SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 18 November 2019, 19:24
True Origin Not Known

That's nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Are there bad apples in Law enforcement, sure there is. Just like there are bad apples in every cross section of any human population
Of course, SOME bad apples can mess up your whole day . . .

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 18 November 2019, 19:31
True Origin Not Known

WHA . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Meh...somehow America did just fine without a "professional" police force, something which only came about due to large anonymous urban shitholes full of diverse foreign rabble fresh off the boat. The first batches of said rabble rapidly captured said "professional" police orgs and used them to further their own clannish interests as well as fleece the fresh hordes, etc.

S/F...Ken M
I resent your backhanded dig at my Irish side. For pennance, drink 2 pints of Guinness, go forth, and SIN no more.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 18 November 2019, 19:37
True Origin Not Known

Um, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but is not a Sheriff, and his deputies, only recognized law enforcement entity in our constitution ?
BUT, AFAIK, the counties of a state (or parish in LA) are the smallest state government agencies in each state. This is a holdover from English common law. Cities are municipal corporations, so you will see a date of incorporation, that was granted by the State, but the State has authority over the municipal corporation. Sheriff's departments will display a date, but it will be something like "Founded". Incorporated cities are not a part of State government. HTH.

Old 18 November 2019, 20:48
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Your thesis is that the cartels are different and better than private citizens?

That's only true due to the root of the problem, which are; our constant erosion of rights as well as being disarmed by the gov.

I'm pretty sure if people in neighborhoods were able to arm themselves appropriately they could wipe out most cartels if they ventured into their area.

I know friends I could call right now that would help decimate a cartel.

As to your other point, the gov has already decided the police are their enforcement arm. What would be the difference if it's them or the mil? (no the gov does not need an enforcement arm)

Again I'm not for the no police model, but the counter arguments to this idea, come across as if we would cease to exist if we didn't have the massive amount of police this nation already has.
Not sure if "different/better" is my point. My thinking on this topic, is what if Police were disbanded tomorrow, as opposed to what if Police didn't exist for the last 100 years, (just to pick a figure).

It's not about access to firearms per se or knowing/being the right people, but the general capability of society, right now, to defend themselves from violence, especially the type of violence that Cartels and other unrestrained actors have shown that they will use. A good portion won't, and can't.

I agree that the Gov is the main issue, which I outlined in one of my earlier posts. I was outlining that the Gov themselves believe that they need and enforcement arm, not that I think they need it. As such, they will find someone to be that arm.

Having said all that, I'm not of the thought that society would crumble if the Police were disbanded, but rather that if Police suddenly disappeared overnight, there would be some violent...adaptations...to the new order of things. Some could be good, a lot would be bad.

As for my Military point...I would think that having the Military "Police" society would be worse than we see now. I could be wrong, but that's my thinking.
Old 18 November 2019, 21:32
Another pool cleaner

I'm of the opinion that the Police are necessary.

But, I'm also of the opinion that we grant other entities the responsibilities and the rights that we all bear.

We demand the police for our security.

We demand the hospitals and doctors for our health.

We demand insurance for our accidents.

We demand fast food for our convenience.

We institutionalize our responsibility and clamor when our demands are not met.

We have met the enemy...
Old 18 November 2019, 22:10
Administrator

Quote:
Not sure if "different/better" is my point. My thinking on this topic, is what if Police were disbanded tomorrow, as opposed to what if Police didn't exist for the last 100 years, (just to pick a figure).

It's not about access to firearms per se or knowing/being the right people, but the general capability of society, right now, to defend themselves from violence, especially the type of violence that Cartels and other unrestrained actors have shown that they will use. A good portion won't, and can't.
You're supporting my point that society has become subservient to the gov and their enforcement arm.

Frankly, I suspect once a few people were killed, others would either harden up or become the cartels slaves. IMO, if they don't do the former, they deserve the later.
Old 19 November 2019, 02:37
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
You're supporting my point that society has become subservient to the gov and their enforcement arm.
Supporting that point happily. Learned it first-hand when I was still a street cop, and it has frustrated me ever since.
Old 19 November 2019, 09:56
BTDT

This is RE: The Gov Enforcement Arm. Hope it's not too OT for this thread.

Active Massachusetts LEO tells what he'll do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKWPJ8urrU

If we could replace the D-bags with guys like this - there would be a whole new image of LE from a lot of people, IMO.
Old 19 November 2019, 10:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
This is RE: The Gov Enforcement Arm. Hope it's not too OT for this thread.

Active Massachusetts LEO tells what he'll do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKWPJ8urrU

If we could replace the D-bags with guys like this - there would be a whole new image of LE from a lot of people, IMO.
WOW D-bag is an understatement.
Old 19 November 2019, 10:21
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
WOW D-bag is an understatement.
What do you mean?

Edit: In case it isn't clear, I liked what he said.

Last edited by Polypro; 19 November 2019 at 10:38.
Old 19 November 2019, 13:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
What do you mean?

Edit: In case it isn't clear, I liked what he said.
No its 100 percent my bad I was referring to other cop that assaulted the amputee. I had both threads open on different monitors and did not have enough coffee. I a m embarrassed.

I also agreed with what he said in the video you linked as well.

Again sorry for my dumbassery.
Old 6 December 2019, 16:37
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Watching your posts over the past few years regarding LE and Government involvement in everyday life has been a bit of a wake-up call.

While you're usually as delicate as a JDAM hitting a mudshack, you've been consistently making the same macro-perspective points about citizen's rights for years now. Took me a while to figure it out - no surprises there.

Thank you for doing that because I think you are correct. The minutia really doesn't matter. It's about the projection and application of power, which at this point is almost only theoretically in the citizenry's hands.
Late to the game as usual but +1.

Our new posting rules