Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 15 January 2016, 17:19
Been There Done That

SFA "The Drop" Article: Dodging The Legal Bullets of This Post Modern War

I wanted to post this well written article from the latest issue of "The Drop." There are some great points made as well as some brutal honesty that ordinarily would not be shared in active duty circles due to the current PC atmosphere.

The name of the article is: Dodging The Legal Bullets of The Post Modern War: The Right Way Back to Total War, by COL James M. Patterson, USA (Ret) and LTC David G. Bolgiano, USAF (Ret).

http://www.viewmycatalog.com/SFA/The...015/index.html

Mods if I jacked up the link, my apologies, feel free to correct my dumb ass.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 15 January 2016, 23:52
Confirmed User

Jim Patterson- one of the top two or three brightest people I've ever met. He also co authored and subsequently nailed it in 'Fighting Today's Wars: How America's Leaders Have Failed Our Warriors'.

I'll definitely be reading the article above tonight.
Old 27 January 2016, 16:22
Rest In Peace

His co-author on the article is also his co-author on the book. Jim had a great career, after being a USAR SF enlisted swine he wound up as that great rarity, a staff judge advocate that's actually on the mens' and the mission's side.

At one unit, he seemed to be de facto XO or DCO despite being he JAG. Yeah, he's that good.

ETA: Jim's that military lawyer that people introduce the way they used to introduce their stripper girlfriends from Rick's Lounge: "OK, yeah, he is one of those, but honest, he's not like all the others."

He's outlasted all my stripper girlfriends, FWIW.
Old 27 January 2016, 17:04
Confirmed User

Because of the title it perked my interest. I am glad it did...that was a damn good read, and the "lessons" can be extrapolated to so many other areas.
Old 28 January 2016, 03:04
Confirmed User

Great read.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.

Our new posting rules