SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 29 October 2018, 10:08
Freelancer

Hearing Loss

The past few years I have really noticed my hearing declining. I am constantly having clients repeat themselves. Having the phone at my desk turned up so loud that my boss could hear everything.

My wake-up call came when I was at a local coffee shop. I was joking with a friend I was thinking of a career change and might become a Barista. Sitting there I realized I wouldn't be able to do the job as I couldn't hear a damn thing. My family was noticing and I was starting to isolate myself from social settings. I read this article by Chuck Norris on hearing loss and decided to get off my ass and take action.

After my hearing test at the VA they confirmed I have quite a bit of hearing loss. I'll be getting hearing aids in a few weeks and hope they help me out. I was surprised they are blue tooth capable. I really encourage folks get your hearing checked. And please, don't be embarassed.

Any tips for a new user? I'll have to remember to turn everything down.

Chuck Norris article here. https://mobile.wnd.com/2018/06/chuck...-hearing-loss/
Old 29 October 2018, 10:24
Administrator

I recently went through the same. I initially bought hearing aids but my insurance was so jacked up that I just took them back this morning and got a refund. I loved the hearing aids but not $7K worth of love, as my insurance didn't want to pay a dime even though I should be covered and I just don't have the time to fight them about it. Luckily I have discovered that VA already had me as service-connected hearing loss since 1992 so I will be getting the same hearing aids now from the VA for free.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 29 October 2018, 10:33
Aww F**K it

I just had a hearing test at the VA and was told to set up an appointment to get fitted for hearing aids.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 29 October 2018, 16:31
Been There Done That

My hearing is fucked. I've got used to the constant ringing now though. I do have trouble hearing 1 certain person trying to talk to me in a crowd, especially soft speaking folks like females. I got hearing aides from the VA that were supposed to cancel out the ringing. Taxpayers wasted about $3300.00 there. They're bulky and uncomfortable. So, anyone who knows me either knows to speak up or get used to "huh".

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 29 October 2018, 23:18
The atomic zit

Huh...

My nearly 76yo father got a pair recently. He is more engaged.

My 79yo FIL is a hardheaded fuck. Will not even consider it...
Old 30 October 2018, 03:42
Authorized Personnel

I'm on my second set of hearing aids. I enjoy the silence more than the jumble of noises they bring in, so they stay in their little container.

I've had behind the ear and in the ear types, the behind the ear seemed to have a better freq response.
Old 1 November 2018, 07:42
BTDT

Luckily, I just have Tinitus. There's a range where there is loss, but it's very high (probably same freq as the Tinitus?). I'm anal about ear pro for everything now.

And seriously, lets talk more medical device scammery - a set of active ear pro for shooting, over the ear or those high-speed plugs - is $50-$500. 7 THOUSAND! for hearing aids? Yeah right...
Old 1 November 2018, 09:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
7 THOUSAND! for hearing aids? Yeah right...

Yep. They are programmable, so based on your audiogram they only amplify sound in the frequencies that you have a loss. That part was nice because it's much better when not EVERYTHING is just louder.

And they even have bluetooth now. You can pair them with an iPhone and use them like a bluetooth headset to answer calls or listen to music. Android requires a separate microphone for calls.

But, to your point, yeah I wasn't liking them enough to spend $7K, especially now that I know I can get the exact same thing from the VA for free.

I do think I dodged a bullet/scam though. The window to bring them back for a refund is 30 days, but insurance usually take 45-60 days to reimburse for the claim. So, by the time you figure out what the insurance is going to pay you are typically already outside the refund window. In my case, had I not been keeping up with it I would now be stuck with $7K worth of hearing aids.

-ZZ Top
Old 1 November 2018, 09:55
Another pool cleaner

What hearing loss?

Mine is perfect. I rarely hear my wife nag me.
Old 1 November 2018, 10:18
I really don't care

GPC, which model did you get?

Hearing aids are issued for both tinnitus and hearing loss. A few weeks ago one fell out of my right ear and I accidentally stepped on it broke it. The VA in St. Cloud, MN ordered a new one, and I received it a week later from the manufacturer. Mine are GN ReSound Lynx 3D 7. The box had the retail price of $2999, just for one. I doubt the VA pays that much considering volume. VA/DOD are likely their #1 customer.

Having a speaker in your ear certainly will take care of the hearing loss issue. But I have also found my tinnitus is better for a few days after wearing them. Starkey sells some relatively inexpensive models (compared to the others), so I'm a little surprised they issue the high-dollar ones.

GN ReSound, Oticon, Phonak, Siemens (Signia), Starkey, and Widex are the brands they issue. Not sure why one over the other.
Old 1 November 2018, 11:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
What hearing loss?

Mine is perfect. I rarely hear my wife nag me.
That's selective hearing loss.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 1 November 2018, 11:17
Administrator

Mine that cost $7K were Oticon.

-ZZ Top
Old 1 November 2018, 13:12
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
GPC, which model did you get?

Hearing aids are issued for both tinnitus and hearing loss. A few weeks ago one fell out of my right ear and I accidentally stepped on it broke it. The VA in St. Cloud, MN ordered a new one, and I received it a week later from the manufacturer. Mine are GN ReSound Lynx 3D 7. The box had the retail price of $2999, just for one. I doubt the VA pays that much considering volume. VA/DOD are likely their #1 customer.

Having a speaker in your ear certainly will take care of the hearing loss issue. But I have also found my tinnitus is better for a few days after wearing them. Starkey sells some relatively inexpensive models (compared to the others), so I'm a little surprised they issue the high-dollar ones.

GN ReSound, Oticon, Phonak, Siemens (Signia), Starkey, and Widex are the brands they issue. Not sure why one over the other.
Waiting on them to come in.
Old 1 November 2018, 13:22
Anesthetized User

My wife just left the California Audiology Board as a Special Investigator. Fraud was her most common consumer complaint.

This covered furnishers as well as Aud.D's.

The massive mark up and level of fraud around hearing aids is crazy.

If you are out of pocket always say no to their listed price.

For clarity, Audiologists are only mentioned as a description of the Board. Fraud amongst Aud.D's is rare.

The hearing aid dispensers/furnishers are the problem. They set their own prices.

Support SOCNET.

Our new posting rules