist in the National Guard, complete my training and then go to school full-time until I am age eligible for an 18x contract. I would like to transfer from the Guard to Active Duty through 18x. My question to you BTDT's is what is the best major to pick and what MOS should I pursue in the Guard, what would give more skills to be the best asset to the team? I appreciate any advice and wisdom any of you might have for me and thank you for letting me post here.
Well, now that the secret that you can use the NG as a risk-free spring board to active duty SF is obviously out, you little bastards all want to jump on it.

I totally get it- if I had known about it as a kid, I'd have done it too. I mean, if I have a choice between going home or going to a Stryker Brigade for 5 years if I got a no-go, it's a no-brainer.

But the truth is both you and I will be better off if you got experience in a line unit for a few years before going to SF rather than just being some little Millenial prick on an ODA with visions of Call of Duty in your head.

So if you want to game the system, do it on your own. You're not going to get any help from us.

But I will advise you about college- do NOT pick some kind of major thinking it is going to help you in SF. It is not. Pick a major that is going to get you the type of job you like and are good at and that makes money. So, in other words don't major in Anthropology because you think it'll make you better in the tribal shura, because when you get out you'll be stuck making 30K a year teaching high school or something.
22 Aug 17
Old 10 November 2015, 07:09
The Sagacious One

My first question is are you 18 years of age? Don't post again until you answer that truthfully.
Old 10 November 2015, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
My first question is are you 18 years of age? Don't post again until you answer that truthfully.
I turn 18 January 29th 2016.
Old 10 November 2015, 15:10
RIP Cass and SOTB

Why not go AD 18x? They will teach you everything you need to know to be a "good SF guy?, then if/when you get to a team, you learn how to be a "great SF guy". IMO nothing you do in college will prepare you for the military. I would take the earlier advice of do something you want to do and make money doing for a good chunk of your life.

Or join up as an 11B, get some line experience and see if the military is the life you want before you take a giant leap and try SF.

My $.02
Old 14 November 2015, 09:31
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo View Post
I turn 18 January 29th 2016.
So you lied on your application to this site? It specifically says you have to be 18. And now you want us to help you become a member of the Hall of Honor?

Come back in 90 days.

Our new posting rules