SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 8 November 2018, 15:06
Authorized Personnel

Clindamycin

Anyone ever taken it? I was just prescribed it because the Amoxycillin I was on wasn't taking care of a tooth infection (infection under a crown).

However I just read the side effects and I don't want uncontrollable shits for the next 10 years of my life.

Now I'm worried I shouldn't take it which shows me I should never have checked the internet.
Old 8 November 2018, 15:22
Confirmed User

I was on it 3 week ago. Make sure you take it with food and I mean real food not a piece of toast. Taking it with just a cheese stick was bad.
Old 8 November 2018, 15:24
A/1/75

You still have teeth?

Charlie
Old 8 November 2018, 15:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
You still have teeth?
Shhh, I'll have to turn them over to WVU for study. They've never heard of these "teeth" things.

I read some of the side effects - like chronic mud butt - can appear as long as 2 months after finishing the dose, but being the internet I can't tell if the people who have the side effects are retards, subsist on ho hos and Mtn Dew, or are healthy people...
Old 8 November 2018, 15:39
Going cyclic!!

my youngest boy was allergic to it. But, my daughter has been prescribed. Just an antibiotic if I remember correctly
Old 8 November 2018, 18:05
Confirmed User

Go out and get some probiotics, called lactobacillus, and start taking them. Keep taking them 1-2 times a day until you have been off antibiotics for at least two weeks. You do not want antibiotic-associated diarrhea, or worse, c. Diff colitis. The probiotic is the best defense against that. It keeps healthy it bacteria in your colon, to fight off the bad bacteria, like clostridium.
Good luck,
Danny
Old 8 November 2018, 18:29
I reckon so. . .

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
Go out and get some probiotics, called lactobacillus, and start taking them. Keep taking them 1-2 times a day until you have been off antibiotics for at least two weeks. You do not want antibiotic-associated diarrhea, or worse, c. Diff colitis. The probiotic is the best defense against that. It keeps healthy it bacteria in your colon, to fight off the bad bacteria, like clostridium.
Good luck,
Danny
Chesie nailed it; fight the anti-biotic with the pro-b.

In other news I've used Thieves to great effect over the years to fight simple infx-symptoms of stuck food particles under dental work/teeth.

Young Living Thieves.
Old 8 November 2018, 19:34
Been There Done That

Clinda is a positive alternative if you are penicillin allergic.
Usually some Nuasea if taken IV, otherwise - generally not an issue.
Old 8 November 2018, 21:33
Very Deplorable

What he said. Common, long standing side effects are pretty rare. C. diff is possible but for a normal healthy adult male, less likely.
Generally speaking most antibiotic regimens can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, cramping, etc. Clindamycin is one of those that is a tougher antibiotic which potentiates those side effects by taking out a lot of your normal gut bacteria. Additionally, given the fact that you just completed a regimen of a different antibiotic- you’re most likely going to have the diarrhea because you’ve already eliminated some of your normal gut bugs and not the rest are getting a big hit- a one-two punch. It just is what it is. It’s a risk vs. benefit thing.

Should you not take them you risk an oral infection that can lead to multiple local or systemic problems including an abscess, a heart valve infection, or sepsis.

I would take the medication as the Amoxicillan didn’t work, indicating you have a tough bug that requires a tougher antibiotic. Likely getting the shits is better than getting a whopping oral infection that could cause you a lot more issues and take you out of the game for a while or permanently.

I would also take it as prescribed, until you’ve taken all of them, even if you think you’re feeling better or the symptoms are improving.

Last edited by justamedic; 8 November 2018 at 21:39.
Old 9 November 2018, 07:53
shiver me timbers

Take with food. Like it says on the label.

Pussy.

I’m currently on augmentin for a sinus infection, so I’m doing the same deal. Luckily the rhino-stunner pain meds I also take slow things down a bit.

Get well soon fucker

Our new posting rules