SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 20 January 2020, 09:04
Russian Tycoon

Parasite

Finally got to watch Parasite last night (the South Korean movie that won quite a few accolades in 2019, Palme D'Or being one of them). It is a brilliant mix of black comedy and drama, with wild swings from being hysterically funny (in an effed up way) to profoundly tragic.

I enjoyed the movie a lot and thought it deserved all the recognition, but also found it to have a few parallels with Shoplifters that was highly rated in 2018.

In any case, if anyone is looking for a good foreign flick to watch, I recommend.

TRAILER
Old 20 January 2020, 09:22
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
Finally got to watch Parasite last night (the South Korean movie that won quite a few accolades in 2019, Palme D'Or being one of them). It is a brilliant mix of black comedy and drama, with wild swings from being hysterically funny (in an effed up way) to profoundly tragic.

I enjoyed the movie a lot and thought it deserved all the recognition, but also found it to have a few parallels with Shoplifters that was highly rated in 2018.

In any case, if anyone is looking for a good foreign flick to watch, I recommend.

TRAILER
Looks good. Netflix or Prime?
Old 20 January 2020, 09:57

Caught this at the local multiplex over the summer, blew me away.. positive I had just seen the "Best Picture" winner. The director wrote and directed "Snowpiercer "
Old 20 January 2020, 10:51
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Looks good. Netflix or Prime?
Neither... but itís now playing in many movie theaters.
Old 20 January 2020, 11:46
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
Neither... but itís now playing in many movie theaters.
thanks, I'll have to see if it's around here
Old 12 February 2020, 05:25
Been There Done That

Looks like the movie sweeper the Oscars.

Korea has been putting out some really good movies the last several years.,
Old 12 February 2020, 08:04
been ***** **** that

Many of the foreign made films I have seen this past year or so have surpassed the recent movies I have seen coming out of Hollywood. I wonder if they took a hint by it all!
Old 13 February 2020, 21:27
Russian Tycoon

I was double-pleased to see Parasite doing so well at the Oscars.

First of all, the movie is brilliant and it deserved all the accolades (IMHO).

In addition, it was so freaking refreshing to see a flick with no gender OR women rights OR racial OR immigration OR other political correctness issues du jour being recognized by the Hollywood establishment out of all people. The story is as old as the world really: class struggle with a innovative mix of hysterical and tragic twists. We need more raw movies like this.

But, of course, some media outlets still can’t get over the fact that Gerwig didn’t get the Best Director nomination... please... #notmyOscar...

Schibbs, I agree with your assessment, I saw quite a few excellent foreign movies last year. Good stuff.
Old 14 February 2020, 08:08
Been There Done That

Never heard of this movie until the Oscars and this thread...checked out the trailer and it seems up my alley. From the trailer it appears similar to a Cohen Brothers-type dark comedy...perhaps darker?

Yeah, I'll check this one out...
Old 14 February 2020, 10:41
Been There Done That

GWAG....from the trailer it does seem to remind me a bit of Shoplifters.
Old 16 February 2020, 12:29
Confirmed User

I saw Parasite last night, with high expectations, based on all of the positive reviews. After watching the movie, I wasn’t sure how to feel. I don’t know how else to describe my emotions. It was definitely a well-made movie, but after reading all the positive reviews, I kinda feel dumb for not liking it very much.

I felt the same way after watching American Beauty. Both movies left me feeling ...sad, and for the same reason. Both movies were superlative indictments on the problems with society and human interaction. The beauty of humanity is that our foibles are quite reproducible, from one generation to the next. Depravity and selfishness are timeless qualities of humans.

Danny
Old 17 February 2020, 12:45
A Texan in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
I saw Parasite last night, with high expectations, based on all of the positive reviews. After watching the movie, I wasnít sure how to feel. I donít know how else to describe my emotions. It was definitely a well-made movie, but after reading all the positive reviews, I kinda feel dumb for not liking it very much.

I felt the same way after watching American Beauty. Both movies left me feeling ...sad, and for the same reason. Both movies were superlative indictments on the problems with society and human interaction. The beauty of humanity is that our foibles are quite reproducible, from one generation to the next. Depravity and selfishness are timeless qualities of humans.

Danny
My wife hated it. Said it was the worst movie she's seen. So def not for everyone.

I liked the first 2/3's. The last 1/3, not so much. Very well done/shot/framed etc. I appreciated it from a film making perspective.

I'm with you. For the most part, I go to movies to be entertained. Not necessarily to explore the human condition and open up dark recesses of the mind/heart to see how low folks will go.

Add to that I'm old fashioned to tend to hope for some form of redemption which I felt this lacked.
Old 17 February 2020, 15:22
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
I saw Parasite last night, with high expectations, based on all of the positive reviews. After watching the movie, I wasnít sure how to feel. I donít know how else to describe my emotions. It was definitely a well-made movie, but after reading all the positive reviews, I kinda feel dumb for not liking it very much.

Danny
Hmm. Well, I know I thought American Beauty was the dumbest thing I'd seen at that time. I guess I'll watch it when I have nothing better to do
Old 17 February 2020, 22:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritatem Cognoscere View Post
My wife hated it. Said it was the worst movie she's seen. So def not for everyone.

I liked the first 2/3's. The last 1/3, not so much. Very well done/shot/framed etc. I appreciated it from a film making perspective.

I'm with you. For the most part, I go to movies to be entertained. Not necessarily to explore the human condition and open up dark recesses of the mind/heart to see how low folks will go.

Add to that I'm old fashioned to tend to hope for some form of redemption which I felt this lacked.
I am with you. There is enough of the human condition in real life, work, family, studies. Movies are a good escape, much needed, at times. Entertain me.
Old 20 February 2020, 00:27

Saw Parasite last December in Koreatown(L.A.). Good movie.
Old 21 February 2020, 23:17
Been There Done That

Apparently, the POTUS isnít a fan of the movie as mentioned in one of his rallies. LOL. I have yet to see it.
Old Today, 05:12
Confirmed User

Amazing movie!
True, there's a little drop in the third quarter, but the end is worth it! Really liked it

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey

Our new posting rules