Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 2 January 2009, 12:20
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Another Year....
You are still missed my friend

They have put a statue of Nate in his Hometown of Georgetown TX as part of a larger memorial dedicated to those lost in the War On Terror. I hope to get out there and see it someday.
Do you know where the statue is? Is it at the town square? I live about 2 hours from there, and I'd love to see it.

Here's a pic of Nate when we were at 2nd Ranger Battalion. That's Nate on the left. I'm behind the Ranger Rock, in the center.

Rest Easy, Amigo. We'll link up again.
RLTW
EP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maggot Squad.jpg (16.5 KB, 526 views)
Old 2 January 2009, 12:43
Quiet Professional

From The city website
http://mainstreet.georgetown.org/dir....publicart.php

Memorial Bronze Sculpture of "Sargeant First Class Nathan R. Chapman"

The Sergeant First Class Nathan Chapman Fund has been designed to honor not just the heroic acts of SFC Chapman, but to honor and assist the families of other Central Texas men and women who have given their lives while spreading the cause of freedom.

On January 4th, 2002, near the city of Khost, Afghanistan, SFC Nathan R. Chapman became the first American soldier killed by enemy fire in the War on Terror. Although mortally wounded, SFC Chapman heroically returned fire until losing consciousness and is credited with saving the lives of his comrades. The sculpture, created by renowned sculptor Bob Pack, is located on the northeast corner of the Williamson County Justice Center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chap statue.jpg (28.1 KB, 506 views)

...so are we just "at odds"
Old 2 January 2009, 13:14
BTDT

Thanks, Griffin. I'll be sure and visit his statue.

When Nate came to the Maggot Squad at 2/75th Ranger Batt, he was the youngest guy in our platoon. At the time, I was the oldest guy in our company...and a PFC. Nate and I immediately hit it off, mainly because of his choice in music. He liked "old rock." Late 60's through mid 70's was what he listened to: Hendrix, The Doors, Led Zepplin, etc. I thought it was pretty damned refreshing to have a young stud like him, who didn't listen to rap!

After I injured my back on a jump, I started doing some artwork around the company AO. I painted a few murals on the walls, and when it looked like the Noriega deal was going to eventually happen, I started making training aids for my platoon (posters, maps, etc).

About the same time, our CO decided that he needed me to make a really hooah briefing book for him, so he could impress the BC and the other COs when he went to his briefings. It was to be a huge, wooden book cover with expandable posts, so he could fill it however thick he needed it. It was to be OD green with the RVN tiger stripe camo design, and a subdued 2nd Batt Scroll on the front. Really hooah.

I started working on his Hollywood book cover, but whenever my buds needed training aids, I put his glamor task on hold. My buddies lives were much more important to me than my CO's rep.

Well, that didn't set well with the CO. In fact, we had it out...and I lost. He epedited my paperwork to Medical Hold, and got me out of there.

When the platoon heard about it, the Plt. Sgt. got us all together and said they had a "parting gift" for me. Chapman (who was an E2), walked up and handed me a gift box. I opened it up, and there was the CO's very best pair of spit-shined jungle boots. Nate had "acquired" them for me. They had the CO's last name and last four written inside. I kept those boots for years.

Sorry for the long story. Nate was just a damned good dude. He NEVER whined, he always had a smile, he played great practical jokes, listened to the best music, and he could out-soldier just about anyone. He is missed, and I think about him everytime I look at the bracelet on my wrist.

RLTW
EP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NateBracelets_2.JPG (76.7 KB, 494 views)
Old 2 January 2009, 15:09
Confirmed User

RIP

I dont' know what it's like to lose a comrade that close to me. He sounded like one hell of a guy and a top notch Ranger, so I am deeply sorry for all of your guys' loss. I will have one in his honor.
Old 3 January 2009, 00:38
Swimming Upstream

My Ex and I were on Oki at the same time Nate was. I remember when he was killed and how sad my Ex was. He said he was one of the "good ones." I had the honor of doing part of Nate's background investigation for his clearance.

RIP.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 4 January 2009, 13:52
BTDT

I am continually amazed at how small this SOF community actually is. I've run across men and women on two or three different sites who either worked directly with Nate, or were involved with handling him after his death. It truly is a family, and it's impressive that Nate touched so many lives.

Rest In Peace, Ranger Buddy.

RLTW
EP
Old 4 January 2009, 14:46
Been There Done That

Picture I just took in Dec

Picture of Chapman Hall

Last edited by seapig173; 27 June 2009 at 00:38.
Old 4 January 2009, 22:59

SFC Nathan Chapman Statue

EarthPig,

I was SFC Nathan Chapman's father. My wife and I live in Georgetown, TX. The statue is located two blocks north and two blocks west of the town square in Georgetown. It is at the corner of 4th Street and Forest Street in front of the Williamson County Justice Center. If you come to see the statue, please let us know. My email address is wilburchap@aol.com. We would love to meet you.

On this day, the 7th anniversary of Nate's death, it so comforting to see how he is still remembered by those he served with in the greatest military organization in the world. While our son died a hero, we honor him for how he lived rather than how he died. It is heartwarming to see that those who knew him honor him the same way. Thanks to all of you for remembering his life and his sacrifice.

To those of you who read this and have served or are currently serving our country in uniform, we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts. Please take care of yourselves.

Will Chapman
Old 4 January 2009, 23:56
koz1
Visitor

[IMG]http://********************.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10990&d=1230566545[/IMG]

I passed through the airfield at Khowst which named in memory/honor of Nate.

Here's the picture of the sign
Old 5 January 2009, 00:02
koz1
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz1 View Post
[IMG]http://********************.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10990&d=1230566545[/IMG]

I passed through the airfield at Khowst which named in memory/honor of Nate.

Here's the picture of the sign
Well obviously that didn't work - mods I'll PM the picture if you can attach it.
Old 5 January 2009, 13:12
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburchap View Post
EarthPig,

I was SFC Nathan Chapman's father. My wife and I live in Georgetown, TX. The statue is located two blocks north and two blocks west of the town square in Georgetown. It is at the corner of 4th Street and Forest Street in front of the Williamson County Justice Center. If you come to see the statue, please let us know. My email address is wilburchap@aol.com. We would love to meet you.

On this day, the 7th anniversary of Nate's death, it so comforting to see how he is still remembered by those he served with in the greatest military organization in the world. While our son died a hero, we honor him for how he lived rather than how he died. It is heartwarming to see that those who knew him honor him the same way. Thanks to all of you for remembering his life and his sacrifice.

To those of you who read this and have served or are currently serving our country in uniform, we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts. Please take care of yourselves.

Will Chapman
Mr. Chapman, it would be an honor to meet you and your wife. I come through there quite a bit, and I'll be sure and email before my next trip down.

By the way, I'm the guy who left those 8 x 10 photos of Nate (when he was at 2nd Battalion) on your doorstep several years ago.

RLTW
EP
Old 5 January 2009, 21:04
Been There Done That

RIP. A true hero.
Old 6 January 2009, 07:16
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

May God Bless you and your family Mr. Chapman.
Old 7 January 2009, 10:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Another Year....

Rest Easy Nate Chapman, you are not forgoten!

To his family, I am still deeply sorry for your loss.
Ditto.....RIP Nate....

Welcome to the forum Willburchap!!

It's an honor for me to know that you're here and watching/reading!!

~D-6606~
Old 5 January 2010, 12:09
Quiet Professional

Bump...Another year passed...I still remember Nate.

...so are we just "at odds"
Old 5 January 2010, 14:56
Confirmed User

Griffin I am sorry for your loss. I am glad to see that his hometown has honored his memory so well, and touched that he is held in such high regard by those who are here. I will keep Nate Chapman's friends and family in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 5 January 2010, 20:33
Swimming Upstream

Glass raised.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 5 January 2010, 20:36

Great stories of a great guy! RIP Brother!!!!
Old 12 January 2010, 13:49
Confirmed User

You are thought of bro'

I was in the Q Course with Nate and had many good times. Quote I will allllways remember from the classroom:

"CRANK IT TROXLE"! Unsuspecting victim, hand crank generator...you get the idea. Don't remember who it was or what specific generator it was, but I will always hear that quote.

You are remembered and thought of Nathan, and I honor your mememory and service.

Mr. Chapman, if you happen across this- thank you for raising such an outstanding son, solider, and American. It was an honor knowing your son, working with him, and for being friends with him. I am sorry for your family's loss.
Old 12 January 2010, 14:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Money View Post
I was in the Q Course with Nate...
Should probably clarify for that I took a little longer to finish the Q and graduated the next class

Our new posting rules