SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 20 August 2018, 14:25
Authorized Personnel

Veterans Prone to Low-Testosterone

I thought that this was a great article written up by the Havok Journal. The basic premises of the article is that those of us who have worked in high-stress environments for a long duration, and then return to dull and boring lives are prone to having low testosterone levels. This in turn leads to similar symptoms as PTSD and TBI.

I can absolutely relate to this, and I was personally on the edge of going to talk to somebody at the VA about my overall mental wellness. Before doing so, I decided to get a hormone panel done, and I was shocked to discover that I was extremely low and that my pituitary gland was not functioning properly. It was bad enough to where I had to go get an MRI done before they would administer treatment in order to ensure I didn't have a tumor.

For anyone experiencing these symptoms...seriously, go get checked. It's been a life-changer for me.

LINK TO ARTICLE
Old 20 August 2018, 15:42
Anesthetized User

Thanks for the post. Emailed my doc to get labs drawn, I’ll post if anything is deficient.

Support SOCNET.
Old 20 August 2018, 16:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Thanks for the post. Emailed my doc to get labs drawn, Iíll post if anything is deficient.
You'll likely be shocked. I know I was.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 August 2018, 17:27
Been There Done That

I've been on the T for quite some time now. I have no idea if it is service related. I had some stress in the service and some in the civie world. I do know I don't do enough to stay slim and trim, which is also a contributing factor to low T. I've had my pituitary gland checked for cancer too.... found that part of Maverick's post interesting.

I do urge all of you over 40 to get it checked out. Manopause.....
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 20 August 2018, 17:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
The basic premises of the article is that those of us who have worked in high-stress environments for a long duration, and then return to dull and boring lives are prone to having low testosterone levels.

God forgive me because I am a pervert, but every time I got back to "the world" I wanted to drill (multiple times) every hot chick I saw.
I am at the point in my life, I still want to, but once is about all that I can handle! Father time has taken it's toll, not PTSD.
Old 20 August 2018, 18:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
God forgive me because I am a pervert, but every time I got back to "the world" I wanted to drill (multiple times) every hot chick I saw.
I am at the point in my life, I still want to, but once is about all that I can handle! Father time has taken it's toll, not PTSD.
Oh I did too! It wasn't an immediate thing at all.
Old 20 August 2018, 18:08
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
This is how I know I am just fine. I want to screw the not hot ones also.

Whatís hotter than a 10 I have slept with? A 6 that I havenít slept with.

Support SOCNET.
Old 20 August 2018, 18:45
Navigating

I had a good conversation on SOCNET about my Low-T (33 yom), it was in the 190 range. Linked it to issues with my pituitary gland from TBI. Going from 190 range to 800+ range, just prepare your wife..

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=1...t=Testosterone

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon

Last edited by 256; 20 August 2018 at 18:49. Reason: Added link
Old 20 August 2018, 19:23
Confirmed User

I am a little tired now, but what test do i ask for? Specifically with VA
Old 20 August 2018, 19:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
This is how I know I am just fine. I want to screw the not hot ones also.

Whatís hotter than a 10 I have slept with? A 6 that I havenít slept with.

What's an 11? A 10 that swallows.
Old 20 August 2018, 20:37
Scoundrel

True story: the only subject in this study was Sharky.

ďIt's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.Ē -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 20 August 2018, 20:39
Authorized Personnel

And this is how pseudoscience, misunderstanding of causality, and "in my experience" lead to unecessary tests and excessive replacement of a controlled substance...
Old 20 August 2018, 21:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post
And this is how pseudoscience, misunderstanding of causality, and "in my experience" lead to unecessary tests and excessive replacement of a controlled substance...
Holy crap! Where the hell have you been?
Old 20 August 2018, 22:01
Administrator

Quote:

Welcome back ching dong. 😁

Can you write me a scrip?
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 August 2018, 08:19
BTDT

Quote:
I'll debate you all day long on this one (my info will come from one of the best HRT Doctors in the country - mine, don't worry ).

I won't even get into the ridiculousness of Testosterone being a DEA Scheduled substance due to politicians afraid of Hulk Hogan (who I guarantee are on HRT themselves) - too busy fighting for my guns they are trying to grab.

Testosterone declines with age. It's natural, but it isn't healthy. Just like all the bad things that happen to women when the female sex hormone Estrogen crashes (which isn't a DEA controlled substance, hmmmm), like bone mineral loss - a decline in Testosterone leads to all sorts of downstream problems in males. We live in a modern, medical science society - use it - they do for people who make themselves Type II and need Metformin or Insulin and a million other drugs for natural or self inflicted malady's.

If you are over the age of 40, get a hormone panel done measuring Total T, Free T, Estrodiol *using LC/MS, ie. the "Sensitive" test* Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), DHEA-S(ulfate) and a PSA (Prostate) test. I'd really recommend getting a baseline done in your 30's just to have on hand for later use. Get at least CBC done too to check RBC, Hemoglobin, and Hematocrit. Get whatever insurance (or you) will pay for CMP and Thyroid would be others good to have.

I use these (If you are "old", the odds that you have a pituitary adenoma, 90% are benign - are slim, but that's what your Doc is for) and you can do them yourself to bring with you, unless you live in one of the 3 or so communist states that don't want you to know about your own body:

https://www.discountedlabs.com/pre-t...wellness-panel

https://www.discountedlabs.com/trt-m...p-panel-option

You *DO NOT* want to be at 264ng/dl. If you get a doc that says "you're in range" in the 2, 3, 400's - RUN, don't walk to another doctor. That "range" is statistical, based on every 18-80 year old they test. Even discounting the fact that in today's society men are getting fatter (anyone heard of the obesity epidemic?), less fit, and exposed to Endocrine Disruptors like BPA, and Xenoestrogens - which all lower Testoserone (and why Labcorp and Quest keep lowering the ranges) - do you really want an "in range" 80 year old's level? Most young men were at 900-1200 in the "good old days". Research "testosterone decline historically"

Poor sleep (not getting a solid 7/8/9 when you "could"), waking up bolt straight alert at 2AM, not having to shave as much, tired all the time, not motivated, not losing much fat/building much muscle (when you are actually doing everything right! - no slacking!!), loss of libido a.k.a not wanting to bang the crap out of every hot chick you see, anywhere, including pics, every day - as Jeff Foxworthy said "You just may have low testosterone".

You can pay out of pocket too - it's actually fairly affordable. If your doctor doesn't work with a good compounding pharmacy (and you can ask if he can work through Empower Pharmacy in Texas - that's who I use) there is a program called GoodRx that you can use at major pharmacy's for Testosterone (10ml 200mg/ml $40 Walgreens) and Anastrozole (15 1mg tabs $6 Kroger). The only thing that sucks is that name brand hCG is expensive no matter what - you really need a compounding pharmacy for that. hCG is Human Chorionic Gonadotropin and is a Leutinizing Hormone mimetic - prevents Leydig Cell atrophy (due to exogenous testosterone) as well as binding to the LH receptors *all over the body* - they're there for a reason. All in, I pay under $300 every 4 months for all supplies.

Possible negatives - first, the data is far from conclusive that testosterone *at normal, therapeutic doses* is harmful at all, and is even protective (we all didn't die from age 18-38 from prostate cancer or stroke). Red Blood Cell elevation could occur called Polycythemia Vera. Erythrocytosis is different, but donating blood and saving lives every 4 months or so is a possible answer. Millions of people living above 4,000 feet aren't dropping dead. The second is Prostate enlargement, again, not conclusive and may even be linked to high estrogen - they treat it with DHT in Europe. But this is what your doctor is for - ask. After 2 years on HRT with Testosterone at 975ng/dl at its lowest - my PSA this month was 0.5 out of 4.0 max - eat Walnuts. N=1, correlation isn't causation.

I'll warn you - the mainstream medical system is woefully under educated on this topic - even main stream endo's. I started with the typical "look up a doctor on my insurance plan and go see him". I'll save the long PITA he was - I moved on and went to the best. If they have their head buried in the laptop as you talk - be wary. If they will only do Androgel or Testim (so f'n expensive it will make your head spin) - be wary. If he doesn't mention an Aromatase inhibitor - be wary. You'll probably need to educate them (they love that) on hCG use. See what they know about DHEA and Pregnenolone (OTC from Life Extension - 100mg Preg before bed, 25mg DHEA sub-lingual tablet, twice a day AM/PM - verified by blood work).

Be your own vociferous advocate, do your own research, and don't take no for an answer - it will literally change your life if you are low.
Old 21 August 2018, 10:48
Life is simple, not easy.

I subscribed to this thread because I was on a once a week Testosterone shot for about 10 weeks and stopped. I am going to my doc today for my 3 mo check up (I get blood work done every quarter since I lost a kidney to cancer in 2014, so I play it safe and see my doc 4 times a year and my Urologist once per year) and will bring this up to her today and ask to get back on it. My levels were low, but I am 49 yrs old and I have lost a step or two.
Old 21 August 2018, 11:12
Navigating

Thumbs up

Iím very interested to see how this conversation goes

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 21 August 2018, 12:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I subscribed to this thread because I was on a once a week Testosterone shot for about 10 weeks and stopped. I am going to my doc today for my 3 mo check up (I get blood work done every quarter since I lost a kidney to cancer in 2014, so I play it safe and see my doc 4 times a year and my Urologist once per year) and will bring this up to her today and ask to get back on it. My levels were low, but I am 49 yrs old and I have lost a step or two.
Get it done. I'm in my late 50s and still have a high drive. No reason to live like an old man. It might also help you with the emotional swings you used to display on here. Haven't seen that in quite some time though, so you are doing something right.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 21 August 2018, 12:40
Authorized Personnel

This thread is so hard...

...to follow. I need to read up about all the stuff Poly just put out there.
Old 21 August 2018, 13:47
Darwin Award Presenter

First, to Maverick, thank you for the informative post. All of this makes sense, that when the body is subjected to high stress for extended periods, Cortisol secretion increases, and Cortisol interferes with MANY things, including memory and learning (which could be misconstrued as being secondary to TBI, and cognitive decline).

It blows me away that Testosterone is a "Scheduled" drug, but then again, perhaps they were gun shy after the debacle with Thalidomide.

Seriously though, very important and valuable information.

Our new posting rules